Epidural....How is it done? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Epidural....How is it done? Epidural....How is it done?

Unread 01-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Epidural....How is it done?

Hi I am really nervous surgery is tommorow 1/11 9:15A and I can't make up my mind about this epidural thing I am still confused about exactly where they put it so you can lay on it? And how will I feel when I wake up? Do your legs stay numb? I might Freak!!!!

Anyone whose had one please explain I have had so much PAIN this year really do not want anymore than I need! Also is this the thing that some people say makes it feel like you can't breathe? Or is that the Spinal?

They want to put me under general anesthesthia and use the epidural for pain?

Does it hurt when the put the Epidural in? Where exactly do they put it? I think I am repeating myself but I am very nervous! I am having TAH/BSO and cyst .

Thanks again everyone I LOVE THIS SITE!

Parisflygirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2002, 09:37 AM

I have had a spinal and 3 epidurals. When they put it in, it's just a small prick in your back. Since you will be out when they do it, you won't feel it. Once it was in, I didn't feel it in.

The cord that runs to the epidural runs goes across your shoulder and down your back. When the medicine goes in, it feels as though your back is suddenly cold and wet. It's not, it's just the cold running thru the tube. It's like an iv tube.

Be glad you are having it because the first few hours after you wake up are no fun by any means. I was miserable for the first few hours.

And, the morphine that they put me on made me so sick. You get to avoid that with the epidural.

Good luck. I will be thinking of you!!!
Unread 01-10-2002, 10:34 AM
Hi, honey, I can understand your fear

but really, it's nothing. Compared to having the iv put it, if the IV is a 5 on a scale of 1 - 10, then the epi is about a 2! The little thin cathether will be so small you won't even notice it. it will be taped to your back and probably draped over your shoulder. more than like a PCA pump will be attached so you can give yourself an extra dose (bolus) every 30 minutes. They put mine in in pre-op right before they knocked me out, but if I understand correctly they can just put it in while you are asleep if you want.

and best of all, if it doesn't control your pain, it's not biggie, they'll just give you a shot in your iv of your favorite narcotic of choice and switch you over to that.

good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2002, 12:46 PM
easy epidural

I had a TAH 3 weeks ago & requested an epidural because general makes me so sick. They didn't give me the epidural until they had put a sedative in my IV, so I didn't feel a thing. Then they continued plenty of sedation throughout the surgery, so I slept the whole time. I don't even remember going to the hospital bed. When I woke up, my legs were fine. I still had a catheter and self-administered pain killer. I'd really recommend the epidural if you've had a bad experience with general like I did. good luck with whatever you choose.
Unread 01-10-2002, 11:39 PM

My epidural was left in for 24 hours for pain relief, and I did have significant numbness in one leg during that time. However, the feeling progressively, and once the epidural was removed, everything was fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register