Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had pre-op appointment.  nervous about epidural - never had one Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

Unread 04-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

I've never had an epidural - it doesn't sound nice at all to have no feeling in your lower body.

The pre-op visit made the whole thing seem real. It has been really hard to eat anything or sleep as my stomach is in constant knots and full of butterflies and nerves.

I know it will be okay - but somehow it feels a little lonely and scary. It has been nice to read posts you all have made and gain comfort and encouragement from them.

Thanks for being here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

Of course you have butterflies and stressing is totally to be expected. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I am a total lightweight and if I could get thru this anyone can!!

All of the hystersisters are here to listen & support you. Shout out when you need us. And thank god for this website & all the wonderful ladies here!!
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardbrain View Post
Of course you have butterflies and stressing is totally to be expected. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I am a total lightweight and if I could get thru this anyone can!!

All of the hystersisters are here to listen & support you. Shout out when you need us. And thank god for this website & all the wonderful ladies here!!
Thank you so much for your kind words. Any tips on stress relief? what helped you get thru it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 06:24 PM

I may not be the poster child on this one but here's my story.

I'm a Type A control freak & my job kept me and my mind busy during the day. The whole surgery thing was always lurking in the back of my mind. Nights were the worst especially as surgery got closer. I had my doc write a script for Xanax at my pre-op. took it only at night; just the week before surgery.

I made lists of lists of things that needed to get done, bought, packed, cooked or cleaned before the big day. Knocking off tasks helped too because I felt I had my 'house' in order.

In a nutshell I'd say I kept busy & had Xanax on hand for when it all was just too much.
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Personally, I can't imagine having this surgery with an epidural instead of general anesthesia. When I asked my dr about it, he said he always does GA because they tilt the table head-down during the surgery, and that is not conducive to patient comfort or an epidural working well. Obviously, your doctor doesn't do the same, but maybe you can ask him if GA or even light sedation is an option?

As for the "whole thing being real", I understand that. I don't have much advice, as I'm trying to get a handle on my own self right now, but I have been finding this board very helpful!
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:15 PM

So glad to hear you are doing well, keep resting , and here is to a speedy recovery. Thanks for all the advice and tips, looking forward to getting mine over with , eight weeks to go. I have already started to get the house ready . I too have to keep very busy. the recovery is going to be hard, I can't sit still either.
How do you pass the time ? and keep your sanity?
gems04
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:38 AM

I had a spinal anesthetic for my op and then was put under too. They do this so that post op for about 5 hours you have no pain at all. Worked a dream. I've also had 2 previous epidurals and have to say I have no problem about not feeling lower body. Ask for a relaxing med before hand and they will surely sedate you quite heavily too for the op. The only tiny bit of pain I had was not the local anesthetic they put in your spine (hardly felt it) but when they put the other needle in I feel pressure (not pain) and then a weird feeling which hurt (but not agony or anything of the sort) and felt like an electric shock! I said 'ouch' and by the time I'd uttered the words there was no more pain. Then you feel like your lower half is warm - like sitting in a warm bath or a heated car seat. Thats it. You then lie down and don't worry. When ever I have procedures I just let them take over, don't let myself worry or care and just think - its their job now to look after me and soon it will be over. Good luck and try not to think too much about it or allow yourself 10 mins a day to stress but thats it. Hugs xx
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Yesterday when i went to my Pre-op visit, my doctor talked to me about this she actually advised me against it if they offered it too me. I remember having this when i was pregnant so i wouldn't want it again if i didn't really need it. She told me that if i were to get it, it would make it harder for them to remove the catheter and could take longer for me to move after surgery.
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2JG View Post
Personally, I can't imagine having this surgery with an epidural instead of general anesthesia. When I asked my dr about it, he said he always does GA because they tilt the table head-down during the surgery, and that is not conducive to patient comfort or an epidural working well. Obviously, your doctor doesn't do the same, but maybe you can ask him if GA or even light sedation is an option?

As for the "whole thing being real", I understand that. I don't have much advice, as I'm trying to get a handle on my own self right now, but I have been finding this board very helpful!
It's BOTH an epidural and general. The epidural is for pain management.

I can't imagine staying awake.
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:32 PM

i had a epidural for my surgery first one ever it was not that bad really...they did end up knocking me out at the 5 hour mark since i was starting to feel a bit off what was going on and i still had another hour left before they were going to be done......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register