new and nervous (heart condition and surgery) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new and nervous (heart condition and surgery) new and nervous (heart condition and surgery)

Unread 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM
new and nervous (heart condition and surgery)

hi there. im new to this site. have been told i have a large fibroid. 23cm and somthing on the right overy. waiting for my letter re date of surgery. will be end of april beginning of may. very concerned as i had a heart event last year and told that the asprin im on could cause blood loss. is there any other members with similar problems who could help alleviate some of my fears :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Re: new and nervous

Welcome to hystersisters! I don't have heart / aspirin issues, so can't answer that for you. Up to the right of the page there is a search box. I have typed in things before and it will pop up a bunch of older posts on that subject. I use it all the time to find stuff when I'm looking for something .Was there anything else I could help you with? My surgery was 6 days ago!
Unread 04-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Re: new and nervous

twinkley to hyster sisters!!!

I am so sorry you have to have a hysterectomy, but I am very glad you found this site.

If you have not already said something, please be sure to tell your doctor about your heart event. They will want to know. And, yes, if your list of meds to avoid is like mine was, you will not be able to take asprin before your surgery. There will be other meds and vitamins on that list as well. Talk to your doc about this, and see what they would suggest.

I don't have a heart condition, but I am going to tweak your title a little so that it will get the attention of women who do share this with you. This is a wonderful site with many ladies of all different medical experiences. Hopefully someone will see this and respond to your question.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Re: new and nervous (heart condition and surgery)

Hi, sounds a lot like my situation! Huge fibroid, weird heart stuff. I also take an aspirin every day and had to talk to my doctor about when I could safely resume that (in my case, my dr gave the ok pretty soon after surgery, but every doctor is different, it seems!). What I learned was that surgical teams operate all the time on people with heart issues of all sorts, and they are very good at dealing with them. I'm sure they will do some extra tests on you beforehand, to check your heart and your blood clotting response. To be on the safe side, I talked to my surgeon AND to the anesthesiologist before the procedure. If you're really really worried, talk to your doctor about a short course of anti anxiety medicine. It really helped me.

I know it's scary now, but you are going to feel SO much better without that mass inside of you. Really.
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:45 AM

thank u so much for yr kindness and support. im going through so many mixed emotions and cant make sense of them. have blind moments of panic and think that i wont wake up for fear of taking another attack. the fibroid is scary as i can feel it and wonder how on earth they are going to get that out and why on earth didn't i do something earlier with all the pain i was experiencing. I worry about everything even they vertical scar im going to have and think my partner will find me unattractive after
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:48 AM

hi cath. thank u for yr post. how are u doing now after yr surgery x
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:59 AM

I am having surgery in the morning and have been on warfarin for the last 2 years due to having a pulmonary embolism. I had to coordinate coming off the warfarin and inject myself with heparin for the last few days. I would say check with your doctor about how they want to handle it.
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:12 AM

good luck for tomorrow. i did ask my consultant whether i should stop the asprin and he said no. so am confused but maybe he will advise that nearer the time. please let me know how u get on afterwards.
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:21 AM

A lot of people I have talked to have been given some kind of blood thinner prior to surgery as a precaution to keep clots from developing. I was told they were switching me from warfarin to heparin just because it is easier to reverse if needed in case of an emergency. It is possible that your Doctor is keeping you on the aspirin in lieu of a pre surgery blood thinner. I would definately ask him/her because an explaination will help to put you at ease. I will let you know how it all worked out after.
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:03 PM

My pre op instructions said no aspirin or motrn for 10 days before surgery. Your probably ok now, but your doctor will instruct you once you get a date. Don't beat yourself up for not doing this sooner. Many of us lived with the pain and put it off as long as we could just hoping one day it would be ok and we wouldn't need surgery. It's when you get to the point that your symptoms are totally destroying your quality of life that you finally know this is right for you. I'm a week post op now and this is the first day I haven't been in bad pain. I'm real sore and have absolutely no energy, but am starting to feel this is getting better every day!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register