Scheduled TVH Admission waiting times - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Admission waiting times Admission waiting times

Unread 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Re: Admission waiting times

Oh wow, I was told to be at the hospital by 8:00am, they would then start IV fluids & anitbiotics for an hour and then I'd go into surgery.

Well, I guess I should've asked exactly WHEN I would have surgery. I was waiting for 5 1/2 hours. I was so mad I could've hurt someone. No one could tell me WHEN I was going into surgery. All they'd say was the doc hasn't come in yet. she's still seeing her patients at her office. I asked WHY was I told to be here at 8:00 if my surgery wasn't until.............whenever? !!!! No one could answer that either.

My nerves were already shot, I had no cigs, no food, no water, no nothing since 9:00pm the night before. by the time I had my surgery, I hadn't had ANYTHING for 16 1/2 hours. I was shaky from not having anything to eat, was sooo thursty too. I did go into the bathroom and swish water around in my mouth a couple of times. I was soooo mad. If I hadn't had gone through the bowel prep the day before (no food), I would have jerked the IV out walked out. I honestly can't describe how peed off I was.

So, I tried to watch tv, listened to my ipod and just steamed for hours. I felt like a side show circus freak because I managed to have a crap load of visitors that would just come in my room, sit, stare at me & have conversations like I wasn't there AFTER I told everyone ahead of time I didn't want people to be there, hanging out before my surgery. There was no need to. I wanted just my husband there and they knew it. So I had to entertain people at the worst time of my life. I was not a good hostess and they knew I was peed but guess what, it didn't faze them one bit.

They finally gave me happy juice right before I went into the OR. I was happy for about a minute and I woke up in recovery.

Like I said, maybe its my fault for not being specific with the questions. But, when they say and the instructions said to be there at 8:00, IV for an hour and then you go off to surgery, I assumed I'd be in surgery at least by 9:30am, not a 5 1/2 hour wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM

That 5 1/2 hour wait time is awful. So sorry that happened to you. As for the unwanted visitors pre op, I would have told the nurse nobody could come back but hubby. Who cares if they get mad, how insensitive and rude.
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM

I had strict instructions for no visitors. Well, guess what, that was only for pre op area (back in the OR), I didn't know I was going to be like in a regular hospital room for so long, waiting. I did ask the nurses if they could keep people out but they said they have no way to do that since those rooms aren't close enough to the desk and are not restricted to the public. So, people just came and went while I was in a gown, hooked up to an IV and couldn't really do anything but lay in the bed unless I wanted to pull that thing around with me.........and I didn't.

I was just totally in the dark about when it was going to happen. If I had known of the wait, I would've prepared (mentally) for it. I dang sure would't have shown up at 8:00 am. I had all of my lab work and tests done a week before so there was no reason for me to be there that early.

My nerves were a mess that day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM

The day that I was originally scheduled, I had to be at the castle at 8am. I knew I wouldn't be going back until at least noon. They gave me a xanax and tylenol to curb the anxiety. I kept falling asleep in the waiting room. 7 hours later, the surgeon came in to tell me that I had been cancelled due to two emergency surgeries that cropped up. By that time, it had been over 24 hrs since I'd eaten anything and 18 hrs since I'd had anything to drink. The nurses felt so bad that they raided their fridge. They handed me a Diet Coke and graham crackers. Best free Diet Coke ever. Hahaha!

Luckily, I was the first surgery for her 4 days later. I came in at 6am and was knocked out by 8:45am. Currently 13 days post-op.
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:26 AM

Cathb thanks for letting me know the gum can make you feel sick. Something to think about.
Keltec, I can't imagine how annoyed you must have been. I know im in for a long wait, but to think you will be seen within an hour and to have to wait for so long is just mean.
Stacy, you would think they would have told you sooner that you were not getting your surgery done that day.
Sometimes the nursing staff need a kick in the pants when it comes to telling the patients what is happening.
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:15 AM

A good rule of thumb is to add eight hours to your fasting time. In all my previous surgery it has come in pretty close to that. So if you have to stop eating at, say, 7:30 am, you can probably expect that you'll go in some time after 3:30 pm. The reason for this guide, of course, is that there's a minimum time of fasting required prior to your anaesthetic. I hope this helps. )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register