Scheduled dVH/RALH Recliner? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Recliner?

Hello "future" sisters, Ive read many posts on here about sisters really using & depending on their recliners no matter what type of surgery they had. There is a possibility of my surgery becoming a TAH, but hoping that isnt the case. (It will be a pretty intense cleaning out of endo & adhesions internally- I do know that much.) I currently do not have a comfy recliner. I do however have an old glider rocker that leans back a bit. Just looking for some input from the princesses to see if I should be putting feelers out for a used recliner. Thank you so much! Best wishes to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Re: Recliner?

I had a TAH and this is my experience: it hurt to get out of the recliner. But i'm on the small side so the recliner doesn't fold up easily with me in it. Boy, do you use abdominals to get up! I preferred the bed (with a chair beside it as a railing) or the couch--easier to roll out of.

The daVinci ladies will have to speak of their experience since there are differences in where our incisions are.
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Hey ace37 - I do have a nice recliner, but preferred the sofa over that or the bed, it was just easier to roll up off of! I had daVinci and tried the bed the first day, but it was waay too soft, tried to turn on my side to get up, the way the instructions say to do - but it immediately felt that my insides twisted all around and caused major pain!! I didn't get back in the bed for about a week, slept on the sofa at night, spent the days on the sofa too. Sofa also helps with turning over onto your side cause you can grab the back of the sofa as a handle I did have surgery on my nose last year and preferred the recliner then - but didn't have to worry about not trying to use my abs to get up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM

I borrowed one and lived in it for a while, at least during the day it was much more comfortable than sitting straight up and my bed seemed to swollow me.
Unread 04-11-2012, 07:35 PM

I have not had hysterectomy but did have lap with removal of adhesions and biopsy for endow 3 wks ago and left ovary removed and partial tube 1 1/2 yrs ago laproscopic.With both procedures I lived in my recliner for first 48 hrs.It killed me to lay flat because of the gas.I can understand previous post bout using and to use recliner but mine is nice and worn so works pretty easy.I'm a fairy small person as well my biggest complaint was keeping it reclined..lol..but since you you do not already own one I bet lots of pillows on your couch would work just as well..I do not believe you will be able to get in and out for awhile due to more invasive then what I went through and I could not but everyone is different.Good Luck. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM

@shortnsweet- Unfortunately I am more on the "fluffy" side of the size spectrum- I can see how it would be hard to move it if a regular size ( Id have quite the weight to assist me )
@Tuesday- the couch isnt too low?
@ khallman& aleta- sounds like the recliner was a big part of your recovery.
I want to thank you all for your input! Im still on the fence about this. The glider rocker I have is a metal framed, not very cushioned, chair. It does recline a bit by pushing it back with your back & it has an ottoman. I honestly cant remember if I sat in it after my last 2 surgeries. I just might have to put feelers out with friends & check freecycle & craigslist. I have a few weeks, but Im scared if I dont get one I willbe miserable (in bed or my beat up couch) post-op & then Id be stuck. Hmmm. Thank you again!!! Best wishes to all of you!!!
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:55 PM

I don't have a recliner and was fine on my own beat up couch. Sitting upright was never a problem on the couch, though I wasn't able to sit comfortably on a hard chair for about a month. If you are used to sitting on your couch, you should be just fine on it as you recover
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:22 AM

Hi. I am only post-op day 2 from my davinci surgery. I had everything removed a ton of adhesions too. I have been sleeping and hanging on my sectional sofa, I did sleep in my bed for a little while this afternoon but it hurt really bad to get from it. I think a recliner would be ok but not really needed, I perfer my sofa with lots of pillows to prop up my head and back and then more to prop my legs and knees up on. Good luck to you...
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:31 AM

Oh my! I see we are all so different. I had DaVinci a week ago.I was planning on doing the bed thing as I absolutely hated our recliner. After trying the bed the first day home from the hospital I moved to the recliner the next day and have literally lived in it with my lap top on my tummy. I sleep in the bed at night and take one nap a day in the bed, laying flat on my back, but it isn't comfortable to sit in the day propped up. In bed I wake up very still and in a lot of pain, but I still go there each night to give my bottom a break from the recliner. It;s difficult to get out of bed most times unassisted.I have tried on 4 different occasions to test drive the couch, but keep going back to the recliner. If I had a foot stool or ottoman the couch would probably be fine with a pillow behind my back for support. I actually think your rocker glider sounds heavenly, but you'll want something to prop your feet up on!
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:18 AM

I had a DvH that turned into a TAH and I did quite well without a recliner. My bed was very comfortable for me as well as my futon / couch. I slept well on my bed and I took naps / rested during the day on my couch.

Good luck!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register