Very undecided about keeping ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very undecided about keeping ovaries Very undecided about keeping ovaries

Unread 04-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Very undecided about keeping ovaries

Hi everyone, I am having my hysterectomy monday. I am so undecided about my ovaries. I am 56 years old, haven't been through menopause yet, close though. One ovary has to go large painful cyst. My mother and sister breast cancer. My doc recommended removing both ovaries due to cancer risk high . However, I understand that the ovaries still produce small amounts of hormones that are important for health. More important I am nervous about instant menopause and having to take HRT if symptoms bad. HRT may put me at risk for breast cancer. Any feedback on this, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Re: Very undecided about keeping ovaries

i'm keeping just the left ovary to keep from being put into instant menopause.. my right one was always the one that bothered me, so i'm gonna try just keeping the left. hopefully it wont' start hurting like the right one does... my mom/grandmom/sister also had breast cancer... i'm 42, and figure, one ovary vs hrt.. i'll go for the ovary.
Unread 04-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Keep them if you can, nothing replaces them. Surgical menapause has its own issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2012, 06:32 PM

I allowed the doctor to remove BOTH ovaries.
1. One ovary had fibroids and cysts on it. This was causing me pain.
2. I had endometriosis, and was bleeding heavily 3 weeks out of 4.
3. I had a prolapsed uterus.
4. I had pre-cancerous cells (Complex Atypical Hyperplasia) that may or MAY NOT have "turned" cancerous. I did not wish to "roll the dice."
5. The doctor told me that leaving one ovary in may cause problems later on, and necessitate another surgery.
6. As it turned out, the ovary with problems had a borderline proliferating tumor in it. Not malignant, but not benign. An interesting tumor. It was just there, "lying in wait" for the right time to become active and change to malignant, or never to change at all.
7. I am 55, and was 54 at the time. I could have used an ovary, but didn't want to risk cancer.
8. My sister was diagnosed with colon-rectal cancer (Adenocarcinoma) a couple of months ago. Since my threat was Uterine cancer, the doctors suspect "Lynch's Syndrome," a cancer condition that exists amongst family lines. If I allow genetic testing and I test positive for this gene, my siblings and children will have at least twice or more the chance of getting other cancers. The usual culprits are breast and colon-rectal cancers.
My sister can also get Uterine cancer as a secondary cancer.

9. The oncology surgeon also refused to give me HRT.
HRT, because I was "prone to cancers," he said. HRT has caused an increased incidence of cancer, when used long term in some women.

Keep in mind that I am 56, not 42. Also, I hate to gamble. Other people are fine with it, but I am not.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Given what has happened to me, I chose to get them both out. It is a personal and difficult decision.
Unread 04-07-2012, 06:35 PM

I am having my right one removed, as it has always had cysts. Keeping the left and hoping it will kick in, being Polycystic, who knows?

Good Luck Monday!!
Unread 04-08-2012, 02:03 AM

I really wanted to keep my ovaries due to my age, which is 42, and the fact that I was no where near menopause yet. My doctor and I agreed if the ovaries were healthy to leave them. Unfortunately, they were both covered in cysts and endometriosis so he took them both.
I definitely felt the instant menopause, and I was miserable. I'm using the Vivelle dot now and its going well.
Unread 04-08-2012, 07:00 AM

What is the Vivelle ?
Thanks a lot
Unread 04-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Its estrogen patch. Change twice weekly it bioidentical and does not pass the liver comes in 4 doses. Easy to use I like it now but struggeled with dose at first
Unread 04-08-2012, 02:16 PM

Yep. Exactly what Vonnie said. I read about it on here and asked my doctor to try it. I am lucky that I have a great doctor who really listens and is willing to be a partner in my care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register