surgery in 1 week and im scared - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery in 1 week and im scared surgery in 1 week and im scared

Unread 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Re: surgery in 1 week and im scared

Thank you both, I appreciate all this information very much, it is very helpful.

I just got a call from the hospital, they want me to go in tomorrow for a pre-op hosp visit, which may also include lab work( i really hope not). She said that she would check to see if i have to "be cleaned out" before hand and that i have to be to the hospital by 5 AM( Ewwwww)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I got all the instructions for the bowl prep on Tuesday. Doc said I would be cursing him about an hour after drinking. I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about the whole thing, but I'm sure I won't be laughing on Wednesday!!

I also have to be at the hospital early (5:30), but I'm not sure how well I'll sleep that night, so I guess the sooner the better.

I really hope you are not discharged before you feel you're ready. Make sure you ask about this tomorrow. Good luck!!
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:09 AM

Hi!! I had daVinci on Feb. 1st. For me it was a relatively easy surgery and recovery. My surgery took 2.5 hours. When I woke up I didn't have any pain, just discomfort. I did have to spend the night in the hospital because I got nauseous from the anesthesia. I didn't use the morphine pump or any narcotics just prescription motrin. I was back on my feet in 2 days and getting around pretty good. I did have alot of gas pain for a few days from the CO they blow your stomach up with during surgery. I was cleared to drive after 1 week and did go back to work a few hours 3 days a week. I don't think this is common. Only one other woman in my date group did that as well.

As for doing things around the house in a week? You will be able to do some small things but will definitely need help. I was able to cook meals but hubby had to lift the heavy pots & pans. Keep in mind that even though you are having daVinci it is still major surgery and the same rules apply no matter which method you have. You will still have restrictions for lifting, vacuuming, cleaning, workouts, sex, etc. for 6-8 weeks. The doctor will clear you slowly for things starting around the 4 week mark. You will need to rest and take it easy for the 6-8 weeks but you can still go out, shop, go back to work as long as you feel up to it. Listen to your body. Everyone recovers differently. I recovered faster than most but then I'm also on of those people that can't sit still for 5 seconds.

The car ride home for me was a bit rough. We live in a rural area which means they don't pave the roads to well and there are lots of potholes. Take a pillow with you and hold it against your stomach to help keep things from jiggling around. It helps alot.

You are not crazy. Feel free to rant and vent. That's what we are here for! I wish you the best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 12:02 PM

(I was diagnosed w/estrogen feeding breast cancer 12/2012. Part of my cancer treatment was to take both ovaries, with added bonus total hysterectomy and cystocele (bladder tuck) repair via DaVinci robotic surgery.)
I had the surgery 7:15 am three weeks ago. I was out of the hospital @ 8:15 pm that evening. I cannot tell you how easy and miraculous the DaVinci surgery is! I have had very little pain, except for the occasional gas cramping. (Prune juice is highly recommended.) My bladder worked perfectly immediately after the catheter was removed. My incisions are so small, that they are almost invisible.
I, like you, was scared out of my wits. I cried non-stop two days prior to surgery. My biggest fear was my bladder situation. I read so many horror stories about the cystocele repair. I have not had any bad side effects from this surgery.
I now have to take an estrogen blocker, Arimidex, to get rid of the rest of the estrogen in my body. Truthfully, I'm not having any horrible menopause issues either. I do have night sweats and occasional hot flashes; still not too bad. My memory is acting up and this is frustrating. Today, I had my post treatment visit with my radiologist and he told me the memory loss is due to the lack of estrogen. I guess I will be carrying a notepad.
Please try to be positive about the surgery. A positive mental attitude will help you heal quicker!
Please ladies, have mamograms. My cancer was caught very early and my treatments have been easy. The majority of breast cancers are hormone feeding. Those of you that have your ovaries out have greatly decreased your chances of getting breast cancer. BONUS!!!!
Deb
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM

There is such a difference in how people recover and heal. I read how some ladies are nearly bedridden and how others resume their career as a professional gymnast 4 hours after surgery - all having a da Vinci. My experience was: surgery at 7:30am which took almost 5 hours because my uterus was huge at 11.6lbs. I woke up in a lot of pain for what seemed like forever but was only minutes before IV pain drugs kicked in. I was surprising alert and not queasy at all. I had coffee, diet Pepsi and apple juice first. I was so thirsty and I have a serious caffeine addiction. I ordered dinner-a really great fruit plate and veggie soup. I was sitting up on the edge of the bed by early evening and walking the halls in the middle of the night. I had my catheter and IV out by about 3am and was able to pee right away. I checked out and was home by 1pm. The car ride was okay but bring a pillow for your belly. I have stairs and managed them fine. I did rest all the time but was not bed ridden by any means. My mother, sister and husband were with me for the weekend and then I was in my own. I pre-made lots of freezer meals and easy prep stuff. My appetite was good but I could not eat much. I still eat very small portions now. Bending was not an option for me, it was very painful. Be sure to follow all of the restrictions. I'm six months out and feel super fantastically great. I'm on HRT and have lost over 35lbs. My energy is super high and sex is ridiculous. Listen to your body and rest, water, stool softeners, walk, rest and of course Hyster Sisters!! Good luck and smooth recovery to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register