Getting staples out/swollen belly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting staples out/swollen belly? Getting staples out/swollen belly?

Unread 04-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Getting staples out/swollen belly?

On Tues April 17, i will be getting my staples out. Question: will getting them taken out hurt?? What does this entail? Also.....i am hoping to get the cath out also. Will this hurt? And what does this entail? What could happen afterwards with both?

I think i have what we all call....a swelly belly....feels swollen and uncomfortable......only tummy pillow seems to help......know more tomorrow whether there is a problem......or just part of recovery....

Had a bit of problem today....been bit uncomfortable today...felt bloated, discomfort.....took a gas-x...helped...a bit later....felt like i had to do BM's.......which i did....and WOW...it was a bit painful.......I have been drinking plenty of water....eating foods that have fiber....i also made the decision to drink some Miralax......is there anything else I should do to make it easier to go?

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Re: Getting staples out/swollen belly?

When I had my staples removed the doc just had me lay down on the table and before I knew it the staples were out! I didn't feel a thing. My cath was taken out the day after surgery but it was not uncomfortable. I kept a pillow on my belly for at least four weeks anytime I was sitting down, laying down, etc. Continue to rest, walk, drink your water and eating well. Make sure you address any questions/concerns with your doc when you go in tomorrow. Hope your appt. goes well!
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM

My staples didn't hurt coming out either. Incision was still numb so I didn't have any feeling there anyway. I too lived with my pillow up until about the 6th week. At 9 weeks I still have swelly belly (& it's driving me nuts, lol). I do see improvement each week and am so ready to done with it. I only needed the gas x for the 1st week. My cath was taken out before I left the castle, so I've no experience with that, except it didn't hurt when they did remove it. Rest & lots of water helped me get through the rough time in the beginning. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2012, 08:45 PM

My staples came out day 4, the morning I left the hospital and my tummy was huge! They use a tool and the only thing I felt was the tool touching the incision. I told the doc. I don't know what he did different but I didn't feel anything after that and it was very quick. The catheter coming out felt like an air bubble moved, didn't hurt at all.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:54 PM

Staples did not hurt at all. The catheter was a good thing to finally have out. I would ask for some laxatives maybe to help with the bowel movement. I found that walking easily as much as possible has helped me. I am ten days post operation and have no more bloating or much swelling.
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM

I have been taking Miralax twice a week and it's been working fine, along with water and fruits and veggies. Even with that, I was only going once per week the first couple of weeks. I learned quickly not to force it and try to relax.

I am nearly 4 weeks post-op and I still have a swollen belly and I alternate from numbness/tingling to sharp quick pains in my lower abdomen and swelling in the upper part. It takes time for all the discomfort to subside.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register