not sleeping - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Re: not sleeping

Good luck, Pugwoman!

Sounds like you're preparing for the big transition in your dreamtime. It's a lot to get ready for.

I'm three weeks out of post-op. Have been processing a lot at night on this end as well, so you might want to have some sleeping assistance on hand for post-op.

Remember that whatever you don't get done today, you can probably ask someone to do for you. Be gentle with yourself going into surgery--you will certainly want to be gentle with yourself on the other end.

SO many women told me before surgery that I would feel like a different (new) person once my recovery was complete. That's what we all have to look forward to.

Best of luck, wishing you a very successful surgery and wonderful resting and healing time after. Keep that sense of humor going...

Hugs,
becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 12:57 PM

You are most definitely not a jerk for complaining! I know everyone feels your body needs sleep leading up to surgery, so it's aggravating when you can't - no matter the number of days! Cheers (sound of clinking glass of magnesium citrate) ; )

p.s. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm jealous you're going tomorrow. The 19th was my default date if anything got cancelled. I just want this over with! I hope yours goes really well.
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Thanks Becky and Ms Scout!! "Pugwoman" makes me smile. And you're not crazy Ms Scout. With a month of not sleeping of course you want it over with.

Not sure if I should say this here or not, but humor usually help me in these situations. My husband has nicknamed today the "s**tpocalypse"! I love him for making me laugh!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 01:07 PM

Hug that man! My husband's been really great too. Although, if he tries one more time to "relate to" my pain and pressure by likening it to his abdominal disturbances (he's joking, of course), I'm going to smack him!
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Pugwoman and Scout,
Bless both of your husbands for their humor. I hope they're as good at housecleaning as they are at making you laugh. More women on my post-op thread have overdone it b/c their houses were dirty and they got up and overdid it. Make sure you have a plan in place with your hubbies or whoever for cleaning--up to your standards...

Humor is absolutely essential, in my book. My first major hemmorage put me as an emergency case into a Mexican State Hospital (for the indigent) for 4 days. The day I got out a friend took a couple of photos, first of me sitting in bed in an oversized hospital gown after I'd just gotten up (not a pretty sight), and then showered, in a dress and beaming because I was getting to go home. The occasion for both photos was the serving of a liquid breakfast followed by a liquid lunch (green tea, juice and jello), my entire diet for the three day stay. I was holding the plastic plate with three styro cups and green jello in both photos.

When my friend emailed me the photos after surgery, I used them as before and after shots and wrote a funny piece on the Amazing New State Hospital Liquid Diet--Available only in Mexico! as my way of telling everyone (in a P.S.) about my illness and that surgery had been successful.

The amazing diet, weight loss guaranteed, included an emergency hospital stay (3 days minimum) and an extra sexy revealing designer hospital gown without any tacky ties in back, but did not include toilet paper, towels or the flight to Mexico (nor special instructions on how to open the bathroom door while carrying toilet paper and IV bag in one hand and holding the hospital gown closed with the other...) Most people got the joke, but some wrote back wondering how much weight I'd lost (!). Anyway, it a funny way to deal with what was at the time a challenging situation.

When you're at the castle dealing with your surgeries, think of me having to do the whole thing in Spanish and not speaking much beyond grocery shopping and pleasantries (So lovely to meet you!--good with that. What is that you're putting in my arm? --no way.) Trying to do it in a foggy, drugged state after surgery... not a pretty sight. It was good for learning new vocabulary, though, words like "nurse" and "pain" (two words for pain, little pain and BIG pain). When you get frustrated or fearful at the castle, try to imagine doing it all in a foreign language and then maybe it won't seem so bad...

Here's to all of you getting ready, and here's to your journey--all of it. Good luck and may you laugh a lot through it all.

Hugs again,
becky
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM

That's hilarious Becky!! I'm sitting here waiting for my "cocktail" to kick in so the laugh is much appreciated. Thanks!! I do have a fantastic husband who has told me more than once that he doesn't want me lifting a finger, he'll get me whatever I want, etc., so I have much to be thankful for.
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM

You're so welcome. If your husband has a twin...

I'll be napping in the sunshine tomorrow thinking of you in surgery and holding you in a light-filled, healing space.

best,
becky
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:28 PM

ilovemypug - get some sleep tonight, ok? Much luck tomorrow. We'll talk soon. If I'm up tonight with another bout of insomnia, I'll check and see if you've posted later tonight. I'm kind of hoping you aren't (for your sake)!
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:53 PM

Thanks so much ladies! You have no idea how much your support has helped me, and I really hope to return the favor next week. Unfortunately I'm still up as the first dose of magnesium citrate did NOTHING after six hours. After a bit of panic I called the doctor on call who informed me it was perfectly fine to enjoy a second glass. Fortunately it seems to be working now. (I keep having to take breaks from writing this, but I'm still laughing.) I'll probably be up for a bit still. It's totally fine though, I'm so close to the end and I know I'll get some good sleep soon. Take care!!
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:01 PM

Thoughts and prayers are sent your way for tomorrow. It's almost over and then your faced only with the recovery period. We'll be here for you. Good Luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register