Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18) - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18) Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18)

Unread 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Re: Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy

I keep seeing where some sisters have their appendix removed too. Is that something the surgeon decided during the surgery or did you discuss it beforehand?

Not trying to be dense here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM

But, are we sure we do not EVER need our uterus for anything for our own health?
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:55 PM

I never heard of that myself. Sounds like a different health issue to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2012, 01:58 PM

zbh

I thought I could tough it out until menopause, but I am 55 and had watched and waited. Then had pelvic pain in December where they found two cysts on an ultrasound.

After two rounds of provera and no period for two months I realized how tired and onery watching and waiting had made me.

I think it is a personal decision. there is more knowledge and info than ever before but still more to be learned. Like making a decision holding the tail of the elephant when someone else is holding the elephant's ear. you do the best you can.

Not meant to be medical advice!
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:03 PM

need our uterus

I decided I want to be alive and get to know my new granddaughter.

If I keep my uterus and my bad ovary, I may not be able to do that. I need to be healthy, not plagued by an onery ovary that will not quit.

Everyone is different, but we have similarities. Just what works for me, may not work for you. But we can talk about it.
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:22 PM

When the word hysterectomy came up I thought my world was going to end…. I am 6 weeks post op and I feel better and healthier than ever!!!!! I had the DaVinci robotic hysterectomy….. The day of my surgery I do not remember much but by the next day (discharge day) I felt ok very sleepy but okay…. My recovery was great I returned to work on my 3rd week… I do have fatigue but I have been managing it with vitamins and a workout routine…. After my surgery my eating habits changed; I no longer can drink any carbonated drinks or heavy carbs so all I have been drinking is lemon water and eating very light foods …. Once I was cleared by my Dr. on the 3rd week I started working out in the gym and I have lost 20 lbs since my surgery…. I feel wonderful better than I ever have my entire life….. Before my surgery I would wake up with a headache every day and have a migraine at least twice a month, I have not had a headache or migraine since my surgery…. I guess my hysterectomy has cure more than just a bad uterus…. I wish I would have know that this is how I was going to feel now because I would have done this years ago…
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM

In my mind the only reason we need our uterus is for creating children.

I googled this and someone asked the same question, so maybe do a search on the forum for an answer.

To not have the surgery when you know there is a problem is up to you. Personally I do not like to feel those symptoms. I had ablation surgery for heavy bledding two years ago. It was great not to have a monthly, but then it started up again and now it has been going on since January.

I do not like the feeling of constantly spotting. It is uncomfortable and with summer coming, no thankyou.

Like I stated earlier, my uterus is enlarged and I am uncomfortable with that too.

ZBH, I would say you have to make the call on whether or not to have the surgery. You know your comfort level while waiting.

Taking the appendix, I would say that is a dr. call, maybe the person's appendix looked like it was time or close to time and the dr. just saved the person another surgery. who knows.
Unread 04-19-2012, 03:19 PM

GenaeKayte

It does seem like a doctor's call about the appendix.

And why do I feel like Forest Gump and that box of chocolates "where you never know what you're gonna get?"
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:23 PM

pinkbud,
Really if you think about it, do they fully know what they are dealing with before surgery. I mean yes stuff shows up on MRI's, CAT Scans, and ultra sounds but until they get inside then that is the only way for sure.(my opinion anyway)
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Genae Kayte

I think you're right--some of what happens, happens during surgery.

I will go with a list- what they can and cannot remove or install. Stickers or smiley faces for different organs and bodyparts. See attached roadmap for surgery.

I am getting punchy--have to have humor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register