nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:16 AM
nervous

I am 45 and have experienced irregular and heavy periods for about 2 years. I had a d&c 1 year ago and the dr. said I had a lot of polyps, but everything else looked ok. For a few months, periods were better, but then were bad again. Sometimes they are not too bad - 1 or 2 days of heavier bleeding with clots but overall last 10 days or so. Sometimes worse. My last one started March 13 and lasted until March 30, and I had a lot of clots and changed tampons frequently( sometimes every hour or two). I tried the pill, d&c, and lysteda and then my dr. suggested the ablation or hysterectomy - my choice. I have heard the ablation isn't always successful, and since they hysterectomy is permanent and I don't want any more children, that is what I chose. I guess after reading lots of stories on here, I wonder if my periods or symptoms are bad enough to warrant a hysterectomy. Even though I can't sleep through the night or can't leave the house sometimes, most of the other stories here seem a lot worse. Now that I have a date scheduled, I am getting nervous and second-guessing. I am scheduled for a TLH with a top surgeon in Pittsburgh so I am not worried about that part of it. Just want to be sure I am making a good choice for the right reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Re: nervous

Hi Rufus82,

I know exactly how you feel. I had a strange unknown possible mass/cyst growing by my right ovary. It grew to 8 times its size from one year ago, so my doc wanted to get in and see what it was (nothing - thank goodness, but what I am calling "space junk" - endometrioma, fliuds and adhesions from a previous surgery). Anyhow, I also had a 14cm intrauterine fibroid that was not causing me any pain or discomfort. When we decided to do surgery to see what the mass was, he asked me what I wanted to do with my uterus. I said take it out while we are in there. I'm 50 yrs old and the thought of maybe having to have another surgery any time in the future, or maybe years down the road when I am not as strong as I am now led me to this decision.

Reading some of the posts here made me wonder if I was doing the right thing. I wasn't in any pain, so why bring the pain on voluntarily? Well, I had DvH on April 4th. The surgery was much more complicated than we originally thought it would be (8 hours), but I am glad I did it. I feel like I took care of any reasonably expected future issues. I am not in any real pain, just sore. I live alone, and have been managing just fine (and it's only day 5 post op).

You need to do what is best for you. Do more research, get a second opinion, talk to your doctor again and again.

Best Wishes,

LuLuLee
Unread 04-09-2012, 03:54 PM

thanks - my obgyn left the decision up to me, but he only does the TAH, so I contacted a surgeon in Pgh. that does laprascopic. He also said it was up to me. Once I made the choice, I felt good about it. I am only second-guessing now after reading things on the internet, which is usually a bad idea, lol. I guess I am looking for validation that this is an ok choice for my situation. Now so much for a serious medical condition, but for improvement of quality of life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Hi rufus and lulu, put me in the same category as you guys. Bad symptoms, getting worse, but nowhere near as bad sounding as what other people describe--and yet bad enough for my doctor to suggest a hyster as an "aggressive" treatment and then have the surgeon agree it's warranted, but leaving the final decision to pull the trigger up to me. I also have endo and adhesions (surgeon felt them on an exam), so part of me feels like maybe all that sort of stuff should be cleaned up first before taking the next step, but I've also had one bout of hyperplasia, my bleeding and cramps are worsening, and at age 45, I could be a ways from menopause (Mom went through it at 60). Just feel like it's going to have to come out some day anyway, so best to do it now when I'm younger.

Doc agreed with me about it sort of being preventative surgery to not have to keep dealing with potential hyperplasia returns. (plus, I don't want to have to keep turning to progesterone to fight that. Ick.)

The fact that she said she could do it laprascopically was the key for me, though. I bounced back pretty easily from a lap a couple years ago (7 cm endometrioma), and am hoping for similar results this time, though I know it's a much more major surgery. But still should be a better recovery than TAH.

I was vacillating a lot, but my last two (really bad) cycles have told me this has to be done. Do I really want another 10-15 years of this? No way.
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM

Hi Rufus,
I feel that whatever you feel is right for you is the way to go. Since, it felt right when you made the decision and only doubted after reading online things, it sounds to me like your intuition was talking the first time, and it's fear maybe after the fact. I call my hysterectomy date my new birthdate....don't second guess yourself based on others severity or issues, you have a right to a good quality of life and what you describe doesn't sound like you are living fully. The doctors wouldn't agree to the plan if it wasn't reasonable. Yes, there are recovery things that are unique to each one of us and common issues, but you will work through it because you are strong and have already been dealing with major issues (in my opinion) and know how to work with your body.
Many blessings and a swift recovery are my prayers for you!!!
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM

rufus, I had much the same situation as you and had my hysterectomy at 45. I too could not leave the house/sleep all night on certain days. Once I had the surgery and the doctor found endometriosis I kind of felt vindicated, because I had some doctors tell me I was "normal" when I knew full well that something was NOT normal at all.

I think what kelg said above about quality of life is exactly right.

All the best to you!
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus82 View Post
I am 45 and have experienced irregular and heavy periods for about 2 years. I had a d&c 1 year ago and the dr. said I had a lot of polyps, but everything else looked ok. For a few months, periods were better, but then were bad again. Sometimes they are not too bad - 1 or 2 days of heavier bleeding with clots but overall last 10 days or so. Sometimes worse. My last one started March 13 and lasted until March 30, and I had a lot of clots and changed tampons frequently( sometimes every hour or two). I tried the pill, d&c, and lysteda and then my dr. suggested the ablation or hysterectomy - my choice. I have heard the ablation isn't always successful, and since they hysterectomy is permanent and I don't want any more children, that is what I chose. I guess after reading lots of stories on here, I wonder if my periods or symptoms are bad enough to warrant a hysterectomy. Even though I can't sleep through the night or can't leave the house sometimes, most of the other stories here seem a lot worse. Now that I have a date scheduled, I am getting nervous and second-guessing. I am scheduled for a TLH with a top surgeon in Pittsburgh so I am not worried about that part of it. Just want to be sure I am making a good choice for the right reason.
At age 30 I went thru the birth control pills, D&C and then chose to have an oblation after dealing with it for 2 years. I was young, and felt I should keep my uterus longer if possible.

I'm not 42 and the oblation has failed and I will be having a hysterectomy April 24th. I think had I gone thru what I went thru at 45, I would have opted for the hysterectomy. I spoke with my doc and 1/3 of all oblations fail, 1/3 only partially work and 1/3 work. I wish you all the best.

Miss Elaineous
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:03 PM

I had ablation surgery to stop 9 weeks of bleeding due to complications from PCOS. Four years later I started bleeding again so a hysterectomy was my only choice to stop the bleeding. I had a TAH a year ago September and I feel soooo much better. If I had it to do over I would have chosen the hysterectomy and not had the ablation sugery.You are making the right decision. My cervix was removed so no more bleeding EVER!! If you feel that this is right for you then go for it!!! I think you will feel soooo much better! I know I do! Sending prayers...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register