Adenomyosis and contraction type pains | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenomyosis and contraction type pains Adenomyosis and contraction type pains

Unread 04-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Adenomyosis and contraction type pains

Hello all my Sisters,

I was wondering if any of you out there have experienced any contraction like pains. I started having these last week, and ended up taking the whole week off !!

They feel like labor pains and last anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. They are just terrible!! My doctor won't give me any meds, but thanks to friends and family I have had a little. I have found that hydrocodone doesn't even touch this pain. I have been holding onto a few oxycotins for something like this. I only had 3 pills, but they seem to be the only thing that can even touch the pain.

Have any of you ladies out there had anything similar to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Re: Adenomyosis and contraction type pains

I haven't officially been diagnosed with adenmeyosis but my dr assumes tht is what I had. I am waiting for my pathology reports to come back. Now that I have had surgery I can tell you I had horrible endometriosis. The last few weeks before surgery were really bad. The pain was intense and nonstop. The only thing that helped was diludad and I took it every 3-4 hours for a week straight before surgery. My gyn was very accommodating and wanted to make me comfortable before she could do surgery. I don't normally take Tylenol for headaches so I knew the pain was bad. After surgery she told me that she completly understood why I was in so much pain because the endo was everywhere. I hope your dr gives you some pain medication. I can't imagine being made to live in that much pain for over a month. I am so sorry.
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:37 AM

Hi Daisy,

How are you feeling? I am very curious as to whether you felt relief instantly or not. I am in pain 24/7 and different types of pain too. I am so upset about doc not giving me meds, but it so close now that going to somebody else will just add to surgery time, so I am going to fire him as soon as I am released to go back to work. Why are some Doctors just so against giving meds. It isn't like it is something long term!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM

My pain has been very similar to what you are describing. My doctor prescribed me lortabs which do ok, I just cant take them and work. I was out most of last week. My doctor is pretty sure I have adenomyosis in conjunction with endometriosis...of course the adeno wont be a definant until he does the surgery.. Im scheduled for May 15th
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Before surgery I had nonstop back pain as well as horrible cramping on my right side that would go from dull to stabbing at any given moment. It was 24/7 and I ended up going to the dr multiple times complaining and begging her for more pain meds before she gave me the diludad. Actually it was when I took 11 Vicodin in 2 days that did it for her.

I actually switched gyns at the last minute. My regular gyn delivered 2 of my kids, but she wanted to go the IUD route and was rude at times. The new dr offered the hysterectomy up front even though I am 29 my husband had a vasectomy so there was no need to have pain like I was. My new dr was able to set the TLH up in 2 weeks but that may be because I live in Denver.

I have some pictures of my insides from the surgery. The endo was all over my uterus. The right ovary was covered with endo so that is was completly black (left one was white) and it was stuck to my uterus. The dr said "no wonder you were in so much pain." i can tell you the pain is completly gone!!!! The only pain I have now is from surgery ecovery. No more back pain, no more side pain!!! I am so grateful for the surgery, and I can't imagine what would have happened it I had gone the IUD route.

What I did was I got a 2nd opinion for a new gyn before I dropped the current one. If your finances allow you could consider going to your regular dr to get a prescription for something stronger or get a second opinion from a different gyn.

Good luck!!!
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Daisy, I am soo glad you are pretty much pain free!! I cannot wait. My daughter told me this morning that she can't wait to have her old mom back, me either. Second opinions are just not an option anymore. I wonder if my regular doctor would help me out. My last appointment with him I had told him of my issues with GYN, he seemed a lot more compassionate for sure. Thanks for that idea, I think I will ask. It sure cant hurt.

Hi Heidi, My date is may 21st, and I can't wait. I am counting the days, are you? I have many symptoms, but the ones that cause pain are of course the worst, they include abdominal cramping, bachache, enlarged uterus and sciatic nerve pain. These are 24/7. The contraction type pains aren't all the time thank god, but i have had them on and off for the last two weeks GRRR!!
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:03 PM

I have contraction type pains too. In fact, sometimes they actually hurt worse than when I was in labor! When I told my previous male doctor about the pains his response was "So what you are saying is, you have menstrual cramps and you don't like it?" I almost started crying because he made me feel horrible and acted like I was exaggerating. I switched to a female doctor after that and she has been very helpful in managing my pain but making it very clear that it is only a temporary fix and that she would only prescribe them if I have my hysterectomy scheduled. When you talk to your doctor be sure to tell him that the pain is interfering with your daily living and you can even come right out and ask him if he would prescribe you pain killers. Good luck and be very careful taking things you get from friends!
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM

I had Aden and yes, I had those kind of pains. They were horrid. I would have to leave parties or just leave a store before I finished shopping.
I had them for 6 months prior and every week they got worse. I had no idea how much pain I was really in until after my surgery and the pain was gone. I did not get good meds for the pain until a week before my surgery. Man... I wish I had them sooner. i missed out of so much.
Maybe you can talk with your Doc about the pain and ask him for help...
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:20 PM

I am able to get a sum total of 8 percocet pills a month for my pain (hyster coming in 5 weeks), and each time I feel like an addict wheedling for my fix. Every time I'm in pain, it's a Q&A with myself to see whether it's bad enough to "deserve" one of the "real" pills. (And it's not like the pain goes away when I take a percocet--it gets dulled, but mainly the pills make me not care as much.)

There's been no mention by either my original gyn or the surgeon, but I do suspect I have adeno, or, if not, then more endo than was seen during my lap two years ago. I'm in discomfort all day every day, and then it escalates as my cycle progresses.
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM

I can relate to those labor type pains. I had adenomyosis and endometriosis. I tried the IUD, which made things worst. I got an LSH in 2010 but just recently had my ovaries removed five weeks ago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register