Cervix removal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix removal Cervix removal

Unread 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Cervix removal

I am having a Robotic hysterectomy on April 17th, not sure if I should keep my cervix or have it removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Re: Cervix removal

For me it was an easy decision, there was no reason to keep it, and two if there were any future problems and it needed removing in the future I didn't want to go through another surgery. My view...was take it all I don't want to do this again.
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM

I opted not to keep mine because I have has many abnormal paps in the past, and cervical cancer runs in my family. I will say that not having the cervix did noticeably shorteny vaginal canal, and sex has been an adjustment, great, but an adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2012, 08:35 PM

Have you talked to your dr about it?

I asked mine when I went to my pre-op (after looking thru a BUNCH of threads here ) - and I wasn't given a vote in the decision due to the type of surgery I was having. Which I kinda had already guessed...and after seeing my pathology report, it was a good thing my dr did remove it.
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:36 PM

I had DvH on 12/23. I didn't have a choice to keep my cervix. My dr says she always takes it. She guaranteed me though that it wouldn't affect sex and I wasn't sure to believe her but it didn't affect it. In fact, I have a better sex life now than I have ever had. IMO, its one less place for me to get cancer. I can't have uterine cancer or cervical cancer...ever....that is a good feeling.
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Mine is gone, don't want the mini periods that some women have if they keep their cervix and ovaries as well. My doc took my tubes as well.
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Sally View Post
I am having a Robotic hysterectomy on April 17th, not sure if I should keep my cervix or have it removed.
I understand. It is a difficult decision to allow someone to remove parts of your body, esp the ones so tied to who and what we are. No going back if it isn't how you had hoped. I resisted having mine taken at first. I wanted as little changed as necessary. My doctor, however, argued that I have it all done at once as surgery for me has had serious complications in the past. He felt it was too much of a risk to go back later if I needed it removed.
I too had the Robotic Hysterectomy. I didn't rebound quite as fast as most of my doctor's previous robotic surgeries but it was definitely far less of an ordeal than my previous 3 abdominal surgeries had been.
I was most concerned that I would not feel the same after the healing was done. The one complication that I had heard about was that some women experienced loss of feeling after. (I think you know what I mean). I was very relieved to find that this was not the case for me. If anything, it made response easier. It does feel different, I can't really explain it, not in a bad way but in one that will take some getting used to.
I was sad to see all of it go. You would think I would have been relieved, I have had several miscarriages, two high risk deliveries and was dangerously anemic from fibroids and excessive periods for most of my life. I should have been glad it was going to be over. I doubt that my male doctor really understood my resistance to his "making my life better'. Who but another woman really could?
For me the choice was the right one. I am still not entirely convinced that it was the best one. I simply ran out of other real options.
Not everyone will feel the same after. You hope for the best but be prepared to deal if it doesn't happen. The only thing I can really stress is it is YOUR body and in the end must be YOUR choice. YOU will be the one to spend the rest of your life living very personally with it. Make sure you are at peace with the decision.
If you need someone to talk to feel free to write me privately.
Tracey
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:04 PM

I had a vaginal hyster with laproscopic exploration for possible endometriosis, so I had no choice. Vaginal hysterectomy must include cervix removal. But I had adenomyosis, and it was affecting the cervix. Sex was extremely painful before the hysterectomy. It's beyond great now.
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:06 PM

I had my surgery just over a week ago. I was told that I would keep my ovaries and cervix however upon discharge the nurse told me the specimans for pathology were listed as cervix and uterus. I will ask my doctor at my check up. I too had heard that it can affect your sex drive and well.... that will remain to be seen.
I am just glad to be healing well. I know I had a great Dr. so I am sure he had his reasons.
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:24 PM

My thought was it could only cause more problems in the future. I had some abnormal paps and just felt like it might as well go too, while they were in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register