I feel like a recovery failure, 2 weeks post op - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I feel like a recovery failure, 2 weeks post op I feel like a recovery failure, 2 weeks post op

Unread 04-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Re: I feel like a recovery failure, 2 weeks post op

Thank you all so much! Wow, I no longer feel like a failure. I'm still just resting and walking some, not much progress, but knowing this is normal makes me feel so much better! You ladies are the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM

Good for you! 2 weeks is still very early in the process. I'm 5 weeks post-op and for the first time have had two days in a row where I have been up all day and felt pretty energetic. It just takes time and a huge amount of energy to heal.
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenobia11 View Post
mom and besties dont appear either......i am grateful for random acts of kindness from those i never expected....hubby will not spend five solid mins with me.....tosses me dinner and bails.....
Hi there! I'm so sorry that you aren't getting any support at home!!!! You are in my thoughts and I'm sending you lots of HUGS, HUGS, HUGS!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 09:18 PM

Hang in there! You are doing great! I'm three weeks postop and am just now starting to feel up to doing a chore or two. I'm still taking pain meds too. Like these ladies said ...everyone heals at a different rate. I'm very happy for those healing quickly...but I'm not them..and that's ok. Hugs?
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:25 PM
I feel like a recovery failure, 2 weeks post op

I'm at 9 days and know what you are saying about the insomnia - I feel tired and ready to sleep, but as soon as my head hits the pillow my eyes pop open. I am already climbing the walls mentally, but physically can't do it! Hang in there and try find something that keeps your mind busy. I had DH dig into my craft closet to pull out a cross stitch project I started 20 yrs ago - it is helping and who knows I may finish this darn stocking! ☺
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:47 PM

Oh hun, I am so sorry. I feel like your surgery sister since we went through it at the same time. I wish I could make it better. You need rest to heal. I know you know that, but I still need to say it. Not just rest; you need sleep. Everyone heals at different rates. You didn't just have a hysterectomy, you had 5 cuts made in your belly. That adds to it. I cannot compare my hyster to yours because everyone is different, but your hyster sounds like my appy. I had a laproscopic apendectomy back in August and they kept telling me it was the easiest surgery in the world and I would be on my feet in a matter of hours. I was in the hospital for 3 days. It took weeks before I could go grocery shopping or bend over or tie my shoes or brush my hair. Sleeping hurt because the staples would pull and those darn things were in for 3 weeks. It was pure agony. Even showering hurt. Because I hurt so much, I couldn;t heal. When your body is in pain, it spends it's efforts to make it stop and it cannot spend it's time healing. Make sure you are not in any pain. Discomfort happens, but pin needs to be nipped in the bud. At 3 weeks I called my surgeon because I couldn't even go grovery shopping at 3 weeks. Sitting on a couch in an upright position was too much for me. When I saw the surgeon he said that for some people, the stress of the incisions is worse than the stress of the surgery and the reason for it. It said it happens in about 2% of patients and when it does happen, to notify your surgeon of it. He had me start on vitamin with C, E, and D with a B complex and the difference by the end of another week was drastic. I took the same vitamin before my surgery and you know how I have healed. I have never bought into that stuff in my life ever, but I can see the difference in how well I am healing. Maybe try that. (Please check with doc first though)
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:51 PM

Thanks for your posts everybody! They have helped me a bunch.I'd be so lost without all my sisters! I actually slept 5 hours last night. ( felt like I won the lottery) . I'm hoping the insomnia will ease up a bit, as I looking forward to all these day naps and sleeping in mornings I've been reading about!
rainkeepfalling
Were those all separate vitamin bottles or did you find something that had all those vitamins in one pill?I've been taking a multi vitamin every day.I had an appendecttomy when I was 22 and had a 5 month old at home. I don't remember it being too awfully bad at all. maybe a week of pain, but nothing like this. It does seem weird that we all heal differently, even with different procedures.
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I feel like a recovery failure, 2 weeks post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathb911 View Post
Thanks for your posts everybody! They have helped me a bunch.I'd be so lost without all my sisters! I actually slept 5 hours last night. ( felt like I won the lottery) . I'm hoping the insomnia will ease up a bit, as I looking forward to all these day naps and sleeping in mornings I've been reading about!
rainkeepfalling
Were those all separate vitamin bottles or did you find something that had all those vitamins in one pill?I've been taking a multi vitamin every day.I had an appendecttomy when I was 22 and had a 5 month old at home. I don't remember it being too awfully bad at all. maybe a week of pain, but nothing like this. It does seem weird that we all heal differently, even with different procedures.
It was 2 Different vitamins. One was a multi and the other was a b complex vitamin. The pharmacist said they can all be found in some prenatals.
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Hi. I'm 3 weeks post op tomorrow and I feel exactly the way you described. I saw the doctor earlier this week and he said the bleeding was normal, but I di get alarmed when I see it, usually upon getting up or after moving around. Recovery is much slower than I had expected. The dr said I would feel 80 to 90% myself after 2 weeks. I had the Davinci. I think he needs to be more realistic with his patients and will tell him so sometime. I'm feeling frustrated because I only feel about 50%, on a good day. So take heart, rest, heal and be kind to yourself. We've been through a lot. Hugs
to you. Irene
Unread 04-19-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenevhj View Post
The dr said I would feel 80 to 90% myself after 2 weeks. I had the Davinci. I think he needs to be more realistic with his patients and will tell him so sometime. I'm feeling frustrated because I only feel about 50%, on a good day. So take heart, rest, heal and be kind to yourself. We've been through a lot. Hugs
to you. Irene
80 to 90%!!! I think doctors buy into the DaVinci advertising a little too easily. They are not the ones home recovering from this surgery. Yes, DaVinci can be a great option. I' m 5 weeks post-op, and the past couple of days I am finally feeling about 75%! At two weeks, I'd say I was about 30%! It just takes time to heal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register