Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

Had pre-op appointment.  nervous about epidural - never had one Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

Thread Tools
  #11  
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

  Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdie View Post
I had a spinal anesthetic for my op and then was put under too. They do this so that post op for about 5 hours you have no pain at all. Worked a dream. I've also had 2 previous epidurals and have to say I have no problem about not feeling lower body. Ask for a relaxing med before hand and they will surely sedate you quite heavily too for the op. The only tiny bit of pain I had was not the local anesthetic they put in your spine (hardly felt it) but when they put the other needle in I feel pressure (not pain) and then a weird feeling which hurt (but not agony or anything of the sort) and felt like an electric shock! I said 'ouch' and by the time I'd uttered the words there was no more pain. Then you feel like your lower half is warm - like sitting in a warm bath or a heated car seat. Thats it. You then lie down and don't worry. When ever I have procedures I just let them take over, don't let myself worry or care and just think - its their job now to look after me and soon it will be over. Good luck and try not to think too much about it or allow yourself 10 mins a day to stress but thats it. Hugs xx
Thank you, this was helpful. I like the 10 minutes a day to stress. Right now I'm crazy busy so it's good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

Hi Miss E.
I'm three weeks post op on a TAH. The anesthesiologist said they were going to do an epidural as I was lying on the table in the surgery room. I said fine, figuring it was because I had asthma and allergy issues.

The epi was fine, I slept anyway, only woke up once feeling the drs. hands inside me, felt painful, so I just groaned a bunch and I guess they gave me another shot b/c then I was completely out until the surgery ended and my Dr. was looking down at me saying that it went very well.

Had a catheter in for one day, then out the second day and I was walking.

My recovery has been amazingly pain free (after the first 4-5 days) and fast, but I am being VERY CAREFUL because I have a tendency to push myself and do too much and I DON'T want to take any chances here. I received lots of warnings about women who were feeling well and hurt themselves by overdoing it.

It's all a journey... I wish you well on yours, sending a reservoir of healing energy for your recovery time, and courageous energy for you as you go in.

Big hug,
becky
  #13  
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

  Quote:
Originally Posted by beckykemery View Post
Hi Miss E.
I'm three weeks post op on a TAH. The anesthesiologist said they were going to do an epidural as I was lying on the table in the surgery room. I said fine, figuring it was because I had asthma and allergy issues.

The epi was fine, I slept anyway, only woke up once feeling the drs. hands inside me, felt painful, so I just groaned a bunch and I guess they gave me another shot b/c then I was completely out until the surgery ended and my Dr. was looking down at me saying that it went very well.

Had a catheter in for one day, then out the second day and I was walking.

My recovery has been amazingly pain free (after the first 4-5 days) and fast, but I am being VERY CAREFUL because I have a tendency to push myself and do too much and I DON'T want to take any chances here. I received lots of warnings about women who were feeling well and hurt themselves by overdoing it.

It's all a journey... I wish you well on yours, sending a reservoir of healing energy for your recovery time, and courageous energy for you as you go in.

Big hug,
becky
Thanks Becky! I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I tend to push myself as well - really struggle to stay still and rest when I feel better. I'm going to try and not do much work the first week (can access my work on my laptop), but hope to be back in the office the following week if possible at least part time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

Oh honey, please don't have those expectations re: work. I swear I'm having probably the best recovery of anyone one my post-op thread (about a doz women who all had surgery the week that I did, and I'm at the end of the week). We've all had similar experiences of crazy ups and downs in energy, NO ONE has been up for much work during the first few weeks. The consensus is that recovery is much more difficult than any of us had imagined. The best thing is to take it very slowly and allow yourself all the time you might need.

I'm used to being a super-achiever, also work from home on my laptop. Week 1 was a fog the first few days (heavily medicated), was able to get some work done for a few days but then part of week 2 and week three went back to couch potato land--reading a novel or watching a movie was a big accomplishment. Not just my body but also my psyche rebelled at being pushed to work. Went through periods of extreme spaciness and also exhaustion. And I don't have the pain issues that some of the others have had.

Now at three and a half weeks I'm finally able to get some good work done, but still have to rest a lot (I worked pretty hard online today but then was very tired when out for dinner with friends tonight--just isn't the energy to do it all).

You just don't know which days you'll have some energy and which days you'll be incredibly tired. Your body has been through a major shift and I guess it just takes a lot of time to adjust. If you have no expectations the first three weeks, then anything you get done will feel good. If you expect to carry on life pretty much as normal after the first few days, I guarantee you'll be very frustrated.

It's a fascinating journey. I wish you well!!

becky
  #15  
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

  Quote:
Originally Posted by beckykemery View Post
Oh honey, please don't have those expectations re: work. I swear I'm having probably the best recovery of anyone one my post-op thread (about a doz women who all had surgery the week that I did, and I'm at the end of the week). We've all had similar experiences of crazy ups and downs in energy, NO ONE has been up for much work during the first few weeks. The consensus is that recovery is much more difficult than any of us had imagined. The best thing is to take it very slowly and allow yourself all the time you might need.

I'm used to being a super-achiever, also work from home on my laptop. Week 1 was a fog the first few days (heavily medicated), was able to get some work done for a few days but then part of week 2 and week three went back to couch potato land--reading a novel or watching a movie was a big accomplishment. Not just my body but also my psyche rebelled at being pushed to work. Went through periods of extreme spaciness and also exhaustion. And I don't have the pain issues that some of the others have had.

Now at three and a half weeks I'm finally able to get some good work done, but still have to rest a lot (I worked pretty hard online today but then was very tired when out for dinner with friends tonight--just isn't the energy to do it all).

You just don't know which days you'll have some energy and which days you'll be incredibly tired. Your body has been through a major shift and I guess it just takes a lot of time to adjust. If you have no expectations the first three weeks, then anything you get done will feel good. If you expect to carry on life pretty much as normal after the first few days, I guarantee you'll be very frustrated.

It's a fascinating journey. I wish you well!!

becky
Thank you for this honest answer. This is the part I am almost dreading more so than having the actual surgery. I'm use to being on the go - love my job, love cooking and caring for my family.

People have told me such a wide variety of things to expect - two people told me that they were back at it after one week - but both those individuals had their surgeries years ago and I wonder if memory faded as to how hard it was.

The pre-op nurse told me that becuase I was in such great shape physically, that I would probably feel great by the week-end. But I think she meant pain wise, not energy wise.

It will be so hard for me to lay low as I will struggle with feeling guilty just picking up a crochet hook for a while, or reading a chapter in a book instead of getting some work done. No-one expects me to do anything, they are all very loving and want me to feel better. I have some fabulous friends caring for me by bringing meals and offering to help with any household chores I may have.

Not being able to do household things like laundry alone will be so hard for me. My family is more than willing to help - so I will have to get better at asking them. My girls (two high school, one middle school) are more than willing to spoil me as is my husband. My two boys are in college - but would also help I know.

Anyway - sorry for the rambling reply. I wish the recovery part would be quicker - but will have to learn to just relax.

Again - thank you for your very honest reply - I really want to know what to expect and this was helpful.
  #16  
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

Miss E...my surgery has been a part of a major, life-changing paradigm shift for me. This is the physical aspect of the shift. Part of my lesson has been learning to receive. The old paradigm--"it is BETTER to give than to receive" has made me a big "giver" and left me inept at receiving, so that is part of my lesson now.

Your recovery plan sounds like mine--friends bringing meals by and stopping in to chat. This turned out be be a very precious time, something I don't normally take the time to do (visit individually with friends) but want to keep in my life now that I've experienced it.

Your friends and family sound wonderful. How special to give them the opportunity (difficult as it may be) to "love you up" and bless you with their unique gifts. I sense that this will be a VERY SPECIAL time for you, a unique and precious journey. I also sense that you are dearly loved, and this is the opportunity for many people to show you just how loved, appreciated and respected you are.

My recovery journey has been, overall, a very happy and healing time, healing on many levels. I wish the same for you.

I'm going to sign off for the time being as I'll be traveling and focused on my cousin who just helped her aunt die last night (another journey...). So my attention will be elsewhere but I wish you the very, very best both going into surgery and post-op.

Hugs and blessings,
becky
  #17  
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:45 AM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

Miss E, I am now 17 days post-op and my advice regarding post-op recovery is try not to plan how it will be. Women vary hugely in their speed of recovery, energy levels etc. and it seems to be quite unpredictable. I am very slim, very fit, 49 years old but feel 35 and expected to recover super quick. I cannot believe how tired I am. Not necessarily needing to sleep loads (although did have a 2 hour nap yesterday afternoon ) but just lacking in energy. I also can't believe how heavy my pelvic floor gets when I'm up and around too much. There is no way I'm going back to work even part-time until 5 weeks are up if not 6. I found the first few days back at home tough because it felt so wrong to be doing nothing but now that I can help out a bit I'm fine. I've just got myself into a 'I need to heal and will listen to my body' zone because I know that if I push it, the healing will just take longer. This is a very long winded way of saying just wait and see how you are - you may be a super women and recover very fast or not. But listen to you body and don't feel guilty. Hugs to you!
  #18  
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:58 AM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

  Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Elaineous View Post
I've never had an epidural - it doesn't sound nice at all to have no feeling in your lower body.

The pre-op visit made the whole thing seem real. It has been really hard to eat anything or sleep as my stomach is in constant knots and full of butterflies and nerves.

I know it will be okay - but somehow it feels a little lonely and scary. It has been nice to read posts you all have made and gain comfort and encouragement from them.

Thanks for being here.
I am 2 weeks away from surgery and hoping it doesnt get cancelled again. But I do know about the epidural, and I would tell the dr no on doing this surgery with an epidural. They do not always numb you completely or at least the two I had did not and when my tubes got done I had to take a third one just 30 minutes after my second one. they are uncomfortable to get in your back. And my lower back has always been a tender spot since I had to have so many at one time. Hope all goes well.
  #19  
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

  Quote:
Originally Posted by beckykemery View Post
Miss E...my surgery has been a part of a major, life-changing paradigm shift for me. This is the physical aspect of the shift. Part of my lesson has been learning to receive. The old paradigm--"it is BETTER to give than to receive" has made me a big "giver" and left me inept at receiving, so that is part of my lesson now.

Your recovery plan sounds like mine--friends bringing meals by and stopping in to chat. This turned out be be a very precious time, something I don't normally take the time to do (visit individually with friends) but want to keep in my life now that I've experienced it.

Your friends and family sound wonderful. How special to give them the opportunity (difficult as it may be) to "love you up" and bless you with their unique gifts. I sense that this will be a VERY SPECIAL time for you, a unique and precious journey. I also sense that you are dearly loved, and this is the opportunity for many people to show you just how loved, appreciated and respected you are.

My recovery journey has been, overall, a very happy and healing time, healing on many levels. I wish the same for you.

I'm going to sign off for the time being as I'll be traveling and focused on my cousin who just helped her aunt die last night (another journey...). So my attention will be elsewhere but I wish you the very, very best both going into surgery and post-op.

Hugs and blessings,
becky
Thank you Becky. I'm so sorry for your cousin and have prayed for you and your cousin during this difficult time.

You are right about the journey - at first I didn't want to tell anyone. Then wanted to tell just people who would be affected by my absence at work. Finally, I realized the blessing I get when I get to serve and help others. I have loved serving them because people matter and everyone should feel loved.

I finally just surrendered and let people plan to take care of me. I have decided to enjoy this time. It has been hard, but it will be very healing for me and my family. I am surrounded with amazing individuals and so incredibly blessed. I know I just have to call and they will descend and clean my house, cook, and do laundry. This is something I hope to continue to provide for others after I get better.

Thanks again Becky for taking the time to respond. I hope you get a chance to read this - but no response is needed. I wish you all the best as you serve your cousin during this difficult time.
  #20  
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

  Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdie View Post
Miss E, I am now 17 days post-op and my advice regarding post-op recovery is try not to plan how it will be. Women vary hugely in their speed of recovery, energy levels etc. and it seems to be quite unpredictable. I am very slim, very fit, 49 years old but feel 35 and expected to recover super quick. I cannot believe how tired I am. Not necessarily needing to sleep loads (although did have a 2 hour nap yesterday afternoon ) but just lacking in energy. I also can't believe how heavy my pelvic floor gets when I'm up and around too much. There is no way I'm going back to work even part-time until 5 weeks are up if not 6. I found the first few days back at home tough because it felt so wrong to be doing nothing but now that I can help out a bit I'm fine. I've just got myself into a 'I need to heal and will listen to my body' zone because I know that if I push it, the healing will just take longer. This is a very long winded way of saying just wait and see how you are - you may be a super women and recover very fast or not. But listen to you body and don't feel guilty. Hugs to you!
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm a planner - I plan everything. I do once a month cooking, schedule laundry times etc. I like my world organized. :0) This will be an interesting learning experience to not be able to plan the recovery. I love my job, I love being on the go. I rarely just sit and do nothing. Even when watching TV I crochet.

I'm also very fit, exercise regularly and feel much younger than my 42 years.

Guess I'll have to learn how to just be still. Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
10 Replies, Last Reply 11-11-2009, Started By Zippy1!
7 Replies, Last Reply 08-02-2008, Started By BeeWitch
12 Replies, Last Reply 06-14-2007, Started By strongredhead
4 Replies, Last Reply 06-10-2007, Started By strongredhead
10 Replies, Last Reply 06-29-2006, Started By spiritmaiden
8 Replies, Last Reply 06-14-2006, Started By oneofseven
40 Replies, Last Reply 02-03-2006, Started By glorious1
12 Replies, Last Reply 09-14-2005, Started By kselibrary
3 Replies, Last Reply 02-18-2005, Started By jamhebert
5 Replies, Last Reply 12-19-2002, Started By Carridee
4 Replies, Last Reply 04-12-2002, Started By kmarie61
1 Reply, Last Reply 06-06-2001, Started By Evec
3 Replies, Last Reply 05-27-2001, Started By PAlady
3 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
1 Reply, No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause
3 Replies, The Road Less Traveled
9 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
7 Replies, Cancer Concerns - GYN
4 Replies, The Road Less Traveled
18 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

November 29,2020

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  


$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!
Advertisement


Advertisement