Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18) Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18)

Unread 04-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Re: Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy

RockiesSister, did it effect your sex life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM

hi. zbh.
My neighbor also had a very big fibroid, she has not gone through menopause, but the fibroids have stopped forming.

You should ask your surgeon or doctor to get a better answer.

I would say if I were in your situation I would go through the surgery. My thinking is that you are probably uncomfortable. You are 52 now, how long will it be before you get done with menopause? My thinking in asking that question is the younger a person is I would think it is easier to heal up and get around after surgery.

I would weigh the pros and cons of waiting.
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM

So, you would do it?
Yes, i am uncomfortable, but I am so used to it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM

GenaeKayte, thanks for the reply....very helpful. It is also hard for me because I have no children.
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM

oh zbh...that would be hard to face a hysterectomy and not have children.

Yes I would do it if I had fibroids, uncomfortable and it is changing how I live my life.

Is the fibroid in your uterus or outside your uterus?
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:27 PM

zbh, I don't know about it affecting sex life, I'll be 5 weeks post-op on Thursday so have another week before I see my doctor to discuss whether or not it's okay to go there. As far as drive, I feel better so it's made me feel even closer to my husband instead of wanting him to leave me alone, so . . . things are looking up, as my husband said. LOL! I think drive is better at this point.

Seriously, I am 45 and I had a full hysterectomy. I had three ovarian cysts and just thought I'd have my ovaries removed since my Mom had painful issues with hers and my doctor said it's not easy to go back in to remove them. I was terrified to make a decision about having surgery, then about whether or not to remove ovaries. I finally decided that I'm probably not far from menopause, anyway, that at my age and with the issues that it was time that I just feel better and have a better quality of life. My doctor told me that she thought that most women don't realize how much issues with their cycle affects their lives and I have to say that I think she was right! From where I'm at now at 5 weeks (tomorrow), it is still not a walk in the park because of exhaustion, but I am SO glad I went forward, just not having the cramps and bleeding was worth it already!! It can only get better from here. Also, I'm on HRT and so far I am running a little warm but have not had any hot flashes and it has helped with the night sweats I got for a year before surgery.
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:15 PM

I'm also trying to get my head around surgery. I have had heavy and painful periods for the last 3 years that are slowly getting worse and closer together, to the point where my iron levels were dangerously low and they were threatening to transfuse me with iron. I have 4 sisters, one of them had a hysterectomy for cervical cancer, one had a hysterectomy at 52 for uncontrollable bleeding and fibroids, and one has had an ablation, so genetics are not on my side! I was booked in for an ablation but the ultrasound showed multiple large fibroids, one of 7cm in the muscle at the top of the uterus, and my uterus is too enlarged and distorted for an ablation to be successful. the gynie said we could try but the chances of success and pretty slim. I went on the pill to try and control the bleeding but it had no effect except to make me grumpy as hell. So given the family history and that my other options are exhausted, I'm going for a lap hyst on13th June. Although I know logically it's a good choice, I';m still scared to death! The last surgery I had was a tooth extraction under general 31 years ago.... Somebody please allay my fears?
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM

Trogdor, I was in similar situation for over two years but didn't know I was anemic, had a large fibroid, uterine pollup and ovarian cysts until I went in to see if the pill might help. Doctor offered ablation but only small chance it would work and a close friend that had one said to just have the hysterectomy so I decided to go with the hysterectomy option. It is really scary to think about surgery, even when you have already had one, but for me that was the worst part of all of this, the unknown during the wait to the surgery date.

My surgery was 5 weeks ago today, I had ovaries removed, too, and even with recovery issues of pain for a few weeks and exhaustion, it was worth it and I feel so much better. I do NOT miss the two horrible periods I would have had by now!! Hang in there and use this site, it was a lifesaver as my doctor didn't prepare me for anything. The videos under the post-op were very helpful to watch to know what to expect. Good luck - it will be better!
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:27 PM

RockiesSister

"The scary unknown" does cross my mind, but I am trying to get a small garden planted before my surgery next week. Just some lettuce and pansies, but something to make me get off the sofa post-surgery.

I saw a saying somewhere --"success is messy."

From the many posts here, before and after this surgery can get messy. It has helped to listen to other women's stories to be aware of some pitfalls and solutions to the problems that arise.

Not as scary and messy, if i feel I am not alone.
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Fibroids are inside and outside uterus. Otherwise, i am in failry good health. I wonder if I should tough it out through menapause....but that could take years! I am 52 and not in bad shape other than my huge stomach area. Nurse at work said something smart....I siad I only notice when i am NOT in pain! She reminded me that is not normal. My quality of life could be better I guess, but I do not remember being really "comfortable" Wierd huh? My husband throwing in a tummy tuck with this surgery shoudl make me feel happy...???

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register