Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18) Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18)

Unread 04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Re: Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy

Hi Everyone,
A friend of mine told me when I was three weeks out and feeling frustrated that one day I'd be healthy and happy enough to reap the benefits of that pesky uterus. I had an awfully hard time believing her, since I was still in pain and had no energy. Now, at 6 1/2 weeks, I'm really starting to understand what she meant!
The idea of having this surgery can be very intimidating, as can the drive and desire to have everything be immediately okay when it's done. Keep reaching out for support and know that you will come through to the other side!
As far as having help at home after a couple of days, I would strongly suggest that you have someone on stand-by to take the pressure off of yourself. If you feel well enough to go it on your own, that's ok. If you want some company or an extra set of hands or a shoulder to cry on, that's ok too. Give yourself the freedom to decide then by covering your bases now.
Best of luck to all of you. You're not alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM

I had DH off work to be with me for the first week. After that I had my DS (who was 16 at the time) home with me all day as I had my surgery during the summer. I stayed in bed most of the first 10 days.
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenaeKayte View Post
How long did you have someone with you after surgery???I am having surgery on May 18th (it has changed since I started this thread), which is a Friday and I will be getting out on Saturday, then home the whole weekend.
I had my surgery on a Wednesday and DH stayed with me 5 days. I made him go back to work that Monday because he was driving me nuts. He was so worried about me that he was way overprotective and hovered over me. You will be able to stay alone after a few days but you really won't be able to do much other than lay around, go to the bathroom and make a sandwich for your lunch. Plus you'll be sleeping a lot. If you try doing too much, too soon you will set your recovery back by weeks or even months. This is your time to heal. Take advantage of any help you can get. You only get one chance to heal right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2012, 07:20 AM

I had a hard time processing that at 29 I had to have to have this surgery. I've been having issues and other treatments haven't been working.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM

It is very difficult. I have had many many tears and sleepless nights both before and after surgery. And nobody in my life really understands. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get past this, but I do my best each day and keep putting one foot in front of the other. That's all I can do. I understand.
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM

I know that this will be a day by day process.
Sometimes I am angry, sometimes I am sad and other times I am relieved.

I really didn't expect the angry and sad feelings as my husband and I had decided 22 years ago not to have any more children. So that is why I didn't expect the anger and sadness.

I will take all your advice about having someone with me.
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:47 PM

Hey GenaeKayte,

I was freaked out when I made the decision to have the operation (it would have been inevitable for me in a couple of years) and held on to the thought that it was going to fix the super heavy bleeding (when I had a period) and pretty much constant cramping.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 8 weeks ago and found when I got out of hospital I just didn't have the energy to do much so it was really useful to have people around to help out with things. I could do stuff like cooking dinner but bending down and stretching was was uncomfortable.

Over the last few weeks I've referred back many times to the hysterectomy checkpoints that are published here and gone 'yeah that's exactly what is happening to me!' - that is really useful info.
I've still got a way to go and but when I think about how I felt before the operation I don't regret having it done at all.

Good luck with everything

J..
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:49 PM

I am glad that I am not out of the ordinary in what I am going through as far as my emotions and concerns.

I am trying to get things done before surgery in my house. It is spring and I am doing a bit of cleaning and purging out of stuff that needs to find new homes.

I have my bedroom yet to take care of. I think things will be under control better in there once I get all the winter clothing put away for the summer.
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM

Your fears seem common and hopefully the help you get here will put your mind at ease. I wish I would have found it before I got my surgery. I am 1 week post op today. Total abdominal hysterectomy using the daVinci. I kept both ovaries. Days have been up & down but by far I do not regret my surgery. My doctor had a pump called the OnQ attached to my insides that delivered a local anesthetic to my surgical site for 2 days. I would definitely recommend if your dr does it. I even went home with it. I agree that the waiting for the surgery was the worse of what I've gone through. Good luck to you.
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Even thougth i am scheduled for a hysterechtomey and a tummy tuck at the same time, I am still a little undecided. I am 52 and going through menapause. I only have very large uterine fibroids, and my abdomin sticks way out, and I have heavy periods and spotting in between. I wish I knew if this fidroid condition will just go away after finishing menepause. Do I really need this surgery, or will I get better natuarally with age? I put up with it this long...should I go for the surgery and be done with it, or put it off longer?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register