Scheduled TAH ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame? ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame?

Unread 04-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Re: ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame?

I'm quite lucky that all my juniors are pretty senior, one has left home and the other will probably be away house sitting, so only hubby and I, and also we did renovations last year so I now have a dishwasher, and all mod cons in the laundry....pretty sure a higher power knew this was coming and has already been preparing things for me Even down to the fact I had a couple of days off already scheduled so that I have been able to get my head around the fact this is happening, take a deep breath and say "go with it" rather than trying to keep my mind on work. (I'm a bank teller, so ya kinda have to concentrate...)
I do like the idea of a tv in the bedroom though...either that or an ipad so I can play online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM

My surgery is also around the same time May 30th. My hubby is a stay at home dad and cooks/takes care of the house already, so I am blessed there.

However, your ideas on the Zofran, heating pad at the hospital, chapstick, lotion, and briefs 1 size bigger were great...I have started a list and will start preparing soon.

The doctor already has me on a weight loss plan, but exercise has been minimal due to pain & bleeding. However, I think I will try to start walking a mile or more a day for the next few weeks to get my body as healthy as possible ahead of time.

Praying we all have good surgeries and great recoveries!
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:25 AM

This is also a good time to make sure you have an up-to-date advance health care directive, power of attorney for your hubby to be able to make medical decisions for you in the event you are incapacitated and unable to make decisions yourself.

If you work, plan to be off work for 6 weeks post surgery, and check with your work place for their procedures for getting approval under the Family and Medical Leave Act. They may have a form that your doctor will need to fill out. This protects your right to your job.

Make sure that you have all the insurance pre-approvals in place before you go to the hospital.

If you have family or friends who want to visit you post-surgery, suggestions for them are to keep visits very short, and to bring a meal that can be popped into the oven to heat up. My hubby was wonderful post-surgery, doing all the shopping, cooking, etc. But several friends from my work place brought me a care package of home-made frozen meals after I got home, and then some more the following week. You wouldn't believe how wonderful it was to be able to just heat something up. And it made me feel great that so many people were showing that they cared for me.

Plan now not to expect anything of yourself for the first two weeks post-op. Your mind will probably be mush, and you will be tired most of the time. Give yourself permission to be totally "lazy" as all of your energy will be needed for the healing process. All I expected of myself the first two weeks was to get up, get dressed (sweats or fresh pj's), get breakfast, take care of my own bathroom needs, and feed my fish. Most days I slept until 10 or 11 AM. Then I took a long nap in the afternoon. Be forewarned that you may have brief periods of energy, but that when your energy runs out, it will do it all of a sudden, and you may collapse in total exhaustion and tears because you feel so tired. It gets better after that, but you will still have limited energy. Plan now NOT to do spring cleaning just because you are going bonkers staring at the four walls. That is the sort of thing that sets people back.

I hope all goes really well for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPiper View Post
This is also a good time to make sure you have an
up-to-date advance health care directive, power of attorney for your hubby to be able to make medical decisions for you in the event you are incapacitated and unable to make decisions yourself.

If you work, plan to be off work for 6 weeks post surgery, and check with your work place for their procedures for getting approval under the Family and Medical Leave Act. They may have a form that your doctor will need to fill out. This protects your right to your job.

Make sure that you have all the insurance pre-approvals in place before you go to the hospital.

If you have family or friends who want to visit you post-surgery, suggestions for them are to keep visits very short, and to bring a meal that can be popped into the oven to heat up. My hubby was wonderful post-surgery, doing all the shopping, cooking, etc. But several friends from my work place brought me a care package of home-made frozen meals after I got home, and then some more the following week. You wouldn't believe how wonderful it was to be able to just heat something up. And it made me feel great that so many people were showing that they cared for me.

Plan now not to expect anything of yourself for the first two weeks post-op. Your mind will probably be mush, and you will be tired most of the time. Give yourself permission to be totally "lazy" as all of your energy will be needed for the healing process. All I expected of myself the first two weeks was to get up, get dressed (sweats or fresh pj's), get breakfast, take care of my own bathroom needs, and feed my fish. Most days I slept until 10 or 11 AM. Then I took a long nap in the afternoon. Be forewarned that you may have brief periods of energy, but that when your energy runs out, it will do it all of a sudden, and you may collapse in total exhaustion and tears because you feel so tired. It gets better after that, but you will still have limited energy. Plan now NOT to do spring cleaning just because you are going bonkers staring at the four walls. That is the sort of thing that sets people back.

I hope all goes really well for you!
These are very realistic preparations and I hadn't thought of them. I'm doing my will this week and getting an attorney friend to look over it. 99% chance I won't need it but I will rest better knowing I covered the 1%
I'm trying to get in my head that I need more than 2 weeks. I'm not sure how I can be down 6 weeks but if that's what I need then God will make a way. Thank you ladies for your support. This site is keeping me from losing it! I started my period today, 5 days early and feel awful right now. It is a stark reminder of how bad I need this done and how much better I will be in 3 1/2 weeks!! This probably won't be my last period. I bet I'm right in the middle of the next one when they wheel me into surgery. I guess that's no problem for the procedure, right? Does anyone know if being mid-period affects the surgery process?
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trhinds View Post
I started my period today, 5 days early and feel awful right now. It is a stark reminder of how bad I need this done and how much better I will be in 3 1/2 weeks!! This probably won't be my last period. I bet I'm right in the middle of the next one when they wheel me into surgery. I guess that's no problem for the procedure, right? Does anyone know if being mid-period affects the surgery process?
I am hoping it is not a problem. I am on mine right now, and expect that I will be for surgery, also.
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:18 PM

I don't believe it's a problem, I wondered also about this but I am sure it wouldn't matter, I guess it's not like they are going to reschedule because you have your period, I have seen other ladies on here comment that they were mid period for their procedure.
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipppy View Post
I don't believe it's a problem, I wondered also about this but I am sure it wouldn't matter, I guess it's not like they are going to reschedule because you have your period, I have seen other ladies on here comment that they were mid period for their procedure.
I asked my scheduling nurse at the doctor's office today if they could still do surgery if I started before my procedure...I am having a TAH with ovaries being removed. She said, "Honey, you'll have bleeding with the surgery, so that won't matter a bit."

Not sure if that applies for all surgery types or all doctors...but that is what my doctor said.
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:13 AM

My last period ever started 2 days before my procedure as yes it was going as they put me under for the surgery. All they did was put me in disposable panty and a pad that were gone when I woke up
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:52 PM

I am relieved! I sure dont want to have to postpone because of a period!!
This red devil just isn't going away without a fight I guess lol!!
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Just skimming before I go start supper (now 10.5 weeks post-op) and I can say this: Definitely get the pillow - helps for everything - car rides, sleeping, even just walking. FInd a local dance teacher or go online and get loose fitting dance pants - I have a pair of overalls that were my lifesaver! Granny panties - too large. And the one thing that got me after surgery was the "bug effect" - I couldn't lay on my side, and had such a hard time getting out of bed on my own for about the first week! Had to lay there and wait for my hubby to come help me up, which he did every time (even at 2 AM for a bathroom trip) without complaint. That caused a bladder infection. I did graduate to a smaller pillow - one of the travel pillows that you wear around your neck. But I noticed improvement in my discomfort and pain with each day, so good luck to all. Try to get in good shape-I am a dancer, and I think that helped me a lot with a faster recovery than some.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register