When can i drive? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When can i drive? When can i drive?

Unread 04-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: When can i drive?

I had an LSH, and drove on post-op day 5. It's not just being on narcotics, it's also considering that you use your abdominal muscles a lot in driving -- especially, like someone else already mentioned, if you need to slam on your brakes suddenly. I didn't drive very far at first, about a 10-mile round-trip. Didn't have any problems with the seat belt (I would strongly advise against placing a pillow between the belt and your body, for safety reasons!) and my truck is an automatic so pretty easy to drive. The worst part for me was driving on uneven ground.

As far as going back to the gym after a week, that's not so crazy! My GYN said I could resume normal activity whenever I felt up to it, that I should take it easier for about a week but after that it was up to me. Take your doctor's advice and instructions to heart -- they know more about you and your body and the procedure that was done to you than anyone else does!

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2012, 11:20 PM

I found out that a friend from the gym had a hysterectomy years ago and said her ab muscles did hurt when she drove. i was hoping to drive from my mom's to my house on Memorial day weekend when the traffic is a little lighter. would wearing the abdominal binder help?

i am a little afraid of returning to the gym soon, especially if i gained weight. I'm the type to push pretty hard until i'm really sweating. I've been away from the gym as much as 2 weeks, on vacation, so I know i can stay away that long. Maybe i'm more worried about missing all the gossip at the gym!
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:33 AM

I wore my abd binder 24/7 for the first 2 weeks post-op. It seemed to help especially when I needed to use my ab muscles (like getting out of bed, bending over to pick things up, etc.). Memorial Day is a ways away yet, and I don't know how long your drive would be, but as long as your doctor okays it, it should be alright. I found that working on building my stamina in short doses was very helpful.

LOL at missing the gym gossip!! I know what you mean, about pushing yourself, though! You'll just have to be REALLY self-disciplined and not let yourself work THAT hard, yet. Force yourself to work slower, and really listen to your body -- it will let you know when you've overdone it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register