Catheter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Catheter

I'm scheduled for a da vinci hysterectomy on the 25th. My one big worry is the catheter. What are the odds that they can remover it during the surgery and then I won't have to worry about it? If they can't, how horrible is it? Does it take away all urges to urinate? I just don't know what to expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Re: Catheter

I had a DaVinci TAHBSO last summer. First time I'd ever had a catheter. It wasn't that bad. Slight feeling like I had to go while it was in, but nothing more. They took it out the following morning before I was discharged.
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM

My doctor had mine taken out while I was still under. When I woke up, it was already out. I guess it's the doc's preference, but if the thought of it bothers you, as your doc to have it removed before you wake up I really didn't have any problems without one - of course it took me a couple hours to be able to pee on my own but as soon as the nurse said to me: if you don't pee by 7pm, we'll have to put one back in.... then it was pretty much over, it was 5pm and at 5:15pm I was peeing, lol! What's that saying about having the pee scared outta ya? Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM

I had one until the morning after surgery... It wasn't that bad, they put it in while you are asleep... when they take it out it burns a little but not bad and as soon as it is out the burn is gone. I was so sleepy from the drugs I was glad I had one and could rest and not worry about getting up to go to the bathroom.
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the responses. I was going to ask to have it taken out while I was under. Knowing that it is possible is nice to know.
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Kept mine in till next morning. It didn't bother me at all. It was actually nice to not have to get out of bed every hour to walk to the bathroom, as I had a horrible time getting pain under control.They didn't let me out of bed till 3AM and surgery was over by 10 AM morning before.
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:26 PM

Ive had catheters several times. Yes, they typically insert it while you are asleep in the operating room. Im surprised to hear of the docs who have had it removed before you are awake- but nothing wrong with that. One thing you'll want to consider is how much iv fluid they will be giving during the surgery. Yes, the catheter can tug a little post op if not attached to a strap on your leg (or taped there)... But if you have pee soon after surgery & they cant let you up yet you will have to use a bedpan. To me using a bedpan right after surgery is worse than the catheter.
Yes, having it taken out can feel a little funny, but doesnt hurt. (It only stays in your bladder bc they fill a little balloon with sterile water. When its time to remove the catheter they withdraw the water -thru the catheter, & then the nurse will likely ask you to take a deep breath- & slip, its out- the deep breath is to help relax your muscles.)
I hope this helps alleviate any fears. If you have any other questions- feel free to post.
Best wishes for a smooth surgery & recovery!
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:09 PM

I was just thinking about this the other day. I know I had the catheter overnight but I can barely remember them removing it. I know they did the next morn but I have no real memories of it. I was in a lot of bladder pain from a reconstruction and having the Cath in hurt... once removed I know I felt better.. that is about what i remember... My bladder feeling better instantly..
I was very out of it my first night so for me having a cath in helped me rest and heal..
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:21 PM

The catheter is really nothing to worry about. It is put in after you're asleep. Mine was also taken out the next morning, which was good because I was too drugged and in too much pain to be able to walk to the bathroom. It doesn't feel great when they take it out but that takes literally 2 seconds. I was worried the first pee would burn but it didn't.
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:40 AM

I had my catheter put in while I was in surgery. They took it out the next day and I don't remember feeling anything.

I wasn't able to pee once they took it out, so they had to put it back in for several hours. I don't remember feeling anything when they put it back in while I was awake, either.

I was actually happy that I had the catheter in both times because I didn't have to get up to use the bathroom when I wasn't feeling well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register