Bowel Prep!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Prep!!! Bowel Prep!!!

Unread 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Bowel Prep!!!

So my surgery is set for April 30th and I am getting nervous!! I have read alot of stories here and I was wondering how everybody will be preparing for the bowel prep...Im thinking of going "light" 3-4 days before the surgery so that I dont end up with a sore bottom. ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Re: Bowel Prep!!!

HI HYSTER SISTER"lcb40" the bowel prep can be diffrent for every person do what your doctor tell you to do. I did my prep the day before march 21,2012 taking half at a time no food after starting, i thought i was gone to be running all day and the day of the surgery but i was find was very very hungery after last movement but was good , well be praying for you to have a easy bowel movement no one want a sore butt
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:55 AM

My surgery is also April 30th so we will suffer the BP together. I agree going light for 2 days before nothing spicy!!! Good luck. What do you have to use mine is the 64oz of miralax and Gatorade yuck!!!!! Oh well it means and end to pain I am all ready
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Thank You Lady G!!

Kris B. its good to know I have someone else going through it the same days as myself...I have a pre-op appt. next week and thats when we will go over the FUN STUFF!!! I hope its not a mag cit b/c I have done that one before and boy did it make me cry, it was aweful!!! And that was only half the bottle... Im not having any pain or discmfort with having fibroids I just look 5 months pregnant, and I guess thats why I feel nervous about this whole thing..I wish you luck and I cant wait to hear your story!!
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM

Hey ladies, I did the miralax and gatorade prep... if you can talk to your dr and ask for that one...my doc had a list of four options and recommended that. It was a good call, not so hard to drink, didn't even taste bad! I ate normally the day before, but super light the day of, following directions. To be honest, it really wasn't as bad as I expected! We are all different, so not sure how you will react, but I was able to do my normal getting ready for the next day activities in between RUNNING to the bathroom lol. And I started a little earlier than the literature said, so that I was able to go to sleep at 10pm with no worries about a repeat run. I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 am , so the no food or liquid after midnight was no prob for me. I did feel better after surgery knowing it was pretty much empty in there, and I ate really lightly afterward for about two days... oatmeal, jello, lots of water etc. Had 0 issues with bms or constipation, I really think the bowel prep helped with that!! Good luck, it's not fun, but it's really not as bad as I had feared.
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the advice sunnydays, I will mention the miralax for sure..It sounds better that the alternatives!!!
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM

My hysterectomy is scheduled for this Thursday the 26th and I have to do the bowel prep the afternoon before and I have to do the mag.cit and an enima before I go to bed which I am very nervous about because I have never done either of those. I am scared that I am still going to be having BM the morning of....
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Hi! I had my surgery on April 13th and did the prep the day before. My best advice is to start earlier if you can. I started drinking the gatorade/miralax at 6 pm as my doctor told me, but was up almost all night going to the bathroom. I had to check in at 7:30 am, and was still a little unsure if I was done going. Maybe it was just me, but if I were to do it again, I would definitely start earlier. Good luck to you!
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM

Hi sismarie32 - I am scheduled for this Thursday as well. It's coming up fast (after all the excruciating waiting for appointments, office visits, tests)!

Regarding bowl prep - I work from home, and luckily, my office is right next to the bathroom. I'm going to try to get a full day in of work, and race to the bathroom as needed. A sister who just had her hyst last week said that I should be fine doing that. I don't think it'll be too bad. Thinking positive!
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Bowel Prep!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Scout View Post
Hi sismarie32 - I am scheduled for this Thursday as well. It's coming up fast (after all the excruciating waiting for appointments, office visits, tests)!

Regarding bowl prep - I work from home, and luckily, my office is right next to the bathroom. I'm going to try to get a full day in of work, and race to the bathroom as needed. A sister who just had her hyst last week said that I should be fine doing that. I don't think it'll be too bad. Thinking positive!
I know after months of waiting , testing, and nerves it is finally going to come to an end. I have 2 children 5&3 thank goodness my husband is taking off work to be here to take care if the kids for a few days. I will be sending good thoughts your way in the day of our surgery...and to all others getting ready to have theirs ....I an so happy to have found this sight

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register