Scheduled TAH Surgery and recovery questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery and recovery questions Surgery and recovery questions

Unread 04-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Surgery and recovery questions

I am trying to make plans for family to be there after surgery and then trying to plan for the help that I will need after I go home. Does anyone have a rough estimate of actual surgery time and recovery time (assuming everything goes as planned)? Also, what is a general idea of what you can be doing week 1, week 2, week 3...etc? I know what all the information says but I am looking for a real experience answer. Thanks!

Of course I realize this is all best case scenario and should not be taken as rule of thumb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Re: Surgery and recovery questions

I am 5 weeks post op from a TAH and I am telling ya, I wouldn't want to be back to work just yet. I read your intro thread and i think you should plan to take off at least a few weeks from your daycare if you can. I couldn't even babysit my neice and nephew for a couple of hours one day @ 2 weeks post op!

Week 1- you will be in bed
Week 2- you should be in bed
Week 3- you may now move your princess bottom to the couch
Week 4- see instructions for week 3

Hugs & Welcome
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks for that! My other issues are that my bedroom and shower are upstairs so I will actually be spending most of my recovery on the couch anyways....my mom and husband will be here every day after I go back to work to do all the lifting for me while I get to lay on the couch and read books and all the fun stuff with the kids.

I guess I am also wondering if I will be able to do stairs and when I should.....we do have a half bathroom on the main level but everything else is up 18 stairs!!!

Here's what I posted on the welcome so others can see as well!
I am 31 years old and have 2 children ages 14 and 11, (I have had my tubes tied for 11 years now so I'm fine with losing my ability to have kids!)

I was told 2 weeks ago that I had a dermoid teratoma tumor on my uterus that is about 9.3cm. The doctors have all recommended an abdominal hysterectomy to remove my uterus, cervix and right ovary. I am able to keep my left ovary so I will avoid any hormones yay!

I do daycare so this has all been a complete chaos situation and I am VERY overwhelmed with everything....I feel like I know everything will be fine with me and my surgery but trying to coordinate care for all my families and taking time off is just been too much for me. I am having surgery on April 18th and staying in the hospital for 3 days. My mom and my husband will be taking care of my daycare kids while I'm in the hospital and I am taking the following week off of work. I just have so many questions though that I can't seem to get real answers from people who have been where I am and so I found this wonderful site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Hi Val...I had a LAVH so mine was an outpatient surgery, I'm guessing that you'll stay in the hospital at least overnight with a TAH. For me...I checked into the hospital about 8:00am and was released at about 3:00pm. I came home and slept until the next morning. My hubby took 3 days off to help me out. After that I had family and friends if I needed, but honestly, all I wanted to do was be home alone with my dog. I had movies and plenty of food so I was set. I just focused on resting and healing for the first week and a half or so. BTW...didn't have much of an appetite for anything other than fresh fruit and veggies, oh and cereal...so I made sure my hubby stocked up for me. :-) The other thing you'll wanna do is make sure that you have stool softeners and a laxative on hand just in case. BMs are your friend and you'll need to try to get things moving in the right direction right off the bat.

During the early weeks be sure that you do your best to walk around the house and when you're up for it start taking short walks around your neighborhood. I was able to walk about 10 minutes at a time starting at about week 2.

My best advice though during Weeks 1 through 3 are to REST, REST, REST!!! Don't be afraid to say I need help or go away if you're getting too much attention. It should be all about you and your recovery!

Sending HUGS your way!! :-)
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by val.en.tina View Post
I guess I am also wondering if I will be able to do stairs and when I should.....we do have a half bathroom on the main level but everything else is up 18 stairs
I'm not sure about stairs...I don't think I would have been ready for stairs until about week 2, but everyone is different. A half bathroom and a bed will probably be enough for the first week or so anyway. Just make sure you have someone to bring you things when you need them...
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:18 PM

You will need more than a week away from the daycare kids, at least being with them by yourself. I am nearly 3 weeks post op and my doc still doesn't want me lifting anything. Also, bending, stooping, twisting, and most other forms of movement are not allowed so I wouldn't count on being back after week 1. You will be exhausted, even if you do nothing but lie on the couch all day (with short walks now and then, of course!)

Also, if the half bath doesn't have a shower, you will need to go up the stairs to shower. You might be ok with bed baths, but from my experience, the heat of the shower and feeling really clean has been the highlight of my day the last couple of weeks!

I have not spent an entire weekend at home since my surgery, and when I am around my daughter and nephew (ages 4 and 3) I am very guarded because it will hurt if the kids even bump into you just the tiniest bit at first. I'd make a fort out of pillows on your couch when the kids are there, for your own protection!
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM

I will be 7 weeks post-op TAH tomorrow. Here is how things went for me:
Week 1: Hospital
Week 2: In bed
Week 3: Still in bed, some couch or recliner
Week 4: Mother in law gone, finally able to do a little with my 4 kids ages 9,7,4,2 but still mostly on the couch and getting help from neighbors and friends with little kids while big kids were in school
Week 5: Still resting on couch quite a bit, but able to do a little around the house
Week 6: See week 5

For me, there is no way I could have taken care of my own kids until the start of week 4, let alone anyone else's. I made the mistake of trying to change my son's diaper, got down on the floor, opened my incision and also caused some nerve/pain issues with my bladder. That has now set my recovery back substantially and I was placed on continued restrictions (no lifting, bending, pushing, pulling) until May 1st. I will be 10 weeks at that point.

Stairs, no way until week 3 for me.

Best wishes for you upcoming surgery and recovery!
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:10 PM

How many children are you talking about and what ages.?Your absolutely NOT going to want the daycare kids at your home just one week post op most likely. Even with your husband and Mother there.There are post op things you can't even imagine. Read through the post op recovery threads if you get a chance. You see things the post op ladies post every few days as they progress through recovery. Everyone is different, but unfortunately you have no way of knowing which issues you'll face until they come. I am 5 days post op and compared to other women am doing quite well, but pretty much I am only walking and doing bathroom stuff. Insomnia is a big issue for many women and it lasts a long time. After a week of insomnia your definitely not going to want to be reading a book to an inquisitive toddler. There are huge emotional issues too. Crying spells and such, even if you keep your ovaries. You may not want to be around little ones and also your behavior may scare them. I can't even cuddle with my DH as I'm flat on my back in bed and very guarded of my tummy area. I can not imagine if I had a house of toddlers arriving in 2 days. Much too soon. You won't feel as bad the second week as you did the first from what I've read, but it is no picnic either. Silly as this sounds, your key goals are going to be bathroom issues and pain management.This is just my opinion, but I have spent the last few days ( while resting) reading the forums to see what is normal week 2 and I don't see anything that makes me think having extra kids around is a good idea. Most of the ladies with their own children are having issues, let alone someone else kids.Best of luck to you for a smooth surgery and recovery.
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace35 View Post
got down on the floor
That made me cringe! I refuse to ride in my husband's truck or sleep in our bed because those are too high off the ground, and anything below couch or chair level is a no-no too. Take it easy and don't strain yourself. I was up and down the stairs at my sister-in-law's house after 12 days but I wouldn't try too many other movements for the first week or two.
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:20 PM

My weeks will be this:

Week 1
April 18th Wednesday: surgery
April19th Thursday: Hospital
April 20th Friday: Hospital
April 21st Saturday: Hospital

Week 1/ Week 2
April 22nd Sunday - April 29th Sunday: Home no kids

Week 3
April 30th Monday - May 4th Friday: Daycare resumes but mom and husband are running everything
Weekend: no kids

Week 4
May 7th Monday - May 11th Friday: Husband working from home, mom coming every other day

During the day I have 5 kids home ages 1, 1 1/2, 2, 3 and 5. I also have an adopted son who does online high school who is 17 that will be there every day to help when needed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register