Experiencing sharp pains on left side and sleeping difficulties | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Experiencing sharp pains on left side and sleeping difficulties Experiencing sharp pains on left side and sleeping difficulties

Unread 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Experiencing sharp pains on left side and sleeping difficulties

It's been 2 weeks since my abnominal hysterectomy. I've had a few good days where I was able to leave the house for a very short time, once was to go visit a friend who had her hysterectomy 5 days before me. In a very weird sort of a way it's great to have someone who I know and trust going through the exact same stuff as me. We're calling or texting each other daily to compare progress and difficulties. What we are both finding is that we are experiencing pain on the left side of our bodies, in the area of where our left ovary is and on the left side of our horisontal incision. My friend had both her ovaries removed where as I conserved both. Also, neither of us are able to sleep well, the pain in our backs and hips wake us both up during the night. Throughout the day I experience sharp pains that travel from the left side of my incision all the way down to my pubic bone and sometimes even lower than that. My pubic area is still quite swollen and tender. Has anyone else experienced any of these pains/discomforts and difficulties sleeping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Re: Experiencing sharp pains on left side and sleeping difficulties

I am 21 days post-op. TAH as well. I do have that occasional sharp/cramp like pain at the left of my incision. My doctor said these little pangs are normal...all part of new tissue creation and the healing of the incision. Yours might also be from repositioning of your ovaries. I have good nights and bad nights of sleeping...I sleep MUCH better when I am alone in the bed! (My husband is a fireman and gone every other night!)

My doctor told me to stick with the pain meds. Do NOT try to be a hero with that. I tried to "wean off" last week, but it started to hurt a lot. I called, and they told me to march right back to the pharmacy and get more oxycodone. They said it's okay to stay on a low dose for six weeks....I am now taking 1 tablet every 5-6 hours and it DOES feel a lot better and I am able to function without constantly being reminded of that twang of pain.

I am back at work today---just 3 weeks post-op. It'll get better. Hang in there. I have been doing a TON of positive thinking. I think it helps. Yes, this is a big deal and I need to listen to my body--but I refuse to be a slave to it. I am going to recover and the more I can think about other things, the less I dwell on my surgery, incision, etc. It works!! Go for a walk. Look at the trees, the sky, etc. and remind yourself how great life is. I am not usually that corny of a person--but it was advice given to me, I did it, and it really did help. Then go back inside, put your feet up and watch a movie!

Good luck! This will pass!
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Re: Experiencing sharp pains on left side and sleeping difficulties

I had similar pains and my doctor explained that the icision that is in the abdominal wall is wider than the skin incision, so this pain was from where the fascia under the skin was sutured together. I still have some minor pain there, especially if I exercise too much or walk up and down too many stairs and for me the pain was worst at week 2-3 post-op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register