Question about vaginal odor - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about vaginal odor Question about vaginal odor

Unread 04-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Re: Question about vaginal odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lftwthchrrypits View Post
Traci,
Thank you for all of the extra information. While I am pretty certain I do not have an infection; I will call my doctor and check with him again, just in case.

I do have another question for you... On the bottom of your post, you state that you had "Stage IV Endometriosis" how do you know what that? I also had my hysterectomy due to endometriosis; the only thing he told me other than I was able to keep my ovaries because the endometriosis hadn't spread to them and that when they looked into my uterus after the surgery that it was filled with endometriosis. He never mentioned a stage or that it even had stages. I know when I had cervical cancer; which was why they went ahead and removed that as well; just to keep the possibility of that coming back at bay and that they generally they do that; cancer and pre-cancer came in stages; but never heard of endometriosis coming in stages from any of my doctors. Could it be a doctor to doctor thing or is it a regular thing for it to have stages like cancer? Just curious; thank you.
There are 4 stages to endometriosis.
Stage I- Minimal
Stage II- Mild
Stage III- Moderate
Stage IV- Severe

The different stages are based on a few factors: where the implants are located, the amount and severity of the adhesions, and the size of the implants to name a few.

I am a bit surprised that your doctor said that you had endometriosis inside the uterus. Endometriosis is endometrium-like cells that implant outside the uterus in the pelvic cavity. I know there are some doctors that say that adenomyosis is "endometriosis growing into the walls of the uterus"....could this be what your doctor is referring to?

Have you checked out the Endometriosis Support forum? There is a lot of information there about both conditions. You could post any questions about endo in that forum.

Hope this helps a bit.

And also, I hope you hear back from your doctor about that odor. It may not be an infection, but I'm sure you would like some answers as to what it could be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Traci,

I will certainly have to ask him to clear up what exactly was going on inside my uterus when it was removed. I know it's kind of a moot point; but if it was not endomitriosis then I should probably know that and if it was then I should know at what stage it was. It appears I have a LOT of questions for my doctor beyond just what is this odor. I will certainly do some reading here and be making an appointment to find out just what is going on. Thank you so much for enlightening me; it seems I have been kept in the dark on a few too many things.
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:53 AM

Thank you so much for posting this question. I know you were embarrassed but you helped me so much!! I am two weeks post op and now have a "dirty" smell. I thought it was a HUGE deal. Thanks so much for putting yourself out there to the benefit of us all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lftwthchrrypits View Post
Traci,

I will certainly have to ask him to clear up what exactly was going on inside my uterus when it was removed. I know it's kind of a moot point; but if it was not endomitriosis then I should probably know that and if it was then I should know at what stage it was. It appears I have a LOT of questions for my doctor beyond just what is this odor. I will certainly do some reading here and be making an appointment to find out just what is going on. Thank you so much for enlightening me; it seems I have been kept in the dark on a few too many things.
A good thing to do is to ask for your pathology and surgical report and have him go over it with you IN DETAIL. If there is something you do not understand, ask him to explain it to you. You have a right to know what is going on with your body. It is not a moot point, you should know what it was.
Always ask questions...even if you think it is a silly question, it isn't, so ask it!!

to you, dear!!!
Unread 04-18-2012, 03:28 PM

I also had a weird smell and slightly heavier discharge around my 2nd week. I didn't think it smelled like "old blood" as stated in some of the forums, so I went to the doc - she told me as soon as she started to examine me that she could smell it and it was definitely an infection She put me on two very strong antibiotics and the smell was gone within 24 hours along with most of the discharge. My doc told me that even something as simple as coming in contact with normal every day bacteria/germs/etc can cause an infection. She never did say in particular if it was a yeast infection or what - but I'd recommend calling the doc, rather be safe than sorry and catch it early if it is anything to worry about Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register