Scheduled TAH Surgery and recovery questions - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery and recovery questions Surgery and recovery questions

Unread 04-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Re: Surgery and recovery questions

Does anyone have any info on about how long the actual surgery takes? I just want to give my mom and husband a heads up....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2012, 01:43 PM

For me, I was in pre-op for 2 hours getting prepped (no visitors allowed here) Surgery lasted just under an hour, in recovery for approx 2 hours. So about 5 hours from when hubby hugged me goodbye and till he came to my room.
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:44 PM

^^^ and thats with no complications during surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM

I was in pre-op with hubby for one hour . We said goodbye and they wheeled me away. My surgery lasted 2 1/2 hours. I was then in recovery for about 2 hours then was up to my room for my lovely 4 day stay in the castle.
Unread 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM

That plan is WAY better than your first one, but still scares me a bit. 3 babies and 2 toddlers! I think it's unrealistic. There are weight lifting restrictions for sometimes after even 8 weeks.There is no way you can babysit a 1 or a 1 1/2 year old without lifting them. Stooping, bending, twisting, also all no no's. If these were all 4 and 5 year olds I would tell you that you may be able to pull it off ( and that would be a miracle), but babies, no way! If the 17 year old is with you full time every day you could possibly do this, but he would have to be with you and the babies all the time, not just pop in the room a few times a day to change a diaper.If you do this you run the risk of all kinds of complications. ( keep reading on this website and you'll understand). This is unrealistic. Women with desk jobs have a hard time going back to work at 6 or 7 weeks. I don't want to panic you, but I'm seriously trying to warn you to be realistic. Women that have kids these ages have had to have their Mom's come and stay 2 months with them. I don't think you really have grasped the concept yet of exactly what this surgery is and how serious recovery is for your future health. Please keep reading posts on this site! We are here to help.
Unread 04-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathb911 View Post
That plan is WAY better than your first one, but still scares me a bit. 3 babies and 2 toddlers! I think it's unrealistic. There are weight lifting restrictions for sometimes after even 8 weeks.There is no way you can babysit a 1 or a 1 1/2 year old without lifting them. Stooping, bending, twisting, also all no no's. If these were all 4 and 5 year olds I would tell you that you may be able to pull it off ( and that would be a miracle), but babies, no way! If the 17 year old is with you full time every day you could possibly do this, but he would have to be with you and the babies all the time, not just pop in the room a few times a day to change a diaper.If you do this you run the risk of all kinds of complications. ( keep reading on this website and you'll understand). This is unrealistic. Women with desk jobs have a hard time going back to work at 6 or 7 weeks. I don't want to panic you, but I'm seriously trying to warn you to be realistic. Women that have kids these ages have had to have their Mom's come and stay 2 months with them. I don't think you really have grasped the concept yet of exactly what this surgery is and how serious recovery is for your future health. Please keep reading posts on this site! We are here to help.

I agree 100%. I had my mother in law here doing EVERYTHING for my kids, husband, house, and me for 3 full weeks. Then for 2 weeks after that I had friends and neighbors here when my husband was not. At 4 weeks my incision opened because I made a dumb mistake. Don't let this be you! I am now dealing with the effects of a simple mistake. I am on continued restriction until week 10. If I had listened, I might have been ok by now. Believe me, I am very angry with myself and going stir crazy sitting around another month! You have one chance to heal right. Take it. I would still, at week 7, not be ready to take care of any kids that were as little as the ones you are describing. Please, please read more on this site and arrange for help longer.
Unread 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM

A teenager to help out will make a huge difference! That schedule sounds doable now that you've mentioned him. My daughter's sitter had a TAH and she had her teenage son help out with the kids too, and it went well for her. Best of luck to you!
Unread 04-09-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by val.en.tina View Post
Does anyone have any info on about how long the actual surgery takes? I just want to give my mom and husband a heads up....
I checked in at 10am, went to pre-op alone for a short time while I was getting undressed, getting an IV, etc. then my husband came in and sat with me until I went into the operating room. Surgery for an hour and a half, then recovery for about 2 1/2 hours due to being unable to get the pain under control. Your mom and husband will have at least 4 hours to wait until you go to your room.
Unread 04-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Hey! I had a TAH with both ovaries removed on March 26--exactly two weeks ago today. I was in the hospital for two nights and went home at about 7:30 p.m. the third day. I stayed in bed for the most part other than bathroom and just a bit of walking around the house for about three days. By week two I was getting up in the morning, putting on non-PJ type clothes (workout wear, basically…it's comfy and it "gives" but it made me feel dressed) and could patter around the house a little more. I, too, have stairs with my bathroom being on the 2nd floor. I honestly think my stair issue was good for me. I was going up and down about twice a day by week two. Go slow, but you can do it. Like I said, today is my two week anniversary of my surgery---I drove to the doctor appointment by myself and even stopped by a Quick Trip on the way back to get a soda! That felt so good. My doctor said, "do what you feel like…without pushing". I am doing really well, and you will too. Mind over matter. Don't let yourself get bogged down in the minor pain. I try to go outside every day and just walk up and down the side walk or across the street to a small track that a school just put in. Look at the sky, the flowers--whatever--and tell yourself "Life is good!" I am planning on returning to my office job next Monday---after three weeks! My doctor said as long as I feel like I can do it, to go for it.

I was lucky and had no complications other than one day of pretty bad constipation (REALLY try to avoid that. Take Colace and fiber and eat a lot of fruit once you get home!) that made my stomach muscles sore. But the soreness only lasted a few days. You can do this. I am healing and getting back to my life better than a neighbor who had the DiVinci, no kidding.

You'll be fine! Just be sure you have help for the lifting of things…and enjoy the "down time". I watched four seasons of Mad Men in 10 days on Netflix. I just let myself enjoy it. Sleep when you feel like sleeping. Walk when you feel like walking and don't try to be superwoman. Let it be about YOU. And make sure those in your life know this as well. I think that is a big part of my healing…I have a good support system at home, at work and with friends.

You will be fine! And feel free to inbox me any time. I am just a few weeks ahead of you in this.

Kleindesigns.
Unread 04-09-2012, 02:50 PM

My surgery was at 1:00 and i ate dinner in my room at 7:00. I had the TAH with both ovaries and no complications. The hospital or your doctor's office should also be able to give you some information on this. Maybe call them?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register