How much time off work will I need | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much time off work will I need How much time off work will I need

Unread 04-12-2012, 09:02 PM
How much time off work will I need

Hi All,

I'm having a vaginal hysterectomy and my cervix will be removed as well. My surgery isn't scheduled yet, but it will be the end of the month or beginning of May.

I am a high school teacher. It everything goes well how much time will I really need off work?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Re: How much time off work will I need

Hi there! If I were you I'd plan on taking at least 6 weeks off...you can always go back before that if you feel up to it, but speaking from experience, you'll be happy with yourself if you take the full 6 weeks....if you're on a traditional school year, you may just want to take the end of the year off and transition right into summer! :-)
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:08 PM

to HysterSisters!

I am sorry you have to have a hysterectomy, but am glad you found this site.

As far as time off, everyone is different. But you may want to plan on at least 3 weeks and maybe more. As a teacher you are doing lots of standing, and that may be uncomfortable. You will also be really exhausted - this surgery can really take it out of you. Keep in mind that no matter how they enter your tummy, you will have hundreds of internal stitches and your insides will have much healing to do.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 09:19 PM

I would also plan for 6 weeks. If you need less that's great. There is such a wide range of how people recover but even if you feel great you don't want to over do it Also be guided by what your doctor recommends.
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the response and the support I'm so glad I found this site.
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Hello Micker..This place is the best place to be for all your questions, advice, suggestions. The women in here are very informative and experienced, were not doctors but we are all going through the same thing, we care, love, and suppport one another,.I am so happy i found this site to help me through my recovery. I have been at peace and comforted through many tough days with the help of the women in here...So as for your question about how much time off work, i would also agree that 6wks is the recommended time frame and it wasnt until i was finally in post op that i could fully understand the need for that much time off work, and yes allowing yourself that much time will give you the peace of mind and rest needed as you heal, and you wont feel pressured if you had only taken a few weeks off and then realize u need more, so best to take lots of time off...Peace be with you
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:36 AM

Hi,

I would say definitely 6 weeks. I also work in a HS as a secretary and I only took 3 and it really should have been more. I've been having a couple of issues and it might have been better to have had more time.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:35 AM

As others have said, talk to your doctor first. Ask the doct to give you 6 weeks even if he/she might suggest less, just to be on the safe side.

I had 8 weeks off but had TAH. My doc told me if I needed more, she'd give it to me. I wasn't even close to feeling up to working and I sit at a desk all day but I went back. It wasn't so much as the pain or uncomfortable, it was fatigue and total exhaustion. That hung around for about 5 months for me.

I know some women that had TVH/LAVH, and they felt fine and was back to work within 2-3 weeks. Everyone is different. Just because you had a less invasive surgery, doesn't mean you heal any faster internally. Just the external scars heal quicker. We all heal at about the same rate internally (total healing time 6-12 months)

Don't feel like you should be going back just because this person or that person went back at a certain time.

Prepare to take a minimum of 6 weeks. Go back sooner if you feel like it. BUT, its difficult to start back early and then take off again for another 3-4 weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register