question about 24 hours before and Easter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about 24 hours before and Easter question about 24 hours before and Easter

Unread 04-07-2012, 07:46 PM
question about 24 hours before and Easter

Hi,

Ok, Easter is this Sunday and there is a big meal planned around 2pm...and I have to be at the hospital by 7 on April 9 to do stuff before surgery whenever that will be...I am wondering about the 24 hours....the Pre-Op Info on here states to eat light 24 hours before. So what do you do on a holiday like Easter? I am assuming just take it easy, don't over stuff yourself?

So, I guess that is what I am going to do...eat what I can and not overdo it. And of course, I can eat some stuff before midnight....after that nothing.....

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Re: question about 24 hours before and Easter

Hi Stephanie!

I think youre right. Also no heavy foods like Pizza or cheesesteak.

My "day before diet" is clear liquids only ...so broth, jello, apple juice, here I come!
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Don't be tempted by a big holiday meal. I had my surgery April 4. My pre op 24 hours orders were clear liquids only.Follow your pre op instructions to the letter, no matter how tempting the holiday feast may be. ( I'd stay home personally an not even look at the food). There are tons and tons of posts on here in the post op section of sisters having nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and constipation problems post op. Seriously, none of those things are fun post op. There is a reason for the food restrictions and please follow so you don't regret it later when your in post op pain. I had only sprite, broth, and jello 24 hours before surgery.My 2 day post op day consisted of constant diarrhea and vomiting. Extremely painful. I can't imagine how it would have been had I eaten a heavy holiday feast the day before.There will be Easter next year, skip it tomorrow so your not tempted to eat all that good stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2012, 09:07 PM

I ate regularly the day before surgery. My doctor only did a mild bowel prep which didn't work well but I was OK.
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Hi Stephanie...I have to be at the hospital at 6am on Monday for SAH. Doctor's orders were not to eat after midnight, no bowel prep. My plan is to eat light at our Easter dinner, also at 2pm. A little ham, lots of veggies, salad, plain baked potato. I'll stay away from the cheeses, fried artichokes and anything with too much fat. Fruit for dessert. Lots of tea and water. I think its important to keep up your strength and get some good rest before surgery. So if your dr. says to eat light, do it!!
Good luck to you, see you on the other side!! Buona Pasqua!!
Laura
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:36 PM

Thank you for the warning and I will be careful. To err on the side of caution, I decided to call the hospital where the surgery is taking place and talked to one of the nurses on duty. He told me to take it easy and not over do it. Then starting at 6, to go easy and do the clear liquid and such. My DH and I live with MIL and that is where the meal is. I am planning on taking it easy and not overdoing it. I will eat a light meal since I do not want to get sick.

Thank you for the warning, Cathb911... I will heed it. I just wanted to make sure from the nurse what I was actually able to do. And I will read the posts also. When I did the date for the surgery, i did not realize that Easter would be the day before. Appreciate the advice also.

Stephanie
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:57 PM

I didn't want to scare you, but I followed all orders and still spent yesterday vomiting and with diarrhea. I was glad I didn't have EXTRA food in there to expel! Was very painful!Just take it easy and don't be tempted to gorge.After surgery all bowel functions wil be of concern to you, so don't add to it just for a holiday. I'm post op and won't be eating Easter dinner as I'm still only able to nibble on crackers and such from post op complications. After surgery you'll find that food and bowel movements become a serious issue . I didn't really realize that pre op, but I sure do now. I stocked up on all these goodies to eat when I got home from the castle and am starving, but can't eat them!! lol
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Thank you, Laura...your post came after I had posted. Thank you for your post, it also helped me in my decision. As I said in the previous post, i will eat light: eat some chicken(she is having ham and chicken since I don't eat ham), some mashed potatoes, veggies. I will most likely drink lots of water since I will not be able to after midnight. So thank you all for your posts and responses. I will be careful and heedful of the warnings.

Stephanie
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:25 PM

I agree with the previous ladies. Eat very light.

My instructions said eat light. But I ended up being so busy that day that I ate a light dinner at 8pm. The next morning with no breakfast to get the food train chugging, I felt like my intestines were full. And after anesthesia and pain meds, which slow digestion way down, I knew my first BM was going to be hard (in more ways than one!) So after surgery, I took the max on stool softeners, Colace, Citrucel. After TAH/SAH you do NOT want to strain your stitches with bowel movements.

Take it from those who have been there--after surgery, "The First Bowel Movement" takes on epic proportion. (Crazy, huh!) Sometimes it's your ticket out of the hospital!! So anything you can do to make those first few bm's easy--you'll be glad you did!

And another tip I got from here. Someone said not to drink the sweet stuff for your first meal after surgery. It can make you nauseated. Even though I was hungry, I just drank the broth. I tasted the jello and juice and decided that it wasn't worth it. I'd rather be hungry than sick.

Have your family save you some food for when your appetite comes back after surgery. It will taste so good then--after having hospital food!
Unread 04-08-2012, 01:26 AM

Just follow what you were told. I was told I could eat anything I wanted to so I had pizza and cheese bread with some beer battered chicken and fries for dinner and then I had ice cream for dessert. This was all okay with my doctor and I had no bowel prep and no problems with a having a BM but I did walk a lot in the hospital as soon as I was able and I drank about a gallon or more of water a day from day 1. My nurse was super impressed that every time I pottied, I filled the little hat about 3/4 of the way full and I did that about 8 times the second day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register