Unhealed vaginal cuff? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unhealed vaginal cuff? Unhealed vaginal cuff?

Unread 01-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Unhealed vaginal cuff?

Has anyone out there had success in healing a stubborn vaginal cuff (11 weeks post-op) using vinegar and water douches? My says they won't help, but I've been back for silver nitrate several times and that hasn't done the trick. He said I may have developed an infection along the way, and gave me antibiotics for a week at week 10. So, things looked better last Monday, but not there yet.

Since he said I COULD use the douches if I want, anyone have advice on how often to use them? I've been doing it every day for the last three days. I'm afraid to use medicated ones, because I think I may have an iodine sensitivity and I don't want to make things worse.

I'd love to avoid repair surgery!! Suggestions, anyone?

Blessings,

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2002, 02:33 PM
Almost Twins!

Hi Laura,
We are in similar boats. Both 11 weeks post op. I was told by the nurse to try the douching with vinegar and water once a week and to BE CAREFUL when inserting it to not go to far. I found out that the area that has granulation is right above the G-spot just inside the entrance towards the belly. It's almost the consistency of a course sandpaper but not rough. I have used the vinegar and water in the shower after I've soaped up and rinsed to reduce the incidence of infection. Intially after the first time I did it again five days later and then again about 7 days later. Just make sure you try to schedule the douching so that it's not three days before a dr's appointment in case there is a need for a follow up culture to check for infection. He told me the siver nitrate works right away. When I went back last week after trying the douching, the dr. said it LOOKED BETTER but I still had granulation in two places which he touched up with silver nitrate. He said he hoped to get it cleared up by Valentine's day and I'm probably just a slow healer. I'm also still not allowed to have intercourse till it's healed to prevent bleeding and it's pretty frustrating. I am also taking a multi-vitamin in hopes of that helping. I'm going every 2 weeks for the silver nitrate as he said once a week may be to much. I have already noticed a slight decrease in discharge and personally think the douching has helped a bit. I know someone mentioned they did it everyday and you may want to look over some posts in this section. I would think that depends on your preference and that of your dr. I don't know how common infection would be if you did it more often than not. By the way I don't like the medicated ones with bentadine. The few times I tried that in the past, I ended up with an infection. Maybe the vinegar is better Ph. balanced. Good luck and let me know how you are doing.
Unread 01-11-2002, 06:52 AM
Unhealed vaginal cuff?

Hi CM3,

Wow, we do have some similarities! One exception is that my dr acts like not being healed by this time is SOOOO unusual. I have a difficult time believing that based on the posts here!!! He has been using silver nitrate every time he sees me (about six times now) and I think I may question that on Monday. Maybe I'd do better if he leaves it alone!!!

BTW, what color is your discharge? Mine has been mostly pink, but I do get some bright red spotting for no apparent reason. Funny, though, I've read many posts from women who spot after intercourse or exertion for months. Do you suppose that's because their drs clear them before they’re 100 percent healed? Why would someone bleed if there's no granulation left? (These questions are for anyone who wants to answer them!!)

Please let me know how you're doing too!!

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 04:57 AM
Unhealed vaginal cuff?

Hi Laura,
Just checking in to see if you had any updates. Please let me know either here or private message how you are doing since the dr visit. I have my appt on Thursday and if needed will be my 4th silver nitrate treatment and I'll let you know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register