When hematomas go really, really wrong 13 days post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When hematomas go really, really wrong 13 days post-op When hematomas go really, really wrong 13 days post-op

Unread 04-15-2012, 10:27 PM
When hematomas go really, really wrong 13 days post-op

Hi Ladies

I might just as well be back to day 1.

It is a long story, there are some really gross details and children are briefly mentioned.

If you want the short story, I had a TVH on 3/30, was diagnosed with a hematoma behind the stitches on 4/2. Very early in the morning of 4/12, I started hemorrhaging. After being transfused, my doctor opened me up, couldn't find the source, and packed me. I went home the evening of 4/13, and I am trying to recover all over again.

Here is the more detailed version:

Last Wednesday (4/11) I had some minor bleeding around 7pm. My gyn had that that around 2 weeks that might happen as the hematoma would either absorb or come out. So I rested and had dinner with a few girlfriends. Around 8 I got really crampy, passed a clot, and it picked up a bit. Still it wasn't horrible. At 11 I passed a big clot and the bleeding really started.

I called my gyn, we talked, decided it was the hematoma. She said I could either go to the hospital or stay home and come in to see her at 8am. I didn't want to go to the hospital b/c I'd been there the week before (3 days post surgery) for 11 hours to diagnose the darned hematoma. Dr O said I could stay home, but if the bleeding was more than 1 pad every 2 hours I needed to call her.

Here is where I got stupid. I kept passing clots and the bleeding didn't slow down. I kept thinking it would stop, that it was just the hematoma resolving itself. But by 2:30am it was really, really bad. I couldn't get though an hour without changing a pad and I was spending most of my time in the bathroom passing clots. So at 2:30, I called the doc and went to the hospital. I wrote a note to the kids not to worry, woke my dh up, (I didn't tell my dh how bad it was) and told him to stay home with the kids. I drove myself to the hospital, and was fine until I got out of the jeep. I couldn't walk more than 10 feet haltingly, that is how bad the bleeding was. Thankfully a clerk saw me and sent out a security guard with a wheelchair.

I was in a room faster than Ithought possible. A nurse helped me change, hooked me up to the monitors, and took some blood. I told her I felt like something was very wrong and I was going to pass out. She thought I was afraid of the blood work. I told her no, and that was pretty much the last thing I remember for a while.

The next thing I knew, there were about a dozen people in the room, yelling out orders, calling for blood, talking about my heart rate. All I remember is fighting to be awake, repeating my kids names so I wouldn't fall asleep, hearing someone telling someone else to get the chaplain (which woke me up enough to grab an arm and tell that arm that I DID NOT need a chaplain...talk about jinxing someone).

At 4:00am, I was stabilized enough to be awake and talk. They explained that I bled out, that my blood pressure dropped to 60/45, and my heart rate was 33. My gyn & my dh were on their way. I was told the gyn needed to do surgery right away to stop the bleeding. I was still bleeding like mad and passing clots. Seriously large clots (TMI) but the last one I passed before they knocked me out was "softball" sized. The girl had to pick it up with 2 hands (bless her).

When my GYN got there, she explained that I was bleeding very heavily and they couldn't find the cause. In 20 years of practicing medicine, she'd never seen this happen almost 2 weeks after surgery. She said that they're used an u/s when I was "out" and all they could see was lots of blood coming out from behind the stitches. She said that she'd go through the vagina (where they did my hysterectomy) and would possibly have to go through laproscopically through the abdomen or even open my abdomen. I told her to do whatever she had to do to stop the bleeding. She also said I'd definitely need more blood. At that point the only thing I cared about was living.

They did surgery, basically re-opening me up. They couldn't find the source of the bleeding, tried to cause more bleeding to see where it was coming from (she said it was just a trickle)they transfused me, and after 2 hours they closed me up.

Waking up was horrible. I've never felt so much pain in my life. The doc explained that they couldn't find where the bleeding was coming from so they decided to close me up, put in some packing, give me more blood and let me rest. She said they'd watch me though the day, and at 4pm do an u/s to see if there was more bleeding. My doc felt their would be and she would have to go back in. But when they looked at 4pm, there was no new bleeding.

The next morning they took out the packing and the catheter,and there was no new bleeding. My iron levels were low, but holding. So they let me go home. I've been home since Friday night. I am so tired. Everything hurts. I have no energy. I cannot believe that I am back to step one. Actually worse than step one b/c the restrictions are longer 6-8 weeks and I feel way worse than I did when I had the hysterectomy.

I have to admit, I am so upset. I was just starting to feel better, and here I am again. I cannot believe my body did this to me. The hysterectomy was supposed to totally stop the bleeding. I thought I was on track to a life without heavy bleeding after 31 years of this insanity. Why do I always have to be the medical freak? The one who has the "extremely rare" side effect from illnesses, procedures, and medicines? It just plain sucks.

Thankfully, there is also a little voice that tells me to stop whining. I am alive. It might take longer but I will get through this and come out stronger. I really hope that little voice gets louder b/c I am tired of crying and feeling like crud. I've cried more these past 2 weeks than I have in 2 years. I don't even miss my uterus. If I could see it now, I kick the **** thing for every bit of trouble it has put me though.

OK, I am sorry this is so long. But I wanted to put something here on Hyster Sisters. It is an extraordinarily rare thing to happen. I can't even figure out what the statistics would be on this. But if it happens to someone else and she goes looking, I want her to know she is not alone. KWIM?

Be well, be healthy,
Martie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Re: When hematomas go really, really wrong 13 days post-op

What a dreadful experience you have had. It puts my surgery into perspective - I still feel annoyed that my LAVH ended up TAH because they had issues with bleeding during my surgery, so they opened me up to find it and stop it. I guess I could have been in your situation if they had not.
Take it really easy, and I wish you a good recovery from now on.
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:15 AM

I am so sorry you have been through so much. I pray that your recovery from this point will be very uneventful and get easier. I don't blame you for crying so much that is a lot for you to handle. You have been through a very traumatic event have you thought about maybe seeing a counselor just to talk? I know from experience sometimes it just helps to talk to someone other then friends and family to get things out. Prayers and Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2012, 05:40 AM

WOW, that is one incredible story. I am grateful that you shared it and I'm sure it will impact a lot of people.
I hope you feel better soon...Laura
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:36 AM

What a terrible experience! Please don't do anything at all. Just lie in bed and rest. I hope your children are old enough to help you a bit and your healing goes well. ((hugs))
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:39 AM

Dearest Martiej23,

Your story made me cry. The part where you kept repeating your childrens names in order to stay awake. God bless you my sister. Dealing with recovery of a hysterectomy alone is hard enough without any complications let alone one like that.

Although your road may be lengthened now from this, you are truely blessed to have made it through. I wish you only a speedy recovery from this point on. May God hold you in his hands the rest of the way. Please keep us all updated.. ((Hugs))
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:49 AM

Oh my God, I've got the shivers just reading this! Thank goodness you didn't wait any longer to go to the hospital - it took a lot of courage to drive yourself there and to get through it. I know it's easy to say but the universe really owes you one right now! You're obviously a very brave person - all you need now is a little luck and some good care from your loved ones - I wish you both!
ChristinaXX
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Oh my gosh, how scary! I totally understand how frustrated you must be. Of course you are going to be upset, just let yourself feel whatever it is you need to feel. And let yourself rest, rest, rest!
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:15 AM

You are truly a brave and wonderful woman. You made me realize my recovery could be much worse and I wish you the best of luck. Keep your head up and take it easy.
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:09 PM

Wow! I am so sorry you're going through this. I hope it's smooth sailing from here on out for you. Your story made me cry and at the same time realize how blessed I am in my recovery. You'll be in my prayers. Please rest and take care of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register