Don't know who to believe - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't know who to believe Don't know who to believe

Unread 01-17-2002, 01:07 AM
Don't know who to believe

I, too, have not yet had my surgery but I've been waging a private emotional war of "what ifs?" and "how will I feel after?"

I think maybe you would benefit from doing more research.

Here are a couple of books that I have seen that might be of help to you: (haven't read them myself yet but they are on the way)

1. "Just as Much a Woman: Your Personal Guide to
Hysterectomy & Beyond" by Dianna W. Bolen, Nancy
Rosenfeld

(try your local library or pick it up for about $4.50 at
www.half.com)

2. Hysterectomy, Woman to Woman by Sue Barber
(currently $4.99 at www.half.com)

And then there's my current favorites on Hysterecomy which I have read:

1. "Through the Land of Hyster: The Hyster Sisters Guide"
by Kathy Kelley (available at this site)

2. "The Woman's Guide to Hysterectomy: Expectations &
Options" by Adelaide Haas, Susan L. Puretz which I
found at my local library (there's a new edition coming out
next week that I'm sure is more updated so, since you have
time, you might want to consult it).

Hope this helps. Wishing you all the very best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2002, 05:38 PM

It is good to talk with all of you who understand my reluctance. I work with several gals who all they want to tell me is it is the best thing they ever did! Maybe for them it was, but these posts just prove one thing, we are all different and we all feel differently about this operation. I have had several major surgeries, so I am not scared of the surgery itself. Maybe the next few months of research before my annual appt will convince me one way or the other. Right now I am truly "on the fence". When I have a really active day, I am convinced I need to do it. Then I have a day, and depending on what I read concerning this subject, I am convinced my body should be intact. What to do, what to do???
Unread 01-20-2002, 02:24 AM

The decision to have a hyst is a very personal, permanent one and you must feel comfortable with your choice. On the day I set my surgery date, as I was leaving the Dr's office, she turned to me and asked if I was ok with my decision. I told her I did not think that NOT having a uterus would make me less of a woman.
Her reply was precious.... she said "no, it doesn't but living without pain will make you more of a person". I left her office with no regrets and am truly looking forward to my trip to the castle.
Best of luck to you in whatever you decide is best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2002, 03:56 AM
Total abdominal hysterectomy survivor (opp 11 Jan '02)

Hi, I am a 28 year old who had a total Abdominalhysterectomy for endometriosis on Jan 11 '02. I was told I needed it and took the plunge as it were, I didn't do any research as I have medical training (1/2 nursing degree) so academically I knew what to expect - emotionally I did not! unlike many my age I do not have children and this was a long term thing anyway, I am 11 days post opp and initially I was a mess, however, I can tell you from experience that no, it doesnt stop the 'female function' - orgasm, its a bit different but still - well, attainable! (to be blunt) - my biggest fear now is my boyfriend wont want to use condoms which I will still be firm about (he doesn't know it yet!) mainly because I want to retain that bit of dignity I have and naturally there are always infections to fear..
It didn't become reality that I wouldn't be able to have kids untill a day or so ago but I believe there are many kiddies in this world who need a good family and adoption isn't something that would scare me. I can now look forward to a pain (and period free!) life, give all to my sport (dressage rider and steeplechase jockey) hopefully remain a good partner and go all out to live life. if I had any regrets it would probably be that I didn't prepare very well for the surgery - in the gyns office on Monday - surgery on Friday; I have to take responsibility for the decision I have made and now heal from the experience. I don't think I will ever look back and regret it as I said, there are adoption options and as I have kept my ovaries maybe surrgocy - longshot but still- (anyone know much about this?) If you are in pain either on and off (as I was) or constant pain all i can say is go for it, if you have kids you have a blessing. the biggest thing is prepare for a bit of an emotional rollercoaster as you adjust after surgery and for the rehab - especially if you are having a total abdominal hysterectomy as I did. I am especially ineterested in hearing from anyone else my age group married or unmarried with or without kids who has be there and done it as this is the begining of healing for me as a woman.
Unread 01-20-2002, 04:36 AM

Talbrig:

Just wanted to add that I had exactly the same symptoms you had regarding the inability to walk for any length of time, backaches which were caused by swollen uterus. By all accounts I thought my uterus was healthy too, except for two small fybroids. It was only after the surgery that adenomyosis was discovered.

I am ten weeks post-op and feeling great. The surgery has not left me orgasmless (for sure). But, it is definitely a personal decision and I think you should go with what you and your doctory feel comfortable with. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register