Scheduled TAH ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame? ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame?

Unread 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Re: ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame?

I agree about the anti nausea and will be taking some with me. I will be praying with and for you girls that have surgery near mine. I have really been doing research like crazy and every one I speak with says we are going to feel like brand new! I just really cant wait-- Im actually getting excited, and that is weird! But I am worried about how my family is going to survive without me-- LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by startfresh359 View Post
my surgery is also scheduled for may 22nd.I found all the information right here to be very helpful especially the anti nausea medicine. I knew about the stool softeners but not the anti nausea .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 09:57 PM

My surgery is scheduled for May 24th, so my timeline is like yours. This thread has been helpful!

My kids are grown and my dh works 2nd shift, so I don't have to worry about feeding anyone but myself. I don't cook (I can, just don't) so already eat easy-to-prepare kinds of stuff anyways, and will continue to do so.

Right now my biggest concerns are the bowel prep, and if I'm going to be ready to go back to work by 3 weeks post-op. Prior to today, I would've also said I was concerned about who would be taking me to the hospital, staying with me, and all that kind of help, but it is all worked out now.

The most major thing I am considering getting before surgery is a TV for my bedroom. Usually, when I have surgery (twice since August, on other body parts) I have recovered on the sofa-bed in the family room. But I really prefer my bed, plus it is closer to the bathroom. I mentioned it to my dh, and he wasn't opposed, so we'll see.
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:41 PM

It's almost going to be easier for your house to be quiet. You will rest better. I'm a little worried about getting good rest. I hope my group really pitches in and that I will not be tempted to get up and help. That is always my natural instinct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 07:15 AM

While grocery shopping get a meal replacement shake such as slim fast of ensure ... I had little to no appetite the first couple of days after my procedure
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM

I didn't think about meal replacer like ensure but that is an excellent idea that I would like to highlight for any others awaiting this surgery. There are several reasons that this is an excellent idea

1: it will process easily (My mom was on ensure and never had "poop" problems, which is great for us after surgery when constipation is rampant
2: High protein-- which is a muscle builder, and we will be internally repairing lots of muscle tissue-- awesome!
3: Vitamins-- we can use all we can get!
4: Easy to store near our chair in the ice chest, so no prep! Pop open a can and go
5: Calcium. There is usually a high level of calcium in these drinks, and from what I am reading, we are going to be high risk for osteoporosis, so if we can get a jump on this, even better.

I have to say I am not a big shake fan, but if I am not feeling like eating, I know that I would be able to force one of these down, and the strawberry ones are really not that bad. We just need to get fiber too somehow. I think my number one problem will be constipation, since I am already having trouble with that-- so I am going to try to stay with things that will go through easily! I am going to buy a case and put it with my hysterectomy basket of goodies that I am already building-- Thank you so much for that comment Athena320!!
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM

The lack of appetite was the big shocker to me .. and the slimfast was the first thing that came to mind when I went through it. My mind kept saying ..you need nutrition to heal and that was my answer
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM

I also had high fiber/high protein shakes for post-op nutrition (nutrisystem) because I really didn't want to mess with other foods. Along with suggestions above I used the 7 weeks I had pre-op to lose some weight with diet and exercise. My doctor was happy that I put in the effort to get in shape pre-op. And my post-op healing has been going great, due to the time put in pre-op.
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:11 PM

I will get some nutrisystem shakes- they sound great! And I've been walking but I need to start some leg excercises I've been told
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM

This is all great, I found out on Wednesday that I'm having my op on 13th June, so I have 8 weeks to prepare/lose some weight/ go crazy. Hubby, bless him, is taking 2 weeks off to look after me...but then said "oh, and maybe I can paint the ceilings while I'm off work" and I had to break it to him that no, a house full of paint fumes will NOT be what the doctor ordered....
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM

Nope and you may even want peace and quiet! Bless his soul! He sounds like my husband. I'm trying to prepare them-- my oh my!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register