Scheduled dVH/RALH Hey moms of young children, NEED advice - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hey moms of young children, NEED advice Hey moms of young children, NEED advice

Unread 04-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Re: Hey moms of young children, NEED advice

Everyone recovers at differnt paces and drs have different rules. My hubby went back to work 2 days post op. I sat on the couch all day in between going to the bathroom and napping. My dr said no more than 5 lbs for 6 weeks...he is conservative! I have older kids, but youngest is 7 and the most helpful! He will still do everything and anything. Started driving 9 days post op. Definately sore when you over do it. I had breast reduction when my youngest was 2 and could not pick him up for 2 months. He learned quickly how to climb into the car and then to car seat! I taught him prior to surgery and it worked out fine. Lots of good suggestions about prepping ahead of time. Even picking out some outfits ahead of time will make you less stressed when you want to wear something comfy and not find it or bend to get your fav shirt. Maybe you can do the same with your kids clothes for first week...put outfits together so they can get themselves dressed. Everything will help! Good luck! OX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2012, 11:39 PM

If you can arrange for friends, neighbors, or ladies at church to help you for an additional 2 weeks, I would recommend it. My mother in law lived with us for 3 weeks following my TAH, then I had friends helping when my husband was at work for another few weeks. I have 4 kids aged 9, 7, 4, 2. If you work at a church, I would hope there would be a few ladies willing to help. Don't feel bad about asking.

If you can't get help, here are some suggestions:

1. Have someone put a chair in the babies room. That way, at bedtime, you can have the chair next to the crib, lower the rail, have the 20 month old climb onto the chair, and then over the rail and into bed. Then pull the rail up and the chair away a little from the bed. It worked great for me when I had hernia surgery last year and couldn't lift my then 16 month old.

2. Invest in a few new puzzles, books, games, and toys. Save them for the week your husband goes back. That way each day you can pull out a "new" something. Kids are sooo entertained by new stuff. If you can't afford that, just pack up some of their stuff now. By the time they see it again, it will be like new. Hit some garage sales or thrift stores.

3. Make a "craft" box out of a small shoe box size plastic tub. Put some construction paper, stickers and crayons in it.

4. Have your husband pre make some sandwiches for lunches before he goes to work, if possible. If not, now is a good time to start teaching your 6 year old. You would be amazed at how helpful kids can be, even young ones.

5. Make a basket full of books you can leave next to the couch. My kids loved all the reading we have done together. You can also put some small balls in the basket for a game of roll back and forth. I could keep my 2 year old entertained for an hour just throwing a ball and having him bring it back. He loved it.

6. Remember, during your recovery, it is OK to let them watch a few more tv shows or videos than you might normally allow. You can be super mom again once you recover.

Good luck with everything! Don't be afraid to ask for help. You only have one chance to heal right.
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:43 AM

Your getting some super ideas here on how to prepare ahead of time. Hopefully this is relieving your anxiety a bit!I put everything I needed at waist level. ( rearranged drawers, closets, cabinets, etc.) This helps as I can't reach or bend. Super child proof the house now too, better than normal so If you do happen to fall asleep your little one may make a mess, but won't get into any trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful daisy View Post
I have surgery on Thursday and have a 8,6,4 and 15 month old. My hubby was planning on going back to work on Monday half days as I will only have the 15 month old to care for. I hope to have friends come babysit me during the day while I am alone with the baby. My dr hasn't given my any restrictions except for no sex. I asked about lifting the baby and she told me to do only what my body will allow. I don't have family nearby, and even though we offered to pay for my MIL plane ticket so she could help, she refused to fly out to take cre of the kids. I will keep you updated on how things go for me as I see we have kids will similar ages.

Sarah
Hoping that everything went well for you today! Thank you for your reply. Best wishes for recovery and help with the little ones!!!!
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Wow Ladies!!!!!! Thank you all so much for the advice!!! What a huge blessing! And, since I like to prepare and then prepare some more, this gives me things to start working on now, like stocking up on food and supplies.
It's funny, I have already been trying to train my 6 yr old some, the girls share a room and my oldest showed me the other day that if I lower the crib rail, she can get sissy out. Good to know, on many levels!!!! I'm sure that she would enjoy making lunches, so that might be her job. And I will be thinking of people to come over that second week. I know that if I ask, people will be happy to help. Just have to not be afraid to ask.

Blessings and prayers for those of you that have surgeries coming up soon. Again, thank you so much for all of the wonderful suggestions!

God Bless,
Jen
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Hi mused1025

You've gotten some great suggestions here. When my son was 2 1/2, I was on bedrest for several months and couldn't do much at all with him. It was scary and very frustrating for me.

We have an article, Children - Tips for Recovering with Small Children, that you might find helpful. There is advice from women who've been through this with their own kids.

Hang in there, and be sure to have a list of things other people can do to help so when anyone says, "What can I do?" you have an answer.

Sending hugs!
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:02 PM

I had an 18mo when I had my surgery. My advice:

*Freezer meals
*Paper plates
*Books/Games that can be played on the couch/bed
*Patience with yourself
*Help with the housework or developing the ability to ignore the mess. My house looked like I hosted ticker tape parades daily and was raising dust bunnies for fun and profit. This is where many women have set backs as they can't resist the urge to do "just one chore".
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM

I moved my youngest to a twin bed when he was about 18 to 20 months old. I had a rail that slid under the mattress. It worked great. He was able to climb in and out of the bed himself. The only draw back was since he could get out himself, he would come to our room often. Daddy would just take him back and put him back in bed.
Also I have prepared and froze 14 dinners. So when my husband or a friend isn't cooking all I have to do is heat the oven and serve the food. Your oldest DD will probably be a great help. They can do a lot at that age. (I helped my mom wash out a refrigerator at 5). My 2 DS 9 and 7 vacuum, dust, clean their room, put away clothes and put away dishes. They also feed the animals. They really are quite helpful and want to be.
You probably have more people who will help you at your church than you know. Let people know you need some help, you may be surprised how many will at least bring you dinner.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:11 AM

I had LSH/BSO 4 weeks ago, and I have an 8yo and a 3yo. My husband was home for the rest of the week, and was a huge help. I will say that I managed to save the heavy duty painkillers for night time so I wasn't groggy during the day with my kids. The gas pains were the worst part, so be sure to have Gas-X handy.

With the kiddos, enlist the older ones (esp the 6yo) to help. My 8yo daughter was a huge help during the next week or two. She got snacks for herself and her brother, even made pbj for all of us for lunch. You could also make up a loaf or two of pbj, wrap and freeze them in the loaf wrapper for easy lunches. I upped her allowance for the week to encourage her to help with other chores (laundry, dishes, etc) and taught her to vacuum -- which she was thrilled to learn. My 3yo even mopped the kitchen floor for me (with a wet mop only, of course, but it helped).

Stock up on DVDs of nice, peaceful movies to watch together (my kids love the Miyazaki films) and snuggle on the couch. If you have a streaming device and Netflix, explore some fun kids' shows or documentaries with them. "Babies" is a fun one for all ages. Visit the library before your surgery and check out the full limit of books.

Good luck. You have some time to prepare, which is good. Start getting the 6yo and 4yo ready to be your special helpers and teach them the skills you'll need them to do. And relax. It will be okay!
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM

I have a 5 yr old, 4 yr old, and 2 yr old and will have my hyster in less than 2 weeks. I've been teaching my 2 yr old to climb in and out of her car seat. For 6 weeks I won't be able to carry her to and from the car or pick her up to put her in her seat, so we've been practicing her walking to and from the car and climbing into and out of her car seat for a while now. She likes to either run away or sit down and refuse to walk and so doesn't walk and hold my hand well, so I only plan to leave the house with her without help when I have to pick my oldest up from school. I won't be able to pick up the 2 yr old to put her in a shopping cart or stroller for example, so we will be spending a lot of time at home. I've been through 3 c-sections and had a toddler to care for during the last 2, so I have a bit of an idea what I'm in for and I'm not looking forward to it. But, it's only temporary so I keep telling myself this too shall pass.

Since my surgery is more than a month before yours maybe I'll be able to offer more ideas later. My husband can only take the first 4 days off of work and after that I will be on my own.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register