Post op nightmare | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op nightmare Post op nightmare

Unread 04-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Post op nightmare

I'm having a terrible post op ordeal. I had Da Vinci total hysterectomy April 4 8:30AM. Surgery went well. The nursing staff was not able to properly control my pain as they had to constantly call my doctors resident doctor and there was always slow sand bad communication. It was 5PM the day of surgery before my pain was controlled properly. I had a diludid drip and eventually percocet. . Nursing staff did not ever let me walk or get out of bed, My DH called my Dr first thing in the morning and told his nurse about the unmanageable pain problems, problems with the resident and nurses communicating her orders, and being left in bed.. My Dr immediately left her office and came to my hospital room She was very upset her orders were not being followed.. My DH told her the quality of my care at this hospital was substandard and he told her he could take better care of me at home. At 10 AM she wrote me a prescription for percocet, had IV meds and catheter removed, told us we could go home, but to cal her about meds and pain because the percocet may not be enough once the IV drip was out of my system .and she was concerned about me leaving because I seemed way to ill to leave at this time, but she agreed the staff here wasn't making it any better.. It then took 5 hours for the hospital to discharge me. My DH had to call my dr twice to get thing moving along. I sat in my regular clothes with no catheter or IV and zero nursing care waiting for a wheelchair and a paper to be signed by the resident It was ridiculous. Finally I got home. At home, 2 hours after I took my percocet the pain came back so strong it woke me up from my sleep crying. I called the doctor expecting she'd adjust my dose, but she said I needed to go to the Emergency Room for a cat scan and some other tests. I was not bleeding, no fever, nothing, I felt I just needed stronger meds. DH and I were furious, but decides better safe than sorry so off to ER we went. 6 hours before we were released. All tests were normal;, but I was never fed and never given anything to drink. I did have a pain IV, so pain was ok, but this was no way for a post op patient to be recovering. The cat scan itself was trauma for my body. They wanted to do a pelvic on me and my DH and I refused. We were so mad. We knew there was nothing wrong with me except pain meds were not strong enough. My Dr was letting her resident handle this and her resident got caught up in a OB delivery, so that is why we sat and at waiting, even after all tests came back good, we couldn't leave till the resident saw us. When she got there she looked at my belly, told us all tests were good, I needed better pain meds. ( DUH) and she wrote a prescription for the exact same pill, but a higher mg. Funny thing is it said take one every 4 hours and the lower dose pill I previously had said take 2 every 4 hours, so basically I was prescribed the EXACT same dose I went in there with. Have I said yet how mad we were. We packed up, left for home, and decided we would take the pills as we saw needed and not worry much about their dosing directions. What a nightmare. Arrived home ( again) at midnight. Have been controlling pain fine now with a dose and a half of what she prescribed. Didn't sleep last night or surgery night at all. . Had a bad reaction to ambien the dr prescribed last night. I'm Exhausted and feeling mentally and physically traumatized by all of this. . I just want to heal and get better. My Dr has not even called to check on me and I am actually AFRAID to call her now with any problems. This morning I took miralax ( what a huge mistake) had diarrhea and vomiting for the next 3 hours. I actually pooped my pants while vomiting in the sink. Just embarrassing.. My nausea has subsided as well as the headache I had all day. I am finally able to rest peacefully in bed with only mild pain. Can't walk alone as I am weak ans dizzy from lack of food and dehydration. Been trying to drink more this evening.I'm praying the nightmare is over and tomorrow I can get on with the normal business of healing and resting like I am supposed to be doing..Thank you so much for letting me vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Re: Post op nightmare

Oh my gosh! I cannot even imagine what you have went through. You are in my prayers. I wish I knew what to tell you but I don't. I am amazed when read stories like this and the lack of care in some hospitals.
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:10 PM

I cry a lot. I am so traumatized by this. I don't understand why each time it thought one nightmare was over, the next one started.I just want to get well and I am so sad and sick.The worst part is I am afraid to call my doctor. Diarrhea is back and I am very dehydrated, Keep drinking but it goes right through me. Can't eat much either.Thanks for listening to me, it helps!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2012, 10:42 PM

So sorry to hear about your experience...Please don't be afraid to call your doctor..call if you don't feel "right"..It's your body and you know it best. Continue to call unit you get a response...

Assuming all your tests are free and clear of complications, strong pains meds often have nausea, diarrhea and bad head aches as side effects. That was my experience with them. Especially the dillauted and perocet. Ironically, the meds they give you for the nausea have migraines as a side effect also.

Try to put something light in your belly, like toast or oatmeal.. I didn't eat anything for the first few days because I was nauseated and just wanted to be out of the hospital and in my own bed.

Remember, you are not alone!

Sending healing prayers and positive energy your way! xoxox
Unread 04-07-2012, 12:17 AM

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry! Hugs and prayers your way for sure.

Please keep a close eye on your dehydration, vomiting and diarrhea. If it doesn't improve within a day or so, please go to any doctor right away. It could be an infection that needs serious antibiotics. I'm not trying to scare you. My mother had similar symptoms following a gastric surgery and she ended up with C-DIFF.

I hope that you feel better soon!
Unread 04-07-2012, 12:21 AM

I agree that you need to call your doctor asap or head to the ER again. Like Stacy said, you could be dealing with something other than normal diarrhea. Please get back to us with how you are doing.
Unread 04-07-2012, 12:58 AM

Thank you all for your prayers and words of encouragement. The headache is gone now, last bought of diarrhea was 2 hours ago, and nausea has subsided. I managed to eat a yogurt and some cranberry juice a half hour ago and have been drinking water as well.I'm hoping tomorrow will be a bit better, hopefully I will sleep tonight. I am able to control my pain with motrin and percocet. I'm keeping the doses as low as possible as to not add to the nausea and such. I'd be lost without my hystersisters. I can not tell you how grateful I am for your support.
Unread 04-08-2012, 07:49 PM

I am glad that you are starting to feel better. After you have recovered a bit please make sure you take time to write down your experience with the hospital and send it to the all of the higher ups at the hospital. They need to know what lousy care they are providing.
Here's to a speedy recovery
Unread 04-08-2012, 07:57 PM

What a total nightmare, I am so, so sorry for you, I can't imagine going through what you've gone through immediately following a surgery, it's just mind-boggling. I agree with the others that the meds may be making you sick, hopefully you can check with the dr if the gi issues persist, you can also ask for anti-nausea meds, etc.

I just wanted to say that after everything you've gone through, please don't feel afraid to call your doctor. Honestly, at this point, they should be more afraid of you! Really, your doctor's office should be nothing but 150% responsive to you at this point, and I agree, it would be good once you are better to report any concerning lack of care to the hospital administrator, they really need to know what you just went through.

Big hugs and hope that you get to get some VERY well deserved rest ASAP!
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:11 PM

I plan on writing some sort of letter at a later time when I have my thoughts a bit clearer. Luckily I can use my hystersister posts as my notes for reference.Can't thank you all enough for your kind words. It was a holiday weekend, and am doing better today, but am thinking Monday morning I should call my doctors office to update them on things. I called yesterday , but got the run around ,on call resident thing again.
Today has been a good day, finally. Pain is managed, I slept last night for the first time. ( Didn't take the prescribed sleeping pills, chickened out, as the original Ambien she prescribed gave me some sort of a bad reaction, Hubby said I went temporarily insane from them). Appetite is back, nausea not so bad, and I have been eating and drinking lots of water, walking a lot, and resting the rest of the time. It is nice to finally be sore and have a little pain instead of being in horrible unmanageable pain. I hate the side effects of my meds, so each day will be weaning down slowly now that the pain is bearable.. My DH is taking super good care of me. I think he likes it. Today he said I should get sick more often. He's playing a lot of video games in between playing nurse maid and housekeeper. he says it beats hard labor any day, as he took 2 weeks off work to help me recover. ( My Mom was going to come for 2 weeks and he said absolutely not, she'd drive us both crazy!). I have been sore, but in good spirits. Today is the first day I have not felt drugged and sickly, just sore and slow! My 6 year old Grandson came over for a short visit today and I paid him a quarter for each task he did for me. Got my out door bird feeders filled and a bunch of small items I have dropped on the floor the past few days picked up. He was busy playing so eventually he looked at me and said, " I got enough quarters now." It was funny! I'm back on the road to a normal recovery and grateful for all of you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register