New...scheduled for LSH on April 25..stepson's wedding 10 days post-op...questions! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New...scheduled for LSH on April 25..stepson's wedding 10 days  post-op...questions! New...scheduled for LSH on April 25..stepson's wedding 10 days post-op...questions!

Unread 04-14-2012, 06:37 PM
New...scheduled for LSH on April 25..stepson's wedding 10 days post-op...questions!

Well I'm scheduled for my LSH in a week and a half. My pre-op appointment is the 18th. My stepson is getting married May 5. When I asked about my recovery for the wedding he said just no "crazy boogying!" Am I really going to be feeling that good 10 days after?

What can you tell me about clothing and bleeding? I already have my dress fr the wedding obviously so I'm concerned when I read about "smelly belly". I hope my dress fits! And will I be dealing with a lot of bleeding that day? It's bad enough my MIL, my husband's ex-wife and my ex-husband will all be at this wedding...don't need any other issues!

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Re: New...scheduled for LSH on April 25..stepson's wedding 10 days post-op...questio

Personally I'd reschedule the surgery. I hate go be the bearer of bad news, but I am 10 days post op today and there is now way I could have gone anywhere today. The wedding is such an important event, you don't want it to be spoiled. Some of us recover quicker than others, but you have absolutely no way of knowing how you will be or if you will have complications.Read through a few threads of post op recovery. Read about 40 of them from ladies that post at the end of week 1. This will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about. SWELLY BELLY, no, your dress is going to irritate you even if it fits. My largest pajamas still irritate me and barely fit. You won't have the energy to stand for very long, and sitting in a chair will be painful after a while.I am 10 days post of, from daVinci which is supposed to be faster recovery. I still am out of commission for the most part. can barely take care of my own basic needs and have zero energy.
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Re: New...scheduled for LSH on April 25..stepson's wedding 10 days post-op...questio

Yes, please reschedule your surgery. You will not be ready in 10 days. My recovery was 4 weeks before I felt good enough for something as important as that. Just reschedule you will be very happy you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2012, 08:44 PM

There is no way I could have done an event like that 10 days post op. I went to a very informal wedding about 4 weeks post op and had a terrible time of it. You may or may not be spotting, we are all different in regards to this. Your clothes may be too tight but I pretty much guarantee they will be uncomfortable and bothering you. My tummy was so swollen and sore i couldnt handle anything touching it, including clothing. You won't feel up to standing or sitting for long. And you may still be taking narcotic pain meds at that time (I was) and that will affect your memories of the day.
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Some ladies get sent home with catheters and have to keep them in over a week. This is rare, but, you don't want to risk that either!
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:38 PM

I can't reschedule...lots of reasons. I'll either have to deal with it or skip it. Just wanted some ideas do what to expect. I've had three c-sections and was back to work within four weeks each time.
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:45 PM

I'm now over 7 weeks post-op from total hysterectomy w/bladder repair. I did a scheduled 3 day-event 10 days post-op, and I should not have. I was miserable the entire time of the event, and I was in bed the entire next week recovering from it. I would insist that you push your surgery back two weeks, and go and enjoy your family event beforehand. The swelly belly is an actual issue, I haven't been able to get back into any pant that don't have elastic in the waist.
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:03 PM

Butterfly, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you can't re-schedule your surgery, then I think you should respectfully decline the invitation. Everyone should understand, and if they don't, it's their problem. Even with a really good recovery with no major complications, you will not be ready for an event like that. At 10 day's post-op I had not gone anywhere. I am now 8 weeks post-op and I still get really tired when I do too much. Even though I have lost 10 lbs since surgery, my clothes still irritate my belly by the end of the day. Good luck with this decision. This is a difficult enough time for you without this added concern.

Unread 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Hello Butterfly,

Today I am 12 days post op from an LSH and I still am having difficulties sitting upright for any period of time. 3 days ago I went and watched my husband play an indoor soccer game which was only at most on hour long. I had bleachers to sit on and was able to "recline" some for a while when that got uncomfortable I sat up "folding" myself forward over the little pillow I use in the car, then when that got uncomfortable since there was plenty of room, I layed on my side for a bit. Then I paid for it the next day with more soreness. Also because of the added water intake I am using the bathroom around once an hour. I suggest recalling how you felt after your c-sections that might give you an idea of how you could feel. My older sister told me her c-sections were worse than her hyst. I have no comparison.

Since you can't reschedule your surgery, I agree with the other ladies that you should probably send your regrets to the wedding. Specially since your ex would be there I think it could be difficult both emotionally and physically.

I am sorry you have to make this decision. I wish you well.
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM

I had a different experience. I had a TVH and went to a family wedding 2 wks post op. I did skip the reception but probably could have gone and sat for a while. I had no bleeding or swelly belly and clothes didn't bother me, nor did sitting. I did get pretty tired. Apparently I'm in the minority here compared to the other posters. I just took Aleve and had somebody drive me, but it all went well and I was glad I went. Maybe you could keep it open ended as to whether you go, and decide when it gets closer to the day. And you might consider going to just the wedding, or leaving the reception early. Everyone has a different recovery and there's no way to predict whether you'll be up to it until you get there, but it could be disappointing to decline only to find you feel just fine after all----or vice versa. Keep your options open and hope for the best but be prepared just in case. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register