Cervix removal - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix removal Cervix removal

Unread 04-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Re: Cervix removal

Interesting to see all the responses here. I had DvH, sacrocolpopexy on 3/21/12. For the sacrocolpopexy they keep the cervix (at least they did with me) so that they have some firm tissue to anchor to the sacrum - I had significant prolapse. So for me, they did NOT want to remove the cervix and that was fine with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM

I had a TAH in Aug.2010 . I had no choice in the matter. I had cervical cancer and I had to have it removed. For me sex is worst now because of how much they had to remove and short things. It is very painful and I also have growths on my scar inside.. So All I can say is talk to your dr.

I pray everything goes well. (( hugs))
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:14 PM

I will add that in loosing my cervix did not affect me sexually. Yes it is different, but orgasms are better, stronger as is my interest in sex. Prior to surgery I could go months. Post surgery several times a week is not uncommon.

But as others have said, talk to your Dr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2012, 10:50 PM

I wasnt given the option , mine was removed due to excess scar tissue from biospy from years ago , making it virtually impossible for smears to be done successfully . I think had i been given the option i would have opted to have it removed for the reasons of , a) not wanting to go in again in a few years and have it removed (would rather get it all done at once ) b) and because i was told if cervix is left ,you can still get your period !! and c) they have completely stitched the top of the vaginal this will prevent prolapses ? well thats what i beleive .
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:59 PM

My Dr said it was my choice. I am having robotic on April 27 due to a family of fibroids living in my uterus and some are quite large. My Dr will have to cut them up to remove them. I chose to let him take my cervix and remove everything through my vagina in hopes of keeping the incisions on my stomach as small as possible..
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacie1965 View Post
My Dr said it was my choice. I am having robotic on April 27 due to a family of fibroids living in my uterus and some are quite large. My Dr will have to cut them up to remove them. I chose to let him take my cervix and remove everything through my vagina in hopes of keeping the incisions on my stomach as small as possible..
my surgeon sliced my fibroids and removed them through the vagina my largest was the size of a orange , he also removed my cervix , im not sure how your feeling now ,but with my fibriods i had no energy and my periods were so heavy , im 5 weeks post op now ,and although im still recovering and am on light duties at work i feel so much better than before i had the op , i no longer need the afternoon power naps and early nights i no longer wake up 3 times a night to go for a pee and i no longer wake up tired . its the best thing ive done in a long time ,best of luck with your op
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:20 AM

My doctor said women who keep their cervix usually have greater sexual satisfaction afterward, and since it was only my uterus causing the problems, I opted to keep my cervix. So far, so good!
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:22 AM

My doctor said that she would even advise her own sister to have it removed. I gave birth to 4 children, two of which were very large births. So, there could be prolapse with my cervix, so I decided to just go ahead and remove it. She also said that the way she hikes everything up and sutures it all together, will be better than my "original" cervix (no shortening of the vaginal wall). I am now 12 weeks post-op and back to my normal routine and sexually as well and I don't notice anything different. Everything is working as normal. Hope this encourages anyone.
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:33 AM

And just to add to what everyone has said....my doctor was orignally removing everything. But, once in there he removed part of the cervix. Remaining was so attached to the bladder that I would have had serious bladder problems once removed. Thankful I was spared that. He also ended up leaving one ovary in because it looked in good condition. So, I guess what I'm saying is that discuss with doctor options, but be prepare that it might not work out that way
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM

Had no choice - had a radical hysterectomy because of cancer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register