Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video

Unread 04-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video

In the interest of wanting to do my homework and being sure that I knew what questions to ask at my pre-op appt tomorrow morning, I was doing research and I found a scary video from HERS.

I am so desperate to have my horrific, embarassing and life-limiting periods stop and to resolve my anemia. I've tried ablasion/myomectomy and my uterus is completely riddled with multiple large fibroids and the procedures were failures. I also have PCOS, but I've asked my Dr. to keep my Ovaries...

I'm going to have to have a full abdominal hysterectomy, and I'm scared to death.

Please can anyone help me with some positive experience related to full abdominal hysterectomies after years of debilitating periods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Re: Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video

I had my surgery last Thurs. Ovaries removed also. I'm only 36 and it's the best decision. I don't regret it at all. I dont have to worry about where I sit (during my period), the cramps, bleeding threw my clothes. I was so scared prior to the surgery ( and I'm a nurse). You will be so happy with your decision. It's normal to have anxiety and doubt. Just know that God will be with you.
Unread 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM

twiceasniceinma!!

It is completely normal ti be nervous, so know that you are not alone in that. As far as positive stories with TAH, I am a success story!! I had debilitating, heavy periods for years, and they got worse every month. I had my hysterectomy in May 2011 and have never felt better. I am period free and pain free and it feels fabulous!!

I can do the things I want to do without having to worry if I have enough tampons or if there was going to be a bathroom very close in case I need it.

It is a scary thing you are going through, but try not to let the things you see on the internet spook ya! You will be fine and you will feel so much better when it is all over and you are recovered!!

Hope my story helps to put your mind at ease and I hope you get to hear many more success stories!!!

to you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM

I also had a really good recovery! I was totally freaked out about the pain after surgery and it was a wonderful surprise to find out that I had no pain the day after recovery. I didn't need or use the pain pump on day 2. I never used oral narcotics... just tylenol because the doctor said I should, not because I needed it. I got lucky and you might too! If not, the hospital has really good drugs to keep your pain under control.

I am sorry that you got scary info. This surgery is serious and we are scared enough about having to go through it without someone deliberately adding to your fears. I am sending :hugs5: in the hopes if makes you feel a tad better.
Unread 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM

You will be fine I has everything removed. Glad to hear you are keeping ovaries. As that is the only issue I had its been a year and doing fine. And you will to. Remember to rest it takes 6 to 8 weeks to heal and get lots of books videos. Lol
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcgrudermiller View Post
I had my surgery last Thurs. Ovaries removed also. I'm only 36 and it's the best decision. I don't regret it at all. I dont have to worry about where I sit (during my period), the cramps, bleeding threw my clothes. I was so scared prior to the surgery ( and I'm a nurse). You will be so happy with your decision. It's normal to have anxiety and doubt. Just know that God will be with you.
Oooo Thank you so much for your support. That means a lot. I've ruined multiple suits, chairs, even the seat in my car. I'll think I'm fine... may have just changed a pad... and then WHOOOSH! Embarassing and humiliating. I'm so ready for it to be over.

I'm scared they will take my ovaries, even with the PCOS. I'm afraid of HRT primarily. My insurance won't pay for bioidentical hormones and I've heard so many scary things about the synthetics. Are you using hormones?
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traeleigh View Post
twiceasniceinma!!

It is completely normal ti be nervous, so know that you are not alone in that. As far as positive stories with TAH, I am a success story!! I had debilitating, heavy periods for years, and they got worse every month. I had my hysterectomy in May 2011 and have never felt better. I am period free and pain free and it feels fabulous!!!
Thanks so much Traeleigh! (very cool name by the way) Yes, that's what I'm hoping for. I'm in sales... imagine being on a plane the second day of your period with the cabin pressure! I've resorted to wearing diapers. How sad is that? I am looking forward to the surgery and scared at the same time.

But I sooo appreciate your note and your support!!!

It really means a lot.
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3ll3 View Post
I am sorry that you got scary info. This surgery is serious and we are scared enough about having to go through it without someone deliberately adding to your fears. I am sending :hugs5: in the hopes if makes you feel a tad better.
Thanks so much! I'm feeling better the more of the forum I read. You are so right about the deliberate scary stuff. It's a pretty horrific site... extremist, really...

Your note is very much appreciated.
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnie123 View Post
You will be fine ..... Remember to rest it takes 6 to 8 weeks to heal and get lots of books videos. Lol
Thank you for the support. It's so great to hear about these things from women who have been through it. I appreciate your note about recovery. My surgery is Fri and my company wants me back on Monday.......................... 'nuf said. It's just not reality, and they are going to have to deal with it.
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:02 PM

I had a TAH 3 months ago and it went just fine! I have had some horrible periods that had me sweating in pain, feeling like I would vomit and pass out a the same time. I never experienced any pain from surgery anywhere near what I did from my horrible periods. I was slightly sore more than anything. Woke up in recovery happy and alert. Was rolled to my room immediately. Called up a friend to bring my stuff. Had good pain meds to help with the low grade soreness. I could've used those drugs for the horrible periods, which were much worse than this surgery. Be strong. Have faith. You'll do great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register