Scheduled LAVH Any Telecomuters/Virtual workers go back | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any Telecomuters/Virtual workers go back Any Telecomuters/Virtual workers go back

Unread 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Any Telecomuters/Virtual workers go back

to work after a few days?

I work at home for a Corporate Travel company doing Emergency/After hours business travel. Basically I sit in my chair in my PJ's with my feet up and wait for calls to come in.

With my Dr's ok, as long as everything goes ok I am only taking 5 full days off from work and going back on a limited schedule. I have only been with the company 5 mos, and dont have sick time yet and we really cant be without my income for too long.

Anyone else go back to working at home a short time after surgery? DH is setting up a very comfy spot for me in my office, I basically wont have to move out of my comfy reclining chair unless I need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Re: Any Telecomuters/Virtual workers go back

I work from home too! I am an editor for a magazine and do all of my work via the internet. My surgery is in between issues so I'll have about 10 days off before it is time to start the next one. I'm hoping my brain will work clearly enough that I won't make mistakes and I can stand being on my laptop for long enough periods of time to get things done on time.

I wish I could take more time off but I'm the only one that does my position and wouldn't want them to find anyone else!

I think we're lucky to be able to work from our homes while we recover!! Good luck on your surgery.
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Glad to see these messages from others in the same situation!

I'm also mostly a telecommuter (web developer), and really don't plan on being completely out of commission for more than one work week. I doubt I'd start any huge projects the second week, but unless there's complications, I figure I'm going to be propped up in bed/on the sofa with my laptop all day anyway, might as well answer some work e-mails and get some small things done.

(When I had my endometrioma/ovary removal lap two years ago, it was on a Friday and I think I was answering work stuff here or there on Tuesday.)

But I also don't really have a "clock" to be working against--the work comes (or doesn't!), I get it done, the bosses don't really worry about the "when," as long as it's done. Sometimes it's during work hours, sometimes late at night. So that flexibility is something I will be very lucky to have during recovery.

Best wishes to both of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2012, 12:46 PM

Fortunately and Unfortunately I was laid off from my job right before I found out i needed to have this surgery... BUT .. about 2 weeks after my surgery I could have gone back telecommuting with no issues. I felt well enough to do so if I still had my gig.
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM

I work at home as well and went back to work 3 weeks postop. I probably could have gone back at 2 weeks but with the abdominal incision my doc wanted me to wait at least 3
Unread 04-10-2012, 04:15 PM

Good to hear these replies. I plan on taking a full week off and then starting back on-line the following week to see how it goes. Sounds like that worked for many of you. really glad!
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:57 PM

I am 6 days post op . I work from home too. I am not on a time crunch/schedule at all, so no pressure, but If I don't work I don't get paid.I tied up enough loose ends that I could easily not open an email for 3 weeks ( just in case). I do however want to get back to it even if part time as soon as I can. At 6 days post op I can honestly tell you that hasn't happened yet. At 6 days I am exhausted ( have had insomnia since surgery). My brain is fogged from insomnia and pain meds ( even though I stretch those out as many hours as possible the past 2 days). My pain is controlled, but I honestly don't have the strength or ability to do much else besides rest in the recliner, cruise the internet, but nothing that requires concentration). Getting up and going to the bathroom as wells trying to slowly walk around the house to keep moving is all I can do so far. My brain has not fully woken up and there is no way I could concentrate on work emails and phone calls at this time! I figure when I can walk, shower, dress and get in and out of bed un assisted I'll be better able to judge when I can focus on work. It's weird, but after surgery you really see what is important and what is secondary. Right now food, medicine, water, and the bathroom are the only things that seem important to master.
Unread 04-10-2012, 07:05 PM

I work both from home and have an office - I started working from home again on day 10. I had my surgery on a Friday, so had two full weekends in there Went into the office a few times since - right now I'm 3.5 weeks post-op and still am not comfortable going back in full-time yet. Just get way too exhausted!
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:41 PM

I worked from home starting on day 7 after my surgery. Fortunately, it was Easter/Spring Break week, so work was pretty slow anyway.

I worked from home for about 8 or 9 weeks total, then went back to the office. For the first 4 weeks, I regularly took a mid-afternoon nap, but otherwise I had no problem working from home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register