When can i drive? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When can i drive? When can i drive?

Unread 04-06-2012, 11:34 PM
When can i drive?

I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but i'm not sure how to look for old posts. anyways, I am wondering how soon everyone was able to drive. Is the only factor being on pain meds? I'm sure my dr will advise me, but i'm trying to figure out where to recover. my mom's house is less than 10 miles, but she cannot drive and i don't know anyone in that area. my house is about a 30-45 min drive from the dr & hospital. i hope to drive in 6-7 days; is that realistic? i read another post saying 2 weeks in which case, i think i'm better off at my house where i have friends to help. I'm anticipating laproscopic hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Re: When can i drive?

I had a TAH and when I went in 7 days postop to get staples removed my doctor said I could begin driving. I did drive just a few miles the next day and I got sore. A good idea is to have a small pillow between your belly and the seat belt for comfort. Your doctor will tell you when you can drive. I wouldn't drive until he says it is okay.
Unread 04-06-2012, 11:46 PM

if you live alone and u dont have anyone to help you where u live then i would suggest for you to stay at your moms house for first week or two as you say you also have friends near to where your mom lives...so yes i would advise you stay at your moms...everyones body is different in how we recover and until your actually in post op recovery you wont know how your body will heal...but overall its very important in early recovery to have good supportive friends or family around to help you..I hope this helps you...peace be with u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM

I had a tah and am at day 15. I would be able to drive short distances now, but it would not be very safe. The main reason is that when you have an injury your first thought is to protect the area. If you pull the wrong way on your stomach while you are driving and it hurts then you may lose you concentration or jerk the steering wheel etc. I wouldn't recommend driving until you are ready, and until you have been cleared by the doctor. Best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 04-07-2012, 01:07 PM

They told me no driving for two weeks, and not then if I was on narcotic pain medicines. I had a daVinci, so minimal incisions. They said after two weeks if I felt like it wouldn't hurt me to drive it would be okay.

Ask the doctor, because it depends to some extent on your type of surgery and the medications you're on.

Not to try to scare you, but if you're staying at your mom's and she can't drive and you don't know anyone in the area, then IF something happened and you were to have problems and need to return to the doctor, you would have transportation issues.
Unread 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM

Yeah, there are pros and cons staying with my mom and at my house. She does have a hospital close to her, but i do not. Her house is one story; i have stairs. I guess i was thinking that i'd be able to drive sooner b\c my Dr said i could return to the gym in a week. I think i'd be more likely to overdo it if i went to the gym than driving.
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Linniechanel, I responded to your post earlier, and i just realized i totally misread your post,..sorry bout that,,,Peace be with u
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:43 PM
When can i drive?

My dr told me no driving until I could slam on my brakes in an emergency
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:36 AM

The only driving restriction I had was that I could not be on narcotic pain medication. I started driving on day 5. I usually walk my kids to school in the morning, but since I couldn't walk, I had to drive them. It was only a mile in each direction, so it was okay.
Unread 04-09-2012, 02:07 AM

I think your doctor is crazy to say you can go to the gym in a week. I had di Vinci and my dr said no driving until after my 2 week check up when she sees me. I'm not allowed to do anything but walk and rest until she sees me at 2 weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register