Scheduled dVH/RALH Recliner? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Re: Recliner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnsweet2 View Post
I had a TAH and this is my experience: it hurt to get out of the recliner. But i'm on the small side so the recliner doesn't fold up easily with me in it. Boy, do you use abdominals to get up! I preferred the bed (with a chair beside it as a railing) or the couch--easier to roll out of.

The daVinci ladies will have to speak of their experience since there are differences in where our incisions are.
I had daVinci and I agree with you. It hurt to get out of the recliner. Plus, I got stuck in it because I couldn't use my abs to pull myself up. Hubby had to pry me out. I stuck to the couch or my bed. It was much easier to roll off than try to sit up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Sofa during the day, my bed at night.

sofa was low enough to kinda push up onto my elbow and roll off. I had pillows that I propped up on and slept all day, day in, day out on that sofa.

Plus I had the 50" HD tv in livingroom and was closer to the kitchen. lol
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:50 PM

I agree with Keltec - the sofa wasn't too low for me (I'm only 5'1 tho) - whenever DH wasn't around to get me up off the sofa, I was able to just kinda roll off, I thought I'd be able to do that with my bed too, but for some reason it was different - the bed was horrible for me for the first few nights. Also, something I noticed - I wasn't comfortable sitting on very cushioned surfaces - first couple times out to dinner with DH, I sat at a booth and was SO uncomfortable! Then sat in a hard chair and was fine. Anyone else experience that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:58 PM

Yes, I'm a week post op and very often get off the recliner, take a few laps around the house and then go sit on my hard wooden kitchen chair for an hour before taking some more laps around he house and going back to the recliner. I also have plastic stacking patio chairs on front and back porch and those are my 2 favorite chairs to sit in, I think it is the firmness we need sometimes.
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM

Thank you all SO MUCH for sharing your "Princess Wisdom" . It sure is great being part of this community. No matter what is going on with someone there is someone else with something similar. It is funny how it seems to be half & half of recliner vs sofa- even among the same surgery types. It seemed like most all the post-op comments I had read mentioned princesses not being able to live w/o their recliners, but now I feel like it will be ok either way. I dont think the glider rocker I have will work as it wont get my feet up enough & I could just see myself tripping over the separate ottoman & hurting myself even more lol. I guess I will make my "decision" abt getting a recliner based on if I can find one. If not, I guess its meant to be. I will DEFINATELY be flipping & rotating my mattress before I head off to the castle tho.

Thank you all again!!!
Best wishes to each of you whether you are awaiting your trip to the castle or are recovering on the other side!
Xxxx
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:41 PM

OP,

I have yet to have my hysterectomy, But I had a c-section (horizontal) 5 months ago next week. I went home from the hospital at less than 48 hours because I had a sick 4 yr old and my baby was in special care so I couldn't be with her anyway.

The first night in my really bad old bed was so wretched! The next morning we went to Big Lots (a discount store just in case you aren't familiar) and found a cheap recliner.

I am actually still sleeping in it. My incision has long since healed....but it is so much more comfy than my old mattress...and so much cheaper than replacing it. I got it for $299 with money my husband's generous blog readers sent a a holiday gift.

I tried a couple and decided on it because it was stationary. no rocking. Getting up from a rocking recliner hurt maybe more than from the bed.
This one also has no side handle. I am weak, so that and the pain would have made one with the handle unusable. as long as I kept the ice pressed close it didn't hurt terrible much to use my back to push it back.

And I am very overweight so had extra weight pulling on the incision. That probably is to my detriment.
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:05 AM

Instead of buying one maybe you should start asking around to friends and family that live near by. Often times people have them cluttering up their house or stored in their basement. Maybe someone will lend you theirs for 2 months. Also maybe a thrift store might have them cheaper.
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:10 AM

Oooh, Big Lots... We have one of those close by that I could check out- thanks! I am an active member in 3 different freecycle groups & have posted a "want" regarding a recliner or even borrowing 1. No replies yet, but one never knows. My father actually has TWO @ his house (matching "his & hers") but neither of them will "sacrafice" theirs for me to borrow for a bit. Kinda bugs me, but guess it is what it is. Only reason I can even consider looking at buying one- new or used is bc of tax return.
Thank you for the advice about 1 that doesnt rock- makes lots of sense.

You all are the greatest!!
xxx
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Happy shopping!!
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Thanks Cathb!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register