What to wear after surgery (esp for back to work)? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to wear after surgery (esp for back to work)? What to wear after surgery (esp for back to work)?

Unread 04-05-2012, 07:52 AM
What to wear after surgery (esp for back to work)?

With my surgery just days away on 4-10-12, I am getting anxious now and going into super-planning mode. I went and got enough groceries to feed an army for a month with plans laid out for hubby of easy meals and am getting all the pre and post op things I am reading that I will need. There is one thing I am not seeing here....what does everyone WEAR for the first month after surgery? I know that will vary a lot, so I thought it would be good to throw out there. I have several pairs of yoga pants, but I know I can't wear yoga pants to work at a law office in a couple of weeks. Well, I probably could according to the lawyers I work for, but the office manager would have a cow. SO--I am going shopping this weekend and going to see if I can find a few cheap sundresses that I wear over little tanks or tees with sandles that can help ease the back to work transition if I have swelly belly.

What are you going to be wearing....or what DID you wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Re: What to wear after surgery (esp for back to work)?

There are all sorts of dressy trousers now that have a touch of spandex in them that are pretty comfy. Dresses and skirts work as well. Some ladies went in for maternity pants-Target has a decent maternity section that is inexpensive. Other ladies wore Spanx. I personally couldn't tolerate that compression feeling; too painful. Oddly, I think professional attire was more comfy than casual, except for yoga pants-how do I love yoga pants : ) Remember that you will be sitting, so do a test run and see what waistband height works best for you. I went with low rise. It worked great. Good luck to you and I wish you a smooth recovery.
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:36 AM

I had the daVinci procedure and do not work, but your idea sounds wonderful and cute for work

Hope everything goes well for you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2012, 09:40 AM

I had a TVH and went back to work after 3 1/2 weeks. I'm wearing my regular work clothes. I've lost about 8 pounds since surgery so that gave me a little wiggle room and I change into yoga pants as soon as I get home. But, really, I haven't had too much swelling. I'm just tired...
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM

I'm 9 days post op, I had a Da Vinci hysterectomy. I think a lot will depend on how high your incisions are and how much swelling you have. I was only swollen for a couple days; I can already fit back in my normal pants. However, my incisions (I have four little ones) are on the level of my belly button, and so wearing pants with a waistband that rubs them is annoying and a little painful. I've been wearing lower-waisted pants with no problem, though. I haven't had to go back to work yet, so I am also mostly living in yoga pants and changing into jeans only if I have to go outside.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM

At home I lived in really comfy drawstring pajama pants and sweats.

When I went back to work - in a very casual office - I wore sweats for the first week, then went to some khakis with stretch waistbands that were a size larger then I normally wear. (thank goodness for clearance sales!)

I love the sundress idea - wish those would have been out when I first went back to work.
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:21 PM

Good question b\c i was wondering if i should buy some clothes. i read underwear 2 sizes bigger. as for regular clothes, i wondered about maternity or buy some cheap dress or drawsting pants at walmart. i think my hysterectomy will be in late may so the weather may be warm enough for a sundress.
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Hi!!

When I went back to work, one week post-op from my lap, I had a very swelly belly! I had one pair of stretchy and billowy black dress pants, wore them non-stop! Luckily, they would go all the way up to my bra, so that worked! I was not in my regular slacks, with an elastic waist band, until three weeks post op.

This go, around, I will have to be off for at least four weeks. So, I found a LARGE clearance section at my Wal-Mart with last-year's left overs. Two sundresses for $5! I am looking at sundresses for lounging. Plus, I feel more feminine anyway!
Unread 04-06-2012, 03:00 PM

I currently wear mostly PJs - love it

But at work, when I go back, I wear scrubs, so...no issues there, haha! It's kind of like wearing PJs all day there, too, just not cozy flannel ones.

If I do have to wear street clothes for some reason (client meeting or training off-site), I will wear elastic cargos or my 'fat' jeans. Another possibility is some nice athletic pants (you know, those really nice Adidas trainers that look pretty much like slacks, no stripes - a lot of women wear those where I work and it's hard to tell that they are actually work out attire). Just some ideas.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register