Question about vaginal odor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about vaginal odor Question about vaginal odor

Unread 04-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Question about vaginal odor

I was Googling in private to try to get some answers to a rather embarrassing issue and found this site. Due to the fact that I am young and have already had a hysterectomy; I thought that maybe it might be wise to have some support on the subject so as not to feel so alone and filled with questions.
So, I don't know that I should post this here and that was not my plan; however, here goes. I had my hysterectomy (partial, kept ovaries, cervix removed) on Feb 2. I am pretty well healed up. I don't seem to have any issues with um, wetness, but I always seem to have an odor. I thought at first it was a bladder thing as I do have Interstitial Cystitis but I can tell the difference between urine odor and vaginal odor at this point; and it is certainly vaginal. I read posts on here and most were women who were very post-op or had full hysterectomies which did not fit with my exact situation. So, I am concerned that I am going to have this weird smell forever. I know that the female parts usually are a self cleaning organ, but now that my vagina is just a tube so to speak, is it not so self cleaning? Even though I still have ovaries and can make wetness? Do I now have to douche? Is douching safe? Could it break the end of my new vaginal tube? Just so many questions; but the main one is the smell. I know I do not have an infection, I have already been treated with antibiotics and then anti-fungals; there is no discharge and no symptoms of infection. I appear to be clean as a whistle except this smell. Any thoughts? I will be very grateful and thank you so very much for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Re: Question about vaginal odor

Welcome! This place is great, isn't it. There are so many wonderful ladies here.
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:07 PM

Yes indeed, especially the ones who help me to put my questions in the right place. :embarrassed:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 01:34 PM

Have you been checked for BV?
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac4_11 View Post
Have you been checked for BV?
What is BV?
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Cherry Pitts,
I am not sure about the odor. Regarding douching, my doc said the vagina should be cleaner now than before. He did not recommend or discourage douching. I hope someone here can help you figure it out.
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Cherry Pits!!

Don't be embarrassed...it can take some time to learn to navigate the site.

As far as your issue with odor...I have a question for you, but it is kind of gross...okay, not kind of, it is, just plain gross....

Would you describe the odor as smelling like "old blood?" The reason I ask is that this odor is actually very common after any surgery in this area. I actually had it around my 4 to 5 week mark and I was told it was due to the internal stitches dissolving. It went away after a couple of weeks and has never been back. I was nervous as well because of course you think of odor, you think infection. That is not always the case.

Just a thought and something you might ask your about just to see if everything is okay with your healing.

The vagina is still self-cleaning even though you have the vaginal cuff. The secretions that your body makes to clean that area actually come through the vaginal wall, they do not come from the cervix as some people think. I don't know if your doctor recommends or discourages douching, that would be something you need to ask YOUR doctor. Every doctor is different. My is personally very ANTI-douching because he believes that douching can make it to where your vagina is no longer self-cleaning (or less self-cleaning).

Again, not sure what the odor is for sure, but one thing to keep in mind is that usually, a doctor wants to know if you have an "offensive or fishy" odor because that could definitely indicate infection. If it is the "old blood" smell, then that is fairly normal...gross, but normal. I would go a head and give your doc a call just to let him/her know what is going on and let them decide if it is something to be concerned about.

You are definitely not the only one who has had this question and yes, it is a personal question, but everything on this site is personal. Where else can you ask these things and get real answers from women who have already been there or are experiencing it at the same time as you?? That is why
Never be afraid or embarrassed to ask your questions...ask away. Chances are, you will find someone, somewhere who has been there and knows just what to say.

to you!! I hope you get some answers soon!!
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:37 PM

gmac4_11,

Yes, I have been checked for all infections. I was treated also with antibiotics right after surgery for 1 month then after 1 month my doctor put me on antifungals for 1 month to treat a nasty yeast infection. At my 2 month appointment all was well and passed all tests with flying colors!! :-)

Cofeeencake,

BV = Bacterial vaginosis
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:51 PM

Traci,
Thank you for all of the extra information. While I am pretty certain I do not have an infection; I will call my doctor and check with him again, just in case.

I do have another question for you... On the bottom of your post, you state that you had "Stage IV Endometriosis" how do you know what that? I also had my hysterectomy due to endometriosis; the only thing he told me other than I was able to keep my ovaries because the endometriosis hadn't spread to them and that when they looked into my uterus after the surgery that it was filled with endometriosis. He never mentioned a stage or that it even had stages. I know when I had cervical cancer; which was why they went ahead and removed that as well; just to keep the possibility of that coming back at bay and that they generally they do that; cancer and pre-cancer came in stages; but never heard of endometriosis coming in stages from any of my doctors. Could it be a doctor to doctor thing or is it a regular thing for it to have stages like cancer? Just curious; thank you.

Oh, and the odor, hmmmm, not quite sure how to describe it; it's not foul, foul, not pleasant, it's like dirty. Like I haven't washed myself even when I just have. Like if I just took a shower and 2 hours later I go to the bathroom and there's the smell again. I guess it could be like old blood and maybe sweat?
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:55 PM

In general....

I personally would not want to douche at all bleech!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register