hyst pending I'd love to hear othere's experiences in similar situations. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hyst pending I'd love to hear othere's experiences in similar situations. hyst pending I'd love to hear othere's experiences in similar situations.

Unread 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM
hyst pending I'd love to hear othere's experiences in similar situations.

I'm new here and have been reading a lot of the hysterectomy, options, and hormone replacement articles here over the past few days. I have a laproscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy looming...still waiting for a call on the date.

my story is long so I will give you the bullet points.

spring 2002- my back went out for no apparent reason in college and tests showed that I just had a bulging disk. After this I was very limited physically though they said they so no reason for it. I was 19

intervening years
...different maladies popped up all over the place gradually including hormone imbalance seeming symptoms and drastic weight gain.

January 2005
- I got married and had health ins so started making the rounds trying to figure out what was wrong. Diagnosis: Advanced Lyme Disease....after months of IV treatment I went to the top Infectious Diseases guy in NY and was told that the Lyme had been stopped but that it had done irreparable damage to my body so I would likely be sick the rest of my life.

Add 100 lbs

add 1 Miscarriage
a daughter in 2007
3 yrs of infertility
Surprise second daughter Nov 2011 (7 weeks early by emergency c- section after months of close monitoring because it was unsafe for her on the inside.

Present (5 months postpartum) STILL bleeding 5 frikin' months later....plus overwhelmed with tons of menopause like symptoms. PLUS still have tons of preg symptoms!

I was considering ablation as suggested by my dr but after doing some reading decided it wasn't the right course for me as it would not address any of the hormonal issues....just the bleeding.
Talked to DR again and we are scheduling the Hyst....my choice of leaving the ovaries or taking them out.
On her recommendation, I am leaning towards keeping one for the time being. She said that sometimes...leaving one somehow makes the hormones re-balance....and if not....removing it later is a lot less of a deal than the initial surgery.

So I am currently getting up to speed on research on hormones and supplements and would love to find some "sisters" who have had similar experiences to me and what worked for them.

I have gotten quite a bit of info reading through the articles on this site. But am just now making it to the forums.

PS...this all started at the age of 19 when I was a very healthy very active and strong 130 lb (59 Kilo?) size 8.

Now, I am 29 and a very disabled and weak 255 lb (15.66K) size I don't know...Maybe 4x or 24?
My pre- pregnancy clothes don't fit. I am 10 lbs up today from the day before I went in to Deliver my daughter.

That is my Blaaah stuff in a nutshell Very big nutshell, huh? Emphasis on NUT!

Back to the introducing of myself instead of my disabilities.

I was born and raised in NY. Met my husband in college and he is the best husband a girl could have. he takes care of me, is an awesome father to our girls, smartest guy I know (computer geek by trade, philosopher, student of life, and writer for fun).

We Met in FL moved to NY where we got married, back to FL, To Ga, and then a couple of miles away to AL. We are hoping to get back to Pensacola as soon as possible because we found it a beautiful place to live and would like to raise our girls there.
On the other hand....all of our immediate families are up north in Delaware and NY...so when situations like hospitalizations arise...sure would be nice to have someone around to help out.

That's me....looking forward to hearing from folks in the same or similar boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Re: hyst pending I'd love to hear othere's experiences in similar situations.

I'm guessing i picked too ambiguous a title. So I'll bump....hopefully that isn't against the rules.

I'm a newbie and would love to hear if anyone else is in a similar situation.

Synopsis:

- age 29
- still bleeding heavily 5 months postpartum
- still experiencing pregnancy symptoms along with menopause symptoms

- considering having both ovaries out to try to use hrt to get me more stable since my hormones have been wonky for years.
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:36 PM

Aww Alabama,
I am so sorry you are experiencing all of this so young.

Have you asked for a second opinion from another GYN/oncologist?
Taking out both of your ovaries at the young age of 29 deserves two opinions.
I am so double your age, so I had both of my ovaries taken out.
You may develop surgical menopause within two weeks of the surgery.
I had Complex Atypical Hyperplasia, cysts and fibroids on one ovary, and a prolapsed uterus. I also was bleeding 3 weeks out of 4 each month. I was in pain in one side.

HRT??
Short term, maybe. Long term? Not a good thing.
Sometimes the HRT "brings on" cancers.
You also get hormones from your ovaries to maintain your heart health.

As far as your weight gain, it is important health-wise to lose the weight.

My Uterine pre-cancer and tumor in my ovary may have been caused by my excess fat. I weighed about 190 at my highest, right after my hysterectomy in February 2011.

I also had high cholesterol (239) high blood pressure (148/90) and borderline diabetes. My A1c was 7 at it's highest.

You just have to take it day by day, meal by meal.
Start by clearing out all of the sugary food items in your home.
Next, give or throw away all the junk food.
Ditto for processed foods.
I limited my dairy foods, and got rid of red meat altogether.

I ate a lot more salads (w/ fat-free dressings) and fresh vegetables.
I also logged my food onto this website:
"My FitnessPal.com."
On this site, I got serious about logging in all foods that I ate or drank.
EVERYTHING.
I also drank lots of water, no coffees or sodas.

The next big change was daily exercise when my doctor said it was O.K.
I tried to tell my doctor (GP) that I couldn't exercise because I just had a hysterectomy 3 or 4 months ago, LOL.
He gave me NO mercy. He said "WHAT is stopping you?? You are WAAAAY too FAT."
I was sad when I got home, but I realized that he was right.
I started exercising a little bit. First, it was walking outside for 10 minutes. Then I increased it by 10 minutes each week.
Soon I was walking an hour a day, 5 or 6 days a week.

I have lost about 48 pounds since June of last year.
My cholesterol is 174, and my BP is 138/78. My A1c (average 3 month blood sugar) is 5.

I used to wear a size 16. I now wear a 6.

It is not about vanity, it is about health. I want you to feel better and stave off these future cancer cells.

I don't have the same circumstances as you, but I could see me with a few of your challenges.

Good Luck.
Hang in there.

Congratulations on your baby, daughter,and nice husband. You are blessed and lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2012, 12:38 AM

@suzieQ55,
believe it or not, that was the SHORT version.

I also have extensive arthritis and fibromyalgia. and my metabolism and hormone production are some of hte things shot by the Lymes Disease.

no matter what I eat or do (sometimes I have bouts of less pain and try to do more) I just gain....don't even stay steady.

Amazingly the only way I can loose weight is to be pregnant! Weird, right? I delivered at 1 lb up from my prepregnancy weight!

I'm on enough meds to kill an ox and my pain is barely under control.

so weight loss (unless it is caused by re balancing hormones) is not in the cards.

I am just hoping that this surgery will at least improve some of the hormonal issues...and make me feel halfway like a real person.

My kids would like for me to be more fun and energetic I'm sure.

If I can get my hormones evened out....and can keep my pain masked...hopefully I can start walking a bit. I love to walk.

Now if only I can figure out a way for the stroller to push itself since pushing the stroller while walking causes pain tht even my narcotic patch can't mask.
Anybody on here make baby stroller pushing robots?
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq55 View Post

I have lost about 48 pounds since June of last year.
My cholesterol is 174, and my BP is 138/78. My A1c (average 3 month blood sugar) is 5.

I used to wear a size 16. I now wear a 6.

That is awesome! You must feel great to have accomplished that!

I used that site too when I was pregnant with gestational diabetes. I loved the site. Strangely I found it fun to logg in the food and such.

you would think it would be in my favor that I don't like many sweets. But unfortunately it doesn't make a difference with my weight.

also....with all the health problems I do have....I know that I am blessed to not have any heart, blood pressure, or cholesterol issues. I am hoping it is my genes and that I'll be a lucky one and never have to worry about those on top of the other stuff.
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:30 AM

I think you need a second, maybe thrd opinion. How long have you had th hormone imbalance> You had 2 children recently and that may have thrown you out of whack. Also you doctor can test your hormones and give you medication to try to balance what is out of whack.Removing your ovaries would not be the first option I'd choose at 29. Do some research, you really NEED your ovaries for so many reasons. As for the post pregnancy bleeding. I had that after my 3rd child was born and a D&C cleared it up. There was some placenta left behind from the birth and it continued to bled. What tests has your doctor done to try to determine the cause of your post pregnancy bleeding.? I think you have much to explore before you decide on a hysterectomy, as it doesn't fix everything and actually could make your health issue worse.
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:45 AM

Thanks for your response.
I am sorry that due to metabolic challenges you can not lose weight.
I would definitely get another opinion, then seek the help of a gyn that specializes in regulating hormone levels.
Ask your gyn doctor, or ask other women in your area.
Maybe an endocrinologist can be helpful, not sure.

Good Luck!
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathb911 View Post
I think you need a second, maybe thrd opinion. How long have you had th hormone imbalance> You had 2 children recently and that may have thrown you out of whack. Also you doctor can test your hormones and give you medication to try to balance what is out of whack.Removing your ovaries would not be the first option I'd choose at 29. Do some research, you really NEED your ovaries for so many reasons. As for the post pregnancy bleeding. I had that after my 3rd child was born and a D&C cleared it up. There was some placenta left behind from the birth and it continued to bled. What tests has your doctor done to try to determine the cause of your post pregnancy bleeding.? I think you have much to explore before you decide on a hysterectomy, as it doesn't fix everything and actually could make your health issue worse.
I agree with cathb911. I had retained placenta after my 2nd was born and almost bled to death. A D&C removed it, and although it took months to recover from the traumatic blood loss, I did. My 3rd pregnancy was an accreta delivery, where the placenta does not detach from the uterine lining. It took over 6 months, two D&C's, one hospitalization, and lots of patience before the placenta was finally gone and I stopped bleeding. My 4th pregnancy was an increta, worse case of accreta, where the placenta grew through into the muscle of the uterus. I suffered through 4 D&C's and over 2 years of bleeding before it was finally assumed the 3 tough pregnancies had likely caused adenomyosis. I had the hysterectomy, but kept my ovaries.
So, I can not relate to your other health problems, but I can relate to your frustration with post-partum bleeding. I know how hard and draining it is to bleed for months and months.
Good luck with your decision.
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:27 PM

yes....upon reading and researching b4 going to the OB again...I thought it may be "retained products of conception", but they did an ultrasound and ruled that out.

My Dr said that with my body a D&C might be a temp fix but she recommended an abalation instead.

I was going to go with that but then I started researching and saw so many stories of it not working. And the company itself said that you could have bloody discharge for months. and I decided I wasn't willing to have all that done. I don't need my uterus. My Dr would like me to keep my ovaries or at least one to see if that helps balance some of the hormone issues.

the hysterectomy is totally my choice. The Dr only mentioned it in passing....that if the ablation didn't work we could consider hysterectomy.

and yes I do know it is major surgery. I did just have ac-section. and my other ailments are a far greater detriment tan the risks of another surgery.

But I would really rather have it out than continue to bleed even for any more months on end.

As to the ovaries....I am still researching that. It is my desire to have them out, nt the Drs. She told me we can set up the pre op and schedule a surgery and that I needed t search my soul about the ovaries. OS of course....I searched the internet.

Soul....internet...same thing. Right?

That is how I found you all.

I see several of you say that the ovaries are important to keep. I have done some searching but must be searching wrong because I am not coming up with much talking about the ovaries roll when you no longer have a uterus....except to produce the wrong hormones (as they are currently doing) and cause complications and even cancer.

I really do want to research both sides though. I really want to be informed to make my choices.

Do any of you have direct knowledge on exactly what the ovaries provide to the rest of the body? or even articles on the subject if you can give me the link.

Thanks ladies!

I want to take care of my little one as best as possible....and a evened out on HRT (or hrt and 1 ovary) mommy sounds beter than a hormonally imbalanced loose cannon.
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM

My left placenta was a microscopic piece they couldn't see in ultrasound, found it in the pathology report after the D&C. Did you ever have this bleeding problem or did it all start right after the birth of your 5 month old?
I have never had ablation, but also heard horrible things about it, so I'm glad your not going that route.
I don't have a link to anything saying why ovaries are important, and don't want to steer you wrong, keep researching though because I know they are important to your future health.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register