Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video

Unread 04-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Re: Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner fan View Post
My surgery is approaching; April 24. I have been trying to decide whether to keep the ovaries .... not gonna last forever and HRT is coming whether the ovaries stay or go, but it is so hard to know which way would be best.
My general perspective is it's best to keep your ovaries if they are working and even if the only problem is a few cycsts. I'm trying to keep mine. My dr. told me on Fri there's a chance they will be going bye-bye... didn't make me happy.

My insurance won't pay for bioidentical hormones... only standard synthetics and so I'm not eager at all to go on HRT, but as you say... to keep the juices flowing, it may be necessary.

My goal is to keep them if possible, even tho I have PCOS.

Wishing you a ton of luck and good health afterwords We will be post op at the same time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcgrudermiller View Post
I am, I'm using Estradiol. My Dr started me on it day 2 (0.5ng). I had my ovaries removed because of a strong family history of Ovarian CA. My mom past away a yr ago from it. My CA 125 levels were elevated n double. They didn't find any tumors/mass, but I wanted them out. I feel like I had an option my mom or grandmother didn't have. I havnt had any problems with side effects. I got my prescrition filled at Costco, NOT using my insurance and it was only $10.84. I always use them for prescriptions, they are cheaper than my co-payment at drug stores. Try Sams or Costco. I normally call the pharmacy and ask for the price.
Wow, great advice on all fronts. No OV CA in my family, but plenty of other cancers. I haven't had the CA 125 test done. I just read about that in an article by Suzanne Sommers, so I'm going to ask about it post surgery. We have a Costco less than 5 miles from here. I will check them out! If I can get HRT for $11, and if it works... it's worth the membership fee, that's for sure.

Thanks for the useful helpful hints!
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntvwoman View Post
I had total LVAH done in late February, after 25 years of related health issues. I come from a family where my mom and two sister also had related problems, .......Another thing to remember is that the goal is to improve your overall life, if you are tired of bleeding and excessively, this most likely will solve your issue(s).
My grandmother, mother, and my younger sister all had the big H. My Mom and Sister had laproscopic. Not a choice for me because of my huge fibroids and a failed myomectomy and failed ablasion. My Mom had her ovaries removed but never did HRT. My syster kept one ovary and hasn't done HRT.

I'm sure I will be better off afterwards.... 100% sure of it. My current issues are debilitating. But... I still want to keep my ovaries if I can. If I can't, I'll plan on doing the HRT.

Thanks for the note!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2012, 05:16 PM

I will be 8 weeks post-op TAH on Tuesday. While my recovery has been a slow one, I am so thrilled I had this surgery. No more worry of a period landing me in the emergency room. No more month long cramping pain, back pain, ruined clothes, messed up vacation plans, dizziness/fatigue from anemia, and lets not forget the annual D&C that I had to have to stop heavy periods.
While I am still early in my recovery I have NOT gained any weight. I have actually lost weight. I do NOT have any back pain. In fact, my back finally does not hurt after years of an enlarged and retroverted uterus sitting on my tail bone and lower back nerves. I have NOT lost any sexual feeling. I was cleared for sex at 6 weeks and had no problem achieving orgasm. In fact, it was much better than before. My personality has NOT changed. I am actually now a much happier person because I don't live with the pain of my "broken" uterus. Yes, I am still sore, but each day gets a little better. I am sure in 12 months I will be doing cartwheels!!!
I, too, found the HERS site when I was researching whether or not to get my hysterectomy. What I found this website lacked was a supportive network of women that educated you on both sides. They seemed very anti-hysterectomy, period. According to them, I should just take progesterone for the next 20 years, even with a family history of breast cancer. No thanks. I do feel very, very sorry for those women who do not have the "perfect" outcome and do suffer long-term effects from a hysterectomy. The HERS website is a great place for them to get the support they need. But there are success stories. I feel, even at this early stage in my recovery, that I very much am one.

Good luck with your decision! By the way, plan on 6-8 weeks for recovery. Your boss will have to deal with it.
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:53 PM

Wow! It's like you are me, but you are me at the age when they told me to have a hysterectomy, and I disregarded the advice for 10 years. And when I look back, it got me nothing, and I should've done it soooooo much earlier.

I'm sitting here right now... on the 3rd week of my period with heavy clotting. Exhausted. Anemic even tho I take 50mg of iron 3x a day. I'm in pain... lower back pain and contractions that mean yet another clot is coming in the next few hours.

I'm just sick of it... literally. Cannot wait even tho I am scared.

Now... to tell my bosses that their expected recovery is unrealistic. Not sure how to do that. It's a bunch of A-type alpha dog men. Hmmmmm. This is gonna be fun (NOT)
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:55 PM

[b]THANK YOU EVERYONE! You have been tremendously supportive!!!![/B]
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceasniceinma View Post

Now... to tell my bosses that their expected recovery is unrealistic. Not sure how to do that. It's a bunch of A-type alpha dog men. Hmmmmm. This is gonna be fun (NOT)
My suggestion would be to get a note from your doctor.
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:16 PM

I was just reading your post surgery for me was a cake walk. It was the hrt I had issues with and im not an expert but I wish I had kept my ovaries. They are worth fighting for especially if your family has a history of cancer. Nothing replaces them. This may just be me some women so great as alot of us have huge issues with it. That was my only draw back as far as the rest I love never having heavy painful periods. Honey I would talk to you doct about only taking them if there is a need. As far as hrt goes. Insurance covers all of them just at different cost. My co is 5.00 but for vivelle patch due to it being name brand I pay 30 and for the gel I 60.00 so you should ask them are they just giving a price for generic even the synthetics like premerin are name brand so that doesnt make sense. And the safer ones are transdermal like patches and gels. Femering. Are bios so are tou thinking of compounded which most insurance wont cover. Lol pray your surgery goes well
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:23 PM

About the leave. It called the family leave act. and disability. In calif it is a law that a posistion has to be held for a certain amt of time. And you are paid by disability. Durining recovery yoy will need at least 6 weeks. Lol
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM

My surgery is also on April 20th - I saw the videos too, thinking I was doing myself a favour by being "informed" - scared me to death!!! questioned whether I was doing the right thing. After a few very emotional weeks - and - another (my last) period I know this is really the only option. I only read the "good" stories now and am looking forward to posting my own "good" after surgery story
Good luck on the 20th!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register