Intimacy after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Intimacy after hysterectomy Intimacy after hysterectomy

Unread 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Intimacy after hysterectomy

I am 30 years old and am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in November. My doctor is encouraging me to have my ovaries removed too because I have a prevalent family history of ovarian cancer. I know this is not a decision to be made lightly so I am doing a lot of research but one thing that I don't find much discussion about is sex drive after the procedure. My husband of 11 years and I enjoy each other often. I am afraid that I may lose interest afterwards due to the change in hormone levels. HRT would not be an option for me because of the cancer risk. Do any of you ladies have any experience or insight regarding this personal issue that you'd be willing to share?

Also, I thought about letting them just take one ovary. After all, that would decrease my risk of cancer by half, right? Does that seem like an overly simplistic theory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Re: Intimacy after hysterectomy

Well I have one ovary left, and my sex drive is still there..Actually I'm counting down to being with my husband..My sex drive actually seems higher,and Im hoping it stays that..I'm going on lupron in a few weeks, so hopefully it stays that way...If you need to talk please send me a message! I know how scary this choice is...
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:48 PM

I had my hysterectomy in October, removed one ovary and had complete pelvic floor repairs due to prolapse issues. At first I was miserable, to be honest & blunt. I had hot-flashes, night sweats and no desire whatsoever to be intimate with my husband. We too enjoyed a pretty active sex life up to the point that I started having all my issues a couple of years ago. To say I was upset that my drive & desire was no longer there would be an understatement. But one day about two months ago, approximately at month 4 post-surgery, everything "woke up". I was thrilled! My desire had increased to levels I haven't seen since my twenties (I'm 41 now)!!! The icing on the cake for me (well us really) is sex is so much more satisfying now because I'm no longer in any pain at all and in my experience at least it's so much easier to actually get to the big O. I was scared to death my loss of interest & desire had totally vanished until I had that one day where my body was finally saying "thank you sister, things are a go now"!

I kept one ovary for the hormone levels. I did not want HRT due to family history issues and my doctor & I both agreed that keeping one was better than none and the hormone issues that could arise. My belief is it outweighed the small chance that I could end up with ovarian cancer, but I know he will be monitoring me every year for that so I'm comfortable with my decision.

Good luck with your decisions!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 07:01 PM

I had a complete hysterectomy in 2008 at age 37. I started on the lowest dose patch (0.1 mg Climara) and things were fine until recently. The patch started burning my skin and causing serious itching, so I quit using it. Other than an average of 2 minor hot flashes a day, I'm doing fine without HRT! My sex drive doubled (maybe tripled!) since my surgery...as a matter of fact, I wish my husband could have the surgery! Wishing you the best of luck!!
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:11 PM

I have had a low sex drive for awhile. I don't know if it was hormonal or pain related, but I always wished I had a bigger desire for sex before the surgery however, since I have had surgery, sex is on my mind a lot. I had surgery 5 days ago, and should be miserable, but honestly sex has been on my mind 4 of the last 5 days. I so hope it stays that way once I am released to have sex again!!! I am 29 and married 10 years and I know my hubby would be on cloud 9 if my sex drive stayed this way. I have 1 ovary left.
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:22 PM

I am 8 1/2 weeks post op, after removal of one ovary, uterus, and cervix. My six week check up revealed that I still had some stitches around the cervical area and had to wait two more weeks for sex. My drive is still there but, I am still having pain around the area where the cervix used to be. I have found that regular KY, etc., has been very irritating since surgery (my check up really bothere me because my doctor uses a gkycerin brand) so we switched to a silicone based lubricant which is very slick and doesn't bother me at all. I wasn't sensitive to KY before but I think it might be the glycerin, so we are glycerin free. Anyway, the drive is there, just waiting for everything to fully heal. I am on a low dose pill to protect the one ovary from endo, but it hasn't affected me in terms of sex drive. I wasn't really concerned about my sex drive before surgery. I was in so much pain, I think I told her to just take it all. But my husband joined Mister Hystersisters to discuss it with other men.
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:32 PM

You go lucky your dr said only 2 weeks...I got four more at my post op appointment IT stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyzbornak View Post
I am 8 1/2 weeks post op, after removal of one ovary, uterus, and cervix. My six week check up revealed that I still had some stitches around the cervical area and had to wait two more weeks for sex. My drive is still there but, I am still having pain around the area where the cervix used to be. I have found that regular KY, etc., has been very irritating since surgery (my check up really bothere me because my doctor uses a gkycerin brand) so we switched to a silicone based lubricant which is very slick and doesn't bother me at all. I wasn't sensitive to KY before but I think it might be the glycerin, so we are glycerin free. Anyway, the drive is there, just waiting for everything to fully heal. I am on a low dose pill to protect the one ovary from endo, but it hasn't affected me in terms of sex drive. I wasn't really concerned about my sex drive before surgery. I was in so much pain, I think I told her to just take it all. But my husband joined Mister Hystersisters to discuss it with other men.
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:56 PM

I had my uterus, cervix and one ovary removed 19 months ago. I was 40 and my doctor wanted to leave one ovary if it was healthy so I wouldn't go into surgical menapause. Two days after I came home from the hospital I was laying in bed and my husband sat on the bed to get dressed. I scooted toward him and tried to undress him even though I couldn't physically do anything but lay in bed. My drive now is stronger than when i was in my twenties and dating my husband. The big "O"'s are better and stronger than before the surgery. Sex is much more pleasurable and intense because I'm not bleeding anymore and my swollen uterus is gone. Now that there is NO chance of getting pregnant we can do it wherever and whenever we want.

Good luck!! Sending (((hugs))) and prayers!!!!
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotice626 View Post
You go lucky your dr said only 2 weeks...I got four more at my post op appointment IT stinks!
Well maybe it should have been four, it is still kind of uncomfortable.trying to ease back into it.
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:14 PM

Cmae -

I was not able to keep my ovaries due to a diagnosis of endometrial cancer and being over 50 (close to menopause anyway).

Surgical menopause was very, very difficult for me. There are other conditions that can affect you such as osteoporosis and heart conditions. You really need to talk to your dr. thoroughly about this since you have a family history of ovarian cancer.

My libido did drop and I've had to figure out how to get to the new me and intimacy. My gyn-oncologist did allow me to have vaginal estrogen so that i could avoid vaginal atrophy.

I don't know if you could do a consultation with a gyn-oncologist. Even though you don't have cancer they might be able to give you some additional linformation of the risks based on your family history.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register