Crying about every little thing and feeling scared.... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Crying about every little thing and feeling scared.... Crying about every little thing and feeling scared....

Unread 01-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Hang In There!

[quote]Originally posted by Julie B.
[b]I must admit(and I hope that no-one here will be upset at me for bringing this up)that after reading some of the "post-op" stories, I have become petrified of what I might go through after my surgery.

Heh. I did the same thing when I first went to the post-op site. YIKES was about all I could think, and I *want* this surgery, I've been begging for it for years!

My advice to you is what I did: for every "good lord, what I am I about to do to myself?!" thread I read, I looked at five "this is the BEST thing I EVER did for myself!" threads. This isn't hard to do, there really are a lot of women who feel (and look, in some cases) better than they ever have.

If you do this and still freak out worrying about what horrible complication you'll come down with, then I suggest you not look at all till you're home from the castle =)

If at all possible, try to think happy thoughts while you're waiting. Try to envision yourself a few months down the road, feeling good and doing things you never could have before the surgery, think of ways you can take better care of yourself to take maximum advantage of the new you, think about goals you have and how much easier they will be to accomplish when you are really feeling well. Maybe it'll be helpful to you to look six or eight months into the future and think good thoughts about what you could achieve by then, rather than worrying about upcoming surgery and how you might feel immediately afterward. I do this a lot, and I do find it comforting.

I've made up my mind that I am going to be one of those women who feel better than ever, even if some yucky complication rears its ugly head along the way. I am firm believer in positive attitude contributing to faster and better healing. I know this is easy for me to say because I am *incredibly* blessed with enthusiastic supporters, both at home and on the job, I have no small children at home, I have plenty of sick time built up and can work at home if I feel like it so I won't have any financial worries outside of the usual "if I hit the lottery" pipe dreams, and I have plenty of time to prepare for this and for once in my life get at least somewhat organized. But look at all the people out there who have made the most miraculous recoveries from terrible terrible tragedies, most of whom aren't nearly as lucky as I. So many of them have doctors who are shaking their heads and saying, "If it wasn't for her attitude, she wouldn't have made it." That in itself tells me that attitude may not be everything, but it counts for a lot.

I'll probably freak out at least once between now and February 13, and I may even cry a time or two before, during, and after surgery but I will try to remember and maintain good thoughts in between.

>Some of you are really going through a tough time of it post-op, and I really and truly feel for you!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with this, I do too. There are people out there that I just want to pack up and bring home and take care of for a while so they can get some real rest and peace and quiet without worries or hassles!

Think good thoughts and read happy messages for a while. I hope everything goes as smoothly and painlessly as possible for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2002, 11:03 AM
Oh, I can relate

I'm scheduled for TAH Feb 4(killer fibroids).. I run hot and cold, one minute tears welling up and the next minute I'm so happy at the thought of no more pain and bloooood all over the place. My uterus has never been my friend, though. IN '79 I had an ectopic pregnancy which blew up my right ovary. Emergency surgery and 2 units of blood later (lost the tube and ovary) I was doing fine. Four miscarriages down the road and I could not take the physical and mental anguish any more and told my DH I quit trying to get preg. I gave him the option of leaving, I would not contest any divorce. Well, to make along story short, he thought I was nuts, and we have been married now for 30 yrs in May. Lots of men marry you for you and not your plumbing. I have a dog and kitty and a happy home and no real regrets. Anyway, this is my first post, so please excuse the blabbing. Bless you all!
Unread 01-10-2002, 11:21 AM
Experience

Well, I can't really relate to any of the crying; however, I was anxious to get this done and over with since my fibroids were killing me and the amount of blood I was losing was extreme.

I had my surgery exactly 1 week ago today. The hospital staff were wonderful, the pain was minimal, I peed right after they took the catheter out, I pooped on the 4th day, and everything went very smoothly. I did have a lot of people pray for me as I was scared. But I am soooo greatful that I am feeling fine right now. I take my little walks, rest, eat right and drink plenty of water. My husband just took me to the video store this morning. That was quite a treat for me. I never bled after surgery and I am healing quite nicely.

I wanted to let you know about a successful operation. I am finally over it and feeling pretty good. I know it's kinda scary but there are a lot of successful operations that I'm sure never make it to this site. I just wanted you to read another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Pre-castle doubts & fears

Oh, geez, I'm afraid of all that too. I've read enough here to know this is normal, and yet it doesn't always feel normal. It was very good to hear you express those same fears. I hook in very fast to sad & angry feelings. It's like I overreact, and I'm pretty sure it's due to my anxiety & fear of this upcoming surgery & what that will be & mean afterwards. Then when I think I'm having a worry-free day, I get clumbsy and more forgetful than normal. Today I bent a thumbnail back too far, dropped a book on my toes, and lost my walking shoes! Sleeping's all right though - I just stay up reading posts here and playing solitaire on the computer until I start falling asleep (& off the chair). Thanks for your posts. Although it's hard to admit how vulnerable I'm feeling, still it feels good to be able to do so here - it feels safe. Hugs to you all.
Unread 01-10-2002, 12:13 PM
Crying about every little thing and feeling scared....

ME TOO!!
I am second guessing the surgery - after all my fibroids aren't as big as my head as some report! I couldn't get to sleep last 2 nights. Scared of the whole deal. Can't wait till it's over - I hope to be able to watch the whole winter olympics and lay by the fire, read books! I think I feel guilty about looking forward to that because as a mom and primary caregiver to 92 yr old mother and as a wife, employee, pet owner.... when else do you have to do nothing! That is something positive!
Jo Lawson
Unread 01-10-2002, 01:19 PM
welcome!

Hi, Moongirl! Welcome to HysterSisters! Glad you found us and best wishes on your upcoming hyst. You've been through a lot with your uterus. Take care
Ruthie
Unread 01-10-2002, 01:21 PM
Olympics!

Ooo - I hadn't thought of laying around & watching the Olympics. There's something to look forward to!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register