Almost had an emergency hyst... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost had an emergency hyst... Almost had an emergency hyst...

Unread 01-10-2002, 12:03 PM
Almost had an emergency hyst...

What a week... I'm scheduled for Jan. 22 - and started bleeding again over this past weekend. It got REALLY bad - near hemorraghing (filling a pad every 1.5 hours - and clots 2 and 3 inches constantly - did this for 2.5 days)... I was down with doctor's orders to come to the emergency room in 5 hours, if things didn't slow down. Doctor has me on 5 birth control pills a day and it's finally slowed down. I have almost two weeks to go - and I feel like I'm going into this feeling weak and awful - the surgery will "knock" me down even further. Very frustrating when I want to spend the next week+ getting ready for the down time...

I hate taking so many bc pills each day - anyone else go through this?? I feel bloated, seem to feel hot occasionally, jittery, sometimes sick to my stomach - no fun!

A few friends visited today - and I felt like an alcoholic being "confronted" by their family. I WILL stay down, I WILL let meals be brought in, I WILL have my two pre-schoolers play elsewhere occasionally. I'm well cared for (but I've decided it's a LOT easier to give than to receive).

ONE MORE QUESTION: Some of my fibroids are penduculated (on the outside of my uterine wall - hanging by threads)...my research says they can twist and cause pain. I've had two bouts of excruciating pain (30 minutes and 40 minutes - last Sunday and Friday)... Anyone else have this experience?

This is all no fun!!! But I appreciate others are going through similar experiences... Thanks!

eight*is*great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2002, 02:03 PM
So Sorry Sweety!

Gee you have been going through it haven't you? Well you know that in 2 weeks this will all be gone. I think your surgery will give you a lift instead of down. You will have to rest a lot and no lifting, bending, sweeping, nothing but lots of water and juice and small paths inside the house. Of course I am sure you know all that just wanted to remind you. Let all those friends and family pamper you believe me you can get use to it really easy. I still want to be pampered every now and then. My DH usually does the pampering. God Bless. Keep us informed how you are doing. are going up. Sorry I couldn't be of any help in the information department.
Unread 01-10-2002, 02:26 PM

I'm wondering why you didn't just get the hysterectomy done and over with when it was so bad. I'd have gone for it. Just think you wouldn't even have had time to worry about anything, and all the stuff that needs doing....is just going to be undone by the kids and husband while you're laid up anyhow, so save the big cleaning for this spring when you feel good again and let others do it now. I'm getting excited, I think the period that I started today should be the last for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2002, 02:45 PM
BC pills

Hello, yes, I too had to take multiple b.c. pills trying to slow down the hemorraging, although I was only on 2. Mine were stong dose pills though, those from 20 + years ago. 1/50 It didn't help. A D&C last year this time slowed it down for 2 months and it started all over again...now I'm due for a total hysterectomy on 1/21.

I don't have growths outside the uterus (that I know of), but have read the same thing in my research. If I'm not mistaken once the pain begins with those it doesn't stop until surgery is done, but I'm not sure.

You are in my . Keep the faith and remember, in a little over a week's time there will be no more bleeding (for either of us)!

Barbara
Unread 01-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the uplift...

It helps justs to have someone knowing and understanding a bit of what I'm going through! Thanks!

In response to one of the hystersisters messages - I didn't go ahead and have the surgery (emergency), because I have 10 people's schedules to consider - not just my own (eight busy and wonderful children, ages 2-18). I was anxious to have it done earlier, but once the date was set, I have scheduled and planned and prepared for that date. Going in on the spur of the moment would definitely have put this household in an uproar...yes, they would have survived, I just hope to have things go smoothly while I'm away...(smiling)...we'll see...

eight*is*great
Unread 01-10-2002, 03:35 PM

Boy are you lucky!!! My Husband and I wanted to have alot of children like you but we were blessed with only two. I just wanted to tell you I had severe bleeding and clotting last February but because I was already having Lung Surgery (collapsed lung and complications of pneumonia) and I was so severly anemic I was forced to wait until May for the Hyster. My Dr gave me Lupron and luckily I had no side affects and it did control the bleeding. I also had a D and C at the same time as my Lung Surgery. The waiting was the worst but wait till you see how great you are going to feel when everything is done. I feel better than I have in years. Today I went for my dental checkup and my Dentist even commented on how pink and healthy my gums now look compared to when I was so anemic due to the bleeding. The time you are waiting will pass quickly and soon you will be chasing those toddlers around! Good luck to you!
Unread 01-10-2002, 03:43 PM
Penduculated Fibroid

Yes,

I had a large pendululated fibroid (the fibroid grows on a stalk) that blocked the birth canal while I was pregnant. It did cause serious pain occasionally (but luckily it moved out of the way in time for my daughter's birth). Later my fibroids grew much larger and "degenerated" (outgrew the blood supply) - that is incredibly painful. Some also calcified.

Eventually the fibroids were pressing on other organs, especially the ureter. They don't often affect the ureter, but when they do, permanant kidney damage can occur. At that point I had a hysterectomy (2 years ago). I kept the ovaries ( I was 42). I have not had any problems.

I wish you the best on Jan 22!
Unread 01-10-2002, 06:21 PM

I didn't mean to insult you if that's the way you took it. I just was trying to say that we as mom's put alot of pressure on ourselves and things do happen and we can't control everything. Your health is more important than schedules and cleaning. I watched my Mom bleed to death last year in the hospital. They couldn't get blood back into her quick enough. It started quick and within a week her whole body shut down. She'd had a kidney transplant and got 'post transplant lymphoma' a rare disease that happens to 1% of transplant patients. I'm still lost without my mom, and wish I could have done something to save her. I still dream about the 'what if's'. It's not the same as what you are going through, but take care of yourself, we always need our Mom, even at 32 I need mine, if only.......
Unread 01-10-2002, 07:01 PM

I had a TAH in Sept. I had bled for 7 weeks stopped for one and then bleed up to the day of surgery. I couldn't even bend over with out filling like I was goimg to pass out had shortness of breath and serious brain fog even walked into walls. I took iron tablets for a month before I could even have surgery. I felt better two weeks after the surgery than I did the entire summer and had more energy 2 weeks after surgery. The surgery was well worh it.
Unread 01-11-2002, 06:50 AM

Thanks again for helping me feel "NOT ALONE" - wow!

You feel that way when going through this.

It's hard to stay down and keep the bleeding under control...I needed to hear your story LisaJean, thanks for sharing (bless you)...

Eleven days and counting...

eight*is*great

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register