Pre-op and no food restrictions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op and no food restrictions Pre-op and no food restrictions

Unread 04-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Pre-op and no food restrictions

I am so confused!! I am starting to think my dr isn't very caring. She has been an ob/gyn for 19 years so i am trying to trust her years of experience but I am now nervous.

I am scheduled for a TLH on Thursday. I went in a few days before my scheduled pre-op apt so she had me fill out my paperwork that day. I wan't prepared for a pre-op apt at that time so I didn't get to ask questions. I have no idea if my uterus will come through my vagina or a port hole, I have no idea what a vagina cuff is, and no idea what recovery will be like.

My food restrictions are not to eat for 8 hours beforehand. She told me since my surgery is at 2pm, I could eat breakfast at 6 if I wanted to. Here, I read all about liquid diets and bowl cleanses. She told me I have no restrictions after the surgery and can do whatever I want except no sex for 6 weeks.

She really seems to be making the surgery out to be a piece of cake. Am I wrong to feel a bit worried tht she isn't giving me much information? I feel like I need to follow the orders that are mostly posted online here because it seems like the vast majority of everyone is on a liquid diet.

Did anyone eat normally before their surgery and regret it? I was told that we would discuss post-op instructions after the surgery. I feel like I am going into this surgery with no real information other than that she will make 3 small incisions in my stomach and the recovery will be easy. That is all she has told me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Re: Pre-op and no food restrictions

Everyone is different, surgeries are different, and doctors are have individual preferences.

Not all women do a bowel cleanse before their surgeries. Regarding diet, I don't know what is most common. As your surgery is at 2 PM, she may want you to eat something that morning. You should follow your doctor's instructions.

For me (I had TAH BSO) and on the day before surgery was told to have a light breakfast and light lunch, and then did a liquid diet after that. I did a bowel cleanse. My surgery was in the late morning, so my anesthesiologist wanted me to PUSH fluids until 7 AM on the day of my surgery. (I am also hypoglycemic).

A vaginal cuff is created when they remove the uterus and cervix. They seal the top of the vagina - think tube sock and you will have a good idea of what it looks like.

My written restrictions for post-op recovery were no sex for six weeks, no lifting of 10 lbs or more for six weeks (a gallon of milk weighs 8.5 lbs), and no driving for about 2 or 3 weeks. The rest was really dictated by my body and what I felt capable of doing - which was not much. I needed help with dishes, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc. This is a time when you really have to listen to your body, and let it dictate what you can do.

Hope that helps....

(((Hugs)))
Unread 04-08-2012, 12:22 AM

Hi, I havent had my visit to the castle yet, but wanted to offer some "help". My surgeon is not having me do a bowel prep either & all I have been told is nothing after midnight (but my surgery is at 10am).
From my past experiences with female surgeries I plan on eating much lighter foods than usual the 2 days pre-op & having more fruit, veggies, & pushing the fluids. I will be making sure Im not heading to castle being even mildly constipated. After a prior surgery I had HORRIBLE problems trying to have that ever impt 1st bowel movement & I wouldnt wish it on anyone! I will likely take at least a stool softener the day before surgery (and if ok to take am meds the day of surgery I may take it too). Just make sure you arent started out with a lot of stool in your bowels, because the anesthesia & pain medications slow it all down. Making sure you are well hydrated is super important as well. Yes, they will give you iv fluids, but thats not in your bowel. Id say go nice & light, esp whatever you have that morning- stay away from fatty meats & cheese. Its likely that soneone from the hospital may call you a day or so b4 your surgery & go over a few things. If they do they will prob tell you to stick with liquids the morning of.

Im sorry abt the rambling & typos (combination of pain meds & typing on phone's virtual keyboard).
Best wishes for a smooth visit @,the castle & an uneventful recovery. See you on the other side (although I wont "arrive" until May).
Big hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2012, 12:29 AM

The only diet restriction I had before my TVH was nothing by mouth after midnight for my early morning surgery. I did not do a bowel prep or liquid diet and I did fine. It is important to follow your doctor's instructions for you. You can give your doctors office a call to ask more specific questions regarding your upcoming surgery.

Deb
Unread 04-08-2012, 01:16 AM

My surgery was at 12:30 in the afternoon and I was told nothing to eat after midnight, but that if I really felt the need to, I could eat a small meal up until 8 hours before surgery. I ate my regular fare of foods until 18 hours before surgery and then I lost my appetite and didn't want to eat after that. I didn't follow the liquid diet or do a bowel cleanse because I had a TVH and my doctor said those are generally saved for people having radical, abdominal surgeries and for people who have a lot of adhesions or scar tissue from previous surgeries. When I came out of surgery, I drank LOADS of water. I was up to about 1/2- 3/4 a gallon of just water a day and I took it VERY slow introducing food back. I ate a lot of crackers, broth, mild soups, yogurt, applesauce, etc. When I had actual food, I ate a toddler size portion. Literally 1 egg and 1 piece of bacon. 4-5 bites of noodles, a very small handful of rice with butter, etc. I drank LOADS of water and took stool softeners prescribed by my doctor and I had my first BM this afternoon. I was told to avoid greasy and heavy foods until I had my first one and to reintroduce them SLOWLY for the first few days afterwards. I didn't have much of an appetite. I mostly just wanted to drink water. They gave me a cup in the hospital that held 32 oz of water and I drank at least 4-5 of them the day after my surgery and I did a lot of walking to get the bowels moving again. Do not take stool softeners unless your doc okays it. My doc said depending on how everything went, some people just should not have them as they can make everything move too fast and cause some damage. You don;t want your surgery rescheduled because you didn't follow their directions.
Unread 04-08-2012, 02:47 AM

I had a TAH and did not have to have a special diet or colon cleanse. I think it comes down to your doctors preference. As far as information for after your surgery you can always look on the post op check point pages. I would start with the pre op check points first. Lots of useful information. Prayers and Hugs.
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:41 AM

I am scheduled to have a TVH on the 20th of this month, however my surgery was rescheduled from the 6th due to a medication the dr. was unaware I was taking. My instructions was to not eat anything after midnight the night before and no bowel cleanse. When I asked him about a bowel cleanse, He said " that is old school". OH and the medicine was phenetermine the diet pills.
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:06 AM

Every doc is different and does the prep differently. I don't really think I would be eating a regular breakfast the day of surgery. But that is because I know myself. My body has very slow digestion and I really,really be pretty uncomfortable about risking having side effects after. I get really nauseous from anesthesia so really want to make sure that my stomach is pretty empty before any surgery. But like I said, that is just me.
I think the idea that you can do "whatever you want after the surgery except sex " is far more worriesome to me. Give me a break. I can tell you that after my surgery, I could not lift over 5 pounds for about one month post op. I didn't even feel like I could do it for a while. Bending, squatting, driving, pushing, sweeping, dusting,cleaning, and twisting,etc. were big no nos after surgery for at least one to two weeks. If I dropped something on the floor, my mom had to pick it up(or I used a reacher or tried to con my dogs into grabbing it for me)because I couldn't do it. It hurt too darn much!! So I guess here is my pet peeve coming out. Just because she is a ob/gyn with 19 years of experience doesn't mean she does a lot of these surgeries. The fact that she says your recovery will be easy just hits my nerves!! How does she know this?? Even my doc who was really confident he was a great surgeon never said. I had a DvH with BSO so I should have had an easy recovery. It just takes time for your body to heal. I really don't like this idea of having a doc who will tell you afterwards what to follow. She should have some general guidelines. If you are really confident in her, then please stick with her. But this idea of an easy recovery drives me bonkers!! Sorry it just does. My recovery was slow and I kept feeling like I was so darn abnormal only to come here and discover that it wasn't that unusual. You can always call tomorrow and tell her nurse (I am assuming that you will get the nurse) that you have these questions. My doc was more than willing to call me to answer my questions. He just called me back and we discussed what I was worried about. And he told me what his general post op instructions were. Obviously, they can change(and did ) after the surgery based on what happened but he was able to give me some clues. Sorry to go on and on but it just boggles my mind how these docs think they can use words like "easy recovery
and "You can do anything after but sex". Please give me a break!
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:19 AM

Thank you all for all of your supportive responses. I plan to call and talk to someone tomorrow. I have had 2 weeks to prepare for this surgery mentally. While I am ready to be off of pain meds and out of pain, I haven't had a lot of time to get used to the idea of major surgery.

I have 4 young children, 1,4,6,8 and I won't have family help. My mom can't help due to her own health issues, and my MIL is too selfish to help us. We even offered to pay for her ticket, but she said no. So I will have some friends helping, and I have an amazing husband but he will have to go back to work a few days after the surgery.

I plan to take it easy, but I was shocked that she thought recovery would be easy. Thank you all for the help. I will be sure to call tomorrow and talk to the nurse practitioner. She talked to us for a long time when I was dealing with extreme pain so I think she will have more Time to spend with me.
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Colorful Daisy, I'm sorry to hear you won't have much help with a 1 year old post-op. Try to encourage your 8-year-old to help if that's possible (I was 8 when my youngest brother was 1 and I always felt I could have been helping my mother more).

I've had two rounds of ovarian cyst surgery, each at a different hospital. I had a pretty thorough prep the last time (GoLytely, ugh). However, I didn't have too much digestive trouble after the last cyst surgery. Even if my doctor doesn't give me other instructions for my upcoming hysterectomy, I'll probably eat very lightly for two days before and push fluids until the last possible minute. My veins are so hard to find that the pre-op nurses couldn't set-up a line last time, and it had to be done in the operating room.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register