Scheduled LSH Had my Pre-OP this morning... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had my Pre-OP this morning... Had my Pre-OP this morning...

Unread 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Had my Pre-OP this morning...

Well...looks like I'm good to go. And I found out I have to do the Fleet's enema! I was hoping I got out of that!! Dang it! Oh well!

I'm usually never nervous...I've had other surgeries...D&C, c-sections, ablation, foot surgeries...but I'm starting to get a little bit this time.

I'll be glad when this is all over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Re: Had my Pre-OP this morning...

I have my pre-op today coming up - v nervous & am drawing a blank on what to ask as I've had surgery just 6 weeks ago & seemingly back to back medical appointments ever since - I've run out of puff! I just wish I could press the fast forward button & get past next Tuesdays op (actually while there I might skip the 6 week recovery too!!)
Hope you keep steady & well. Any advice on stand out questions you asked at your pre-op??
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM

I work in the medical field which sometimes isn't a good thing! I have already gotten a lot of information from co-workers and in some cases TMI! I feel pretty comfortable from a "clinical" stand point. I know what's scheduled to happen and all of that but I'm definitely starting to get a little nervous this time which is pretty unusual for me. Good luck to you too!! I have to wait until Wednesday morning so I'll be looking for a post from you on Tuesday post-op!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 05:06 PM

Lol - my partner is a doctor so I'm in a similar position - the technicalities are all good...it's just the realities!! I think the next few days will all be about making nice things (another wheat bag to use as a heat pack etc), many meetings to clear the decks of work & obligations, & gardening, play & housework on the weekend! By the time I get to the hospital I should be hanging out for a rest!!! Will let you know as soon as coherent how it's gone!!
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Hi ladies, I am on the other side had my LSH on Thursday - 6 days post op and the worst part about recovery was the night of the surgery because I was vomiting from anesthesia and the first BM. Took me 6 hours yesterday to finally go and it was like giving birth (sorry TMI) and I have been taking stool softners, drinking plenty and eating prunes and drinking prune juice. Other than that I am so happy I did this surgery aside from being a little sore - I feel so much better already! This was definitely the best decision! I know things will only get better from here! Good luck!
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the encouragement shellybards!!
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly66 View Post
I work in the medical field which sometimes isn't a good thing! I have already gotten a lot of information from co-workers and in some cases TMI! I feel pretty comfortable from a "clinical" stand point. I know what's scheduled to happen and all of that but I'm definitely starting to get a little nervous this time which is pretty unusual for me. Good luck to you too!! I have to wait until Wednesday morning so I'll be looking for a post from you on Tuesday post-op!
I would love to know more - like how the heck they get the uterus out vaginally.

I wish you all the best - having that pre-op makes it feel real doesn't it.
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybards View Post
Hi ladies, I am on the other side had my LSH on Thursday - 6 days post op and the worst part about recovery was the night of the surgery because I was vomiting from anesthesia and the first BM. Took me 6 hours yesterday to finally go and it was like giving birth (sorry TMI) and I have been taking stool softners, drinking plenty and eating prunes and drinking prune juice. Other than that I am so happy I did this surgery aside from being a little sore - I feel so much better already! This was definitely the best decision! I know things will only get better from here! Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to stock up on stool softener. :0)
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Elaineous View Post
I would love to know more - like how the heck they get the uterus out vaginally.

I wish you all the best - having that pre-op makes it feel real doesn't it.
It certainly does!! My nurse was great today though! She was very encouraging and said "you will be so happy when it's done!" Made it a little easier.
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:08 AM

Hi Butterfly66 - had the pre-op today - two nurses, two doctors, two and a half hours of talking back and forth between them all!...was all good, though the surgeon seems to have had his funny bone removed (humourless man, but very factual - when he said goodbye and see you next week I joked that we'd recognise each other coz we would be the ones in the funny hats or I'd make sure to wear a pink carnation, and his reply was "that's against our health and safety policy"...oh dear.) Discussed all my fears about post-op pain management, about the what-ifs, got the bowel prep meds and instructions (it just gets more and more fun right?!) and talked over the quirks and frustrations of this all and feel much better (though a little exhausted) for it. So all set for the op next week.
One interesting thing the nurse explained to me is some insurance companies may have longer exclusion clauses than the estimated 6 weeks the hospital directs for not being able to drive after major abdominal surgery...had not thought of this (or read it online here), so will be checking this out.
Anyway, the op is in the afternoon on Tuesday, but I'm in Australia so with time lags I hope to have something up before you go in. Best of luck with it all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register