What is your activity level? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is your activity level? What is your activity level?

Unread 04-08-2012, 08:43 PM
What is your activity level?

I'm 11 days postop and not sure if I am doing too much or too little. I'm most comfortable lying flat. When standing I feel pressure on stitches but do try to walk around the house several times a day. I'm not comfortable sitting at all due to the pressure on the waist. My discharge instructions say to avoid prolonged standing, no lifting over 10 lbs, and to gradually increase activity, but that covers a wide area. I know walking is good, but how much? How much standing is ok? I worry I'm in bed too much at this point. What has your activity progression been like? What did your doctor advise? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Re: What is your activity level?

You sound like you are doing just fine! Let your body guide you. My body's message to me to go horizontal was when I got a heaviness at the bottom of my tummy. Other ladies experience deep fatigue or pelvic pain. Everyone recovers from this surgery at their own pace. Happy healing!
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:04 PM

I wasn't doing much at 11 days. Showering was tiring, energy meant I did my hair and put makeup on. I liked going for a walk, 1 lap around the house. Mostly I rested. I got up to get what I needed like more water or a snack. Now at 4 weeks, I may go to town to do a very easy errand then stay down the rest of the afternoon. I am taking it very easy. I remember the pressure feeling like you mentioned. I still have that once in awhile.
I read on this site that a little walking is just fine, it doesn't have to be a lot, as long as you get up and move around. It seemed to me I had to use the bathroom a lot and that got me up many times, day and night. I kind of rambled on here as I thought out loud, hopefully something will be of help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2012, 09:06 PM

Hi Sasha2012, I am a few weeks ahead of you and am still most comfortable lying down. It is good that you are up and walking several times a day even if you are in bed in between. My first week I was having a good day if I could walk to my neighbors drive way and back, after that I just increased my distance when I felt comfortable to do so. I made it around the block yesterday and I was so excited :-) Your body will tell you how far and how long if you listen to it. Don't be surprised when you have those days where you feel like you are back at the beginning again (a real bummer for me). I had a few days like that this week because I tried to do too much (Walmart, just don't do it) and after a few days of rest I was able to walk farther than ever. I hope this helps you out some. Prayers and Hugs
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Sasha, I agree with Danni - everyone recovers at their own pace. You are very early in your recovery and you should not be doing much besides walking right now. I am 7 weeks post op and am just now feeling comfortable being on my feet for a longer time. You should definitely listen to your body and don't hesitate to call your doctor if you have questions. That's what he's there for. Keep posting on this site and you will get lots of support from women who have been through this. Have you tried the Recovery Progress thread for the week of your surgery? You will find it in the post op forum and you can get advice from women who have had their surgery the same week as you. I have found that very helpful.

Good luck to you.
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Hi Sasha2012!
I am a few days behind you at 9 days. I can tell when I overdo it when my abdomen feels heavy and when the spotting gets a little heavier. I definitely overdid it this weekend and am paying for it. We spent 4 hours at the beach this afternoon. I didn't do anything but sit in a reclining chair the entire time. I came home, took a shower and slept for two hours. I feel like I was hit by a truck. I had to break open my Percocet...I hadn't taken any since the hospital. Lesson learned! Hope you had a happy Easter!
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:12 AM

I think it is really important to spend some time being horizontal every day. The first couple of weeks post-op, I would collapse midday and sleep for a couple of hours. During week 3, I might not sleep, but I sure needed to get horizontal. Often I would just lay down with a book and read, doze, or do a little of each. I am in the 4th week now, and it still feels really good to get horizontal for a bit. Sitting is hard on the circulation. Standing or walking too much is tiring and stressful. But being horizontal takes all the strain off the healing tissues, and is totally rejuvenating.
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Thank you to everyone who wrote. It is reassuring to know that what I am doing seems reasonable at this stage. I want to get enough rest to heal properly but I also want to avoid blood clots and regain my energy as my recovery permits.

Has anyone received direction from their doctors about sleeping on your side? I am not a back sleeper but have been careful to stay completely flat while in bed.

Many thanks.
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:58 AM

I slept on my side the night of surgery and I had an abdominal cut. I was propped up with pillows and had a small one tucked into my tummy for support. Just do what feels comfortable for you.
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:11 AM

I am a side sleeper and have been sleeping on my left side since the day after surgery. If you hug a pillow, it helps a bit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register