Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat? Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat?

Unread 04-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat?

I had a 10oz bottle of mag citrate. I started it at 4pm each time (I had two sets of marching orders as well). My surgeon said the longer you wait to start, the longer it'll keep you up at night. Hahaha! I did the 7up thing and it worked well. I drank a glass of water inbetween. You get so full on the liquid that honestly, you're really not too hungry. I had some chicken broth for "dinner" and then just kept drinking water. Once the water got boring, I'd put in a packet of single serve Propel and voila! Instant clear raspberry lemonade!

I kept busy by getting all my stuff together for the hospial stay and playing with my kids. Luckily, I stayed home so I was near a bathroom the whole time. Key thing to remember...don't eat anything spicy 48 hours ahead of time...what goes in, must come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Re: Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat?

I recall not being allowed to have anything red. I ate jello and drank broth when I felt the hunger pains begin to try to keep them at bay. I also drank gatorade but dilluted it with water because the sugar amount makes me naseated. My husband ate Burger King since I told him I was not cooking dinner and I wanted to smack him sooo bad! After the bowel prep kicked in food was no matter a thought in my head as I was best friends with the toilet for a very long time. And this may seem gross but after bowel prep if you think you have to just pass gas you will be wrong, believe me!
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:01 PM

They didn't restrict me on colors, and I have to take 4 Dulcolax at 9 AM on my liquid-diet day. No Magnesium Citrate. This will go down easier; wondering how it will work out later!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2012, 07:41 AM

wow gals!! thanks so much!! Tigerlilies, I WOULD smack him!! lol!

SO, I found a suggested diet on Mayo Clinic, and it allows for tea or coffee, swetened with honey, and no dairy. so, if I feel the headache, guess who has her Keurig!?! lol!

so, I am seeing from your comments, that I should not get too hungry, just keep pushing fluids, awesome!!

Oh, and she did not say anything about red, but I am steering clear just in case!
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:50 AM

sprite, jello, and I drained the noodles out of chicken noodle soup and just drank the juice. I was so starved after surgery. was like 48 hours with no food. Good luck with surgery!!
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Hi
I was told to use moist baby wipes which apparently will save you from the vaseline. But as I haven't used them yet I am not sure it will work or not. Also I was told I could eat (drink) anything that was liquid, such as bland soup (no bits) etc.

Good luck -
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:25 PM

A friend of mine whose expertise is in the nutrition field advised me to emphasize protein this evening in my food choices, as tomorrow is bowel-cleanout day. So for "dinner" I had a tall glass of milk and an egg sandwich with cheese. Maybe ice cream in a little while.

For tomorrow, I've got a container of homemade chicken broth defrosting and I've made 3 different flavors of Jello. I also have Italian ice in the freezer.
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Lattenut, thanks for the info!! perhaps I will try a small portion of light grilled fish and veggies? I think I will try that next saturday night before the clean out. not too heavy, but packed with protein and vitamins!

Thanks so much everyone!!
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicathelton View Post
Lattenut, thanks for the info!! perhaps I will try a small portion of light grilled fish and veggies? I think I will try that next saturday night before the clean out. not too heavy, but packed with protein and vitamins!

Thanks so much everyone!!
One week before my surgery I ate all low carb/ virtually no sugar/ high protein. I realized eating this way thst I (digestively) never felt better in my life!
Day before bowel cleanse my doctor told me to eat a soft liquid diet. I could have dairy products plus, very well cooked meats, eggs, and everything on the liquid diet menu. Day of the clean-out just a liquid diet.
I think this made a huge difference in both my bowel cleanse experience( there wasnt much but liquid to expel) and in recovery and functioning of my digestive system post-op. Part of this is my evil, warped, and diseased lady parts have been taken out so nothing is crowding out my intestines.( my uterus was all the way up in my ribs!) Another part is I have been taking probiotics everyday, and have not had even one bite of bad-for-me white flour, or sugar. I have been eating lean protein, tons and tons of veggies, and one piece of fruit a day. My tummy feels fantastic, even though I have been on antibiotics for three weeks.
Believe it or not, I still like broth. I find that when I have a craving for something...you know the kind, not hungry, but just bored-by-mouth...I can have a cup of homeade broth and that takes care of it.
Unread 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM

I lived on broth, jello and pop cycles. The broth was nice because it was warm.. the pop cycles were nice because they lasted a long time.
I remember being hungry and eating 6 jellos for lunch... LOL...
Really the food held me pretty good for most of the day and night.
I think it was also a mind set. "I HAVE TO DO THIS!" was my chant for the day...
I was not able to have anything that had any kind of "Bits" in it... so square dried broth was what i used.
Good Luck..
:hugs5:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register